User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Genesis View Post
    You're sounding more like an INFP to me.

How definite are your deadlines for these goals? Would you be open to postponing them, or tweaking them as you go along?
    Oh, no. I've done some more reading and now I do see that INFP is a possibility too. Yeesh. :P

I don't think I really have deadlines for long-term goals. Maybe that comes down on the P-side.

A couple things I kind of want to throw out there: I feel like I'm comfortable (and often have to) be spontaneous with things that I'm in control of... as in, if I'm making a presentation or, as I mentioned, writing a paper, I almost have to do it with minimal notes or outlines or rehearsal; I actually come off as a lot more natural and organized when I wing things like that. When it comes to things like that, I'm very quick on my feet. Is this P-heavy?

As a "both", I seem physically disorganized to people: I can have a messy workspace, but at the same time it makes sense to me, and if I need to find something I will usually know where in the madness that something is when I need it... if that makes any sense.

Finally, the case for "J": when it comes to things that involve circumstances out of my control, I do get much more uncomfortable not having a plan. If I'm going to go somewhere, I need to have some idea of specifically what's going to happen, how long I can expect to be gone, etc. Even when planning outings/day trips with friends, I'm usually the one fighting to set a specific time and meeting place, say, whereas other people want to just have much more lax plans and figure it out as we go along. I also find myself having to organize practical things like that within a group: carpools, some kind of timetable, calling everyone to make sure they're up to speed and reminding them what they need to bring, etc. I feel that oftentimes if I don't do this, things will get screwed up and we'll lose time or, worse, miss whatever we're planning to do. (E.g., if we're going to see a movie, I'm not comfortable showing up at the theatre two minutes before it's scheduled to start).

I hope this is making sense. To reiterate but rephrase: I almost feel like I'm P with myself but J with other people? I tend to enforce a lot of the J stuff less if I'm doing something myself, and maybe this stems from a general distrust, who knows.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by kav2330 View Post
    Finally, the case for "J": when it comes to things that involve circumstances out of my control, I do get much more uncomfortable not having a plan. If I'm going to go somewhere, I need to have some idea of specifically what's going to happen, how long I can expect to be gone, etc. Even when planning outings/day trips with friends, I'm usually the one fighting to set a specific time and meeting place, say, whereas other people want to just have much more lax plans and figure it out as we go along. I also find myself having to organize practical things like that within a group: carpools, some kind of timetable, calling everyone to make sure they're up to speed and reminding them what they need to bring, etc. I feel that oftentimes if I don't do this, things will get screwed up and we'll lose time or, worse, miss whatever we're planning to do. (E.g., if we're going to see a movie, I'm not comfortable showing up at the theatre two minutes before it's scheduled to start).

This sounds like J behavior, but did you always feel this way? Were you this way between the ages of 8 and 20 or were you different from this? Because our type is most easily discernible when we are school-aged. After that, we begin developing our other traits and it can muddy the water.

MBTI
    INTJ

As far as your friends thinking you might be T.
    First of all, if you were INTJ, you wouldn't HAVE any friends
    and secondly, not all Fs are as diplomatic as that list makes them out to be.
    Some can seem downright tiger-like when you've crossed them.

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    This sounds like J behavior, but did you always feel this way? Were you this way between the ages of 8 and 20 or were you different from this? Because our type is most easily discernible when we are school-aged. After that, we begin developing our other traits and it can muddy the water.
    The more I think about it, the more I think that these J elements did appear later. When I was in school, I think I exhibited a lot of P traits that I mentioned before: things like studying, traditional note-taking and memorizing, and outlining papers of presentations would really throw me off and actually make me do worse.

I think I've falsely misinterpreted P to be very... I guess laid-back, but maybe more in a lazy sense? I'm very determined and hard-working when I set my mind to something and it's something I care about, and I can be stubborn beyond reason. The more I read though, the less these things seem J to me after all.

Now I'm actually leaning really heavily towards INFP, haha. Maybe my indecisiveness on this is indicative of a P nature? Also, would that help explain identifying a bit with both INFJ and INTP? Maybe?

What you said about focusing on younger life is interesting... what does that mean in terms of types? Do people change types throughout their life, or do they just get more balanced and strengthen their "weaker" functions?

(Thanks so much for all the insight; I really appreciate it)
    Last edited by kav2330; 11-11-2008 at 11:53 AM. Reason: typo

MBTI
    InFp
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFj

Also, would that help explain identifying a bit with both INFJ and INTP? Maybe?
    Yes. From what I've read here, INFPs can relate with many other type descriptions, and will believe they are actually a different type. For example, right now I'm still toying with the notion that I might be INFJ, ISFJ or ISFP even though I know that I fit the INFP profile better.

MBTI
    ENTP

-I also feel like I obsessively need to understand people: what motivates them, how they operate, what makes them do the things they do, and how they feel about what happens to them. When I encounter someone I can't readily "understand", I tend to become very intrigued and determined to make some kind of sense out of their behavior. I'm not sure where on the T/F spectrum this attribute falls either. It seems analytical T, but also emotionally relating to others.
    Analysis is breaking up something complex into smaller, simpler parts. It's not really possible to do that by observing someone's behavior unless you try to get scientific. But what you're doing is extrapolating or inferring motivation. That's NF.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    ENTP

Have you tried cognitive functions? You may be relating to both INFJ and INTP due to Ti and a developed Fe.
    5w4 - Idiosyncratic/Leisurely/Dramatic
    It's the devil's way now.

I'm thinking that Kav's well-developed T is confusing him/her, I've experienced this myself having been surrounded by Ts growing up and learning to develop my weakness.

Now unless I'm a completely fringe representation of INFJs, which I doubt, I can agree with 99.9% of her post as being self-identifying. Therefore, it stands to reason...
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Therefore, it stands to reason...
    That you're an INTP?

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

INFJ.

Emotions...values....strong morals.... doesn't sound like you're really on my team. Sorry, I bet you had your hopes up.