User Tag List

First 1234 Last

I see INTP as a likely possibility, but definitely keep considering INFP and INFJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Kora View Post
    Have you tried cognitive functions? You may be relating to both INFJ and INTP due to Ti and a developed Fe.
    Is there a solid online evaluation of functions? I saw one linked to multiple times, but when I went to the site it had been taken down.

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Emotions...values....strong morals.... doesn't sound like you're really on my team.
    Are Ts really, truly supposed to be void of any emotions or values?

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by kav2330 View Post
    Are Ts really, truly supposed to be void of any emotions or values?
    Nah... for you I'd try to zoom in to how thinking/feeling relates to your decision making processes.

Which side do you relate with more?

From wiki:

Thinking and Feeling are the decision-making (Judging) functions. The Thinking and Feeling functions are both used to make rational decisions, based on the data received from their information-gathering functions (Sensing or iNtuition).

Those who prefer Thinking tend to decide things from a more detached standpoint, measuring the decision by what seems reasonable, logical, causal, consistent and matching a given set of rules.

Those who prefer Feeling tend to come to decisions by associating or empathizing with the situation, looking at it 'from the inside' and weighing the situation to achieve, on balance, the greatest harmony, consensus and fit, considering the needs of the people involved.

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Nah... for you I'd try to zoom in to how thinking/feeling relates to your decision making processes.

Which side do you relate with more?

From wiki:

Thinking and Feeling are the decision-making (Judging) functions. The Thinking and Feeling functions are both used to make rational decisions, based on the data received from their information-gathering functions (Sensing or iNtuition).

Those who prefer Thinking tend to decide things from a more detached standpoint, measuring the decision by what seems reasonable, logical, causal, consistent and matching a given set of rules.

Those who prefer Feeling tend to come to decisions by associating or empathizing with the situation, looking at it 'from the inside' and weighing the situation to achieve, on balance, the greatest harmony, consensus and fit, considering the needs of the people involved.
    I'm trying to figure this out, I really am.

Okay. When I make a decision, I think that I do make decisions based on what I see as reasonable and practical, but at the same time, the "values" thing is still throwing me off: it is imperative to me that the decision be "right". I'm not going to do something immoral because practically speaking, it's more efficient, and though I try to reach a compromise between people, I fully accept that most practical decisions cannot please anyone, and live with it. In that way I do understand the idea of being detached from the decision-making process.

That said, I also feel like it's impossible to not take people into consideration at all, and that that can very much relate to T-related aspects: knowing how a person might react to the decision could play into the decision itself if a reaction could impede or alter the results... does that make sense?

Another thing that keeps tripping me up from coming down on F is that I don't give compliments or express positive feelings easily or at all. If my friends and family had to complain about me, I'm sure they would say that (1) I can be ridiculously stubborn, (2) I don't directly express affection for them. (This is not a guess; I've had people tell me this directly.) While I sort of feel bad that they feel that way, it's just how I am with that stuff. I hate things that I perceive as overly mushy or sentimental, and can't and won't force myself to partake in them.

Also, outside of my friends and family, I am very short-tempered with people, though I don't outwardly express it. I'll get so annoyed at someone for forgetting to turn off their phone in a theater, or walking too slowly in the middle of the sidewalk, or providing incompetent service, and I have no threshold for that (though I would never say or do anything about it except complain to myself/maybe someone else). One of my biggest frustrations with myself is that I wish I could be more assertive with people. I'll readily argue with friends, but avoid it with strangers unless absolutely necessary because I don't want confrontation, but at the same time I'm endlessly frustrated at myself for not being more able to do that, and somewhat envy those who can. (EDIT: I feel like this is probably a lot more I/E than T/F now that I reread it)

I'm really so torn between these three types.

Oh, hey, I don't know if it helps, but I wanted to throw out that in school I majored in Linguistics. I wasn't ever planning on it; I took the intro class on somewhat of a whim and fell in love. I loved the puzzle-ish nature of the subject, and the fact that the answers were all in your own subconscious.

Just a thought.

Oh, hey, I don't know if it helps, but I wanted to throw out that in school I majored in Linguistics. I wasn't ever planning on it; I took the intro class on somewhat of a whim and fell in love. I loved the puzzle-ish nature of the subject, and the fact that the answers were all in your own subconscious.

Just a thought.
    I was also interested in and took Linguistics in college.

I may be leaping, but I can't help but notice a trend where INFJs aspire to INTPness thereby confusing what IS with what they'd rather BE. It would make sense as we value and respect controlling emotional reactions/expressions. I think being logical, controlled, and flexible are qualities that INFJs admire and struggle to master.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

INFJ with a strong tertiary Ti

What you've studied in college has very little to do with your type. Why you've studied it might.

MBTI
    INTJ

The more I think about it, the more I think that these J elements did appear later. When I was in school, I think I exhibited a lot of P traits that I mentioned before: things like studying, traditional note-taking and memorizing, and outlining papers of presentations would really throw me off and actually make me do worse.

I think I've falsely misinterpreted P to be very... I guess laid-back, but maybe more in a lazy sense? I'm very determined and hard-working when I set my mind to something and it's something I care about, and I can be stubborn beyond reason. The more I read though, the less these things seem J to me after all.

Now I'm actually leaning really heavily towards INFP, haha. Maybe my indecisiveness on this is indicative of a P nature? Also, would that help explain identifying a bit with both INFJ and INTP? Maybe?

What you said about focusing on younger life is interesting... what does that mean in terms of types? Do people change types throughout their life, or do they just get more balanced and strengthen their "weaker" functions?

(Thanks so much for all the insight; I really appreciate it)
    You develop your first two preferences when you are younger, then balance out more later on.

My sister is an INFP.
    She is very hard-working and determined.
    She does tend to press her deadlines to the very last minute.
    P is usually more flexible than J.
    Ps can come across as casual and/or playful.

Js need closure.
    Ps need openness (opposite of closure).

MBTI
    INFJ

There is absolutely nothing you have written that doesn't apply to me, it's uncanny really.

Whatever type you are i'm pretty sure we are the same type. I think i'm INFJ with well developed thinking, but i'm not 100% sure.

Some people are just really hard to type.