• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Valid confusion?

cherchair

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've always tested as an INFJ, except for one online personality test that came out INFP, which is also a pretty good fit in some ways.

Still, almost everything on the "You know you're an INFJ when..." thread resonated strongly, not only for me but for my partner of 15 years.

Then I took the cognitive Processes test recommended on another What's my type thread and came out an ENFP, which fit not at all, but there was a recommendation to look at INTP as an alternative. I did and there were some things that fit.

The thing that fits best in the INFP type description is the gap between my verbal (oral) and written skills. It's so extreme that in college--and particularly in law school, where the Socratic method drove me crazy--professors on more than one occasion questioned whether the written work I turned in was actually my own. When I have something important to say to a loved one, I often write a letter or send an email.

On the other hand, I'm very decisive and extremely picky about everything from what I eat to what I wear. Except for my desk, which looks like it's been hit by a grenade, everything else in my house/life has an assigned place and everything is in its place. I am always early whenever possible (since I take public transpotation everywhere, this isn't always possible and when a bus or paratransit van is late, I get a little nuts), but all this means, I think, is that I could still be a P with some J characteristics.

I'm a 4w5 sx on the Enneagram, though I don't know enough yet about the Enneagram to know if that relates or not. I tend to analyze to the point of paralysis at times, but I'm occasionally (rarely) impulsive...usually when manic or hypomanic, so how much this has to do with the mood disorder, I don't know.

Any thoughts anyone?

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The cognitive processes test is far from reliable, so I wouldn't worry about that. I'd also say that ALL INXX types express themselves better in writing than verbally.

The analysis paralysis you mention arises from our tertiary Introverted Thinking (Ti) function, which can run away with itself at times and make us seem like a manic INTP for a while, until order is restored. Mania/hypomania can be a lot worse when the Inferior Extraverted Sensing (Se) kicks in - this can also make us impulsive, shallow and highly distractible.

To sum up: you sound like a perfectly normal INFJ to me (OMG I used the words "normal" and "INFJ" in the same sentence - is that allowed?) :unsure:

cherchair

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
The cognitive processes test is far from reliable, so I wouldn't worry about that. I'd also say that ALL INXX types express themselves better in writing than verbally.

The analysis paralysis you mention arises from our tertiary Introverted Thinking (Ti) function, which can run away with itself at times and make us seem like a manic INTP for a while, until order is restored. Mania/hypomania can be a lot worse when the Inferior Extraverted Sensing (Se) kicks in - this can also make us impulsive, shallow and highly distractible.

To sum up: you sound like a perfectly normal INFJ to me (OMG I used the words "normal" and "INFJ" in the same sentence - is that allowed?) :unsure:

Thanks. This was really helpful and explains a lot. I don't however, think it's quite kosher to use "normal" and "INFJ" in the same sentence, though it may be allowed.;)