User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 62

Thread: Type confusion

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INXJ
    Posts
    33

    Question Type confusion

    I am quite confused about my type. I pretty much always test myself as INTJ; however, my wife usually tests me as other types. The last test she answered for me resulted in INFP.

    I have read the descriptions of various types. When the personalitypathways.com site was up, I broke it down into classes. I identify most with the introverted intuitives, extraverted thinkers, and introverted feelers. However, each of those descriptions apply to the classes having those dominate functions. I believe that I do identify fairly equally with the descriptions of the INTJ, INFJ, and INFP. I do identify somewhat with the INTP, but not nearly as much as the others.
    I can explain pretty thoroughly why I believe that I am an INTJ. However, I can explain pretty thoroughly why I could be other types as well. I realize that many people do have more than one main type. I am trying to narrow down my strongest function order so that my wife and I can learn to relate better. She is definitely an ENTJ.

    The kicker is that I am undeniably an Enneagram type 2. I would like to think I am more of a 9, but I cannot even fool myself. INTJ does not correlate with Enneagram type 2.

    Would someone please help me?
    Men's natures are alike, it is their habits that carry them far apart. -- Confucius

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    You can edit titles, you know. Anyway,

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    My best estimate would be INFJ. (Under my function system, this correlates to Feeling Primary/Intuition Support/Introverted.)

  3. #3
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    INTJs tend to deeply identify with the description; there are relatively few INTJs who aren't sure about their type.

    That being said, it's theory that's never going to be validated, so there's going to be holes in any description when superimposing an identity onto an individual. Some stuff is just not going to fit.

    If you identify with Ni/Te/Fi like you say you do, especially on top of finding more in common with the INxJ than the INTP, I'd say you're likely INTJ who just has healthily developed their Fi.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INXJ
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername
    INTJs tend to deeply identify with the description; there are relatively few INTJs who aren't sure about their type.

    That being said, it's theory that's never going to be validated, so there's going to be holes in any description when superimposing an identity onto an individual. Some stuff is just not going to fit.

    If you identify with Ni/Te/Fi like you say you do, especially on top of finding more in common with the INxJ than the INTP, I'd say you're likely INTJ who just has healthily developed their Fi.




    Thanks. That helps. I am pretty convinced that I am an INTJ. Like I said, I always test INTJ. However, the more I talk to my wife about it, the more I get confused because I do have strong tendencies toward other type characteristics. Plus, she knows me objectively probably better than I know myself at this point.

    Sorry about the other thread. I honestly don't know how that happened.
    Men's natures are alike, it is their habits that carry them far apart. -- Confucius

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falling2fast View Post
    Thanks. That helps. I am pretty convinced that I am an INTJ. Like I said, I always test INTJ. However, the more I talk to my wife about it, the more I get confused because I do have strong tendencies toward other type characteristics. Plus, she knows me objectively probably better than I know myself at this point.

    Sorry about the other thread. I honestly don't know how that happened.
    The search for justification is...Unlike that of an NT. You may well be INTJ, but if you're asking for analysis, which you did, I can't agree with that type yet.

  6. #6
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falling2fast View Post
    Thanks. That helps. I am pretty convinced that I am an INTJ. Like I said, I always test INTJ. However, the more I talk to my wife about it, the more I get confused because I do have strong tendencies toward other type characteristics. Plus, she knows me objectively probably better than I know myself at this point.

    Sorry about the other thread. I honestly don't know how that happened.
    Really?
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  7. #7
    ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INfj
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    Have you taken the cognitive function survey? Answer it based on who you are in a relax setting and perhaps that can be useful in identifying your type.

    Understanding the Eight Jungian Cognitive Processes / Eight Functions Attitudes

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    Zzzz
    Posts
    2,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falling2fast View Post
    The last test she answered for me resulted in INFP.
    Why is she answering tests for you?

    The kicker is that I am undeniably an Enneagram type 2.
    I'd rule out any NT due to this.

    INFP, perhaps.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INXJ
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeliriousDisposition
    Why is she answering tests for you?
    Because she doesn't believe that I'm an INTJ.

    Quote Originally Posted by DeliriousDisposition
    I'd rule out any NT due to this.

    INFP, perhaps.

    I'd go with that too, but I really do not make judgements based on feeling, my own at least. I do consider others' feelings, but that's only to achieve a certain end result. For example, I try to find the most diplomatic way of putting things so that I can maintain peaceful relations. I am perfectly able and willing to speak my mind, although most people say that my harsh isn't really so harsh.
    Men's natures are alike, it is their habits that carry them far apart. -- Confucius

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INXJ
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername
    Really?


    Yeah, I use a screen reader. I was typing the title, and the next thing I knew, the page was reloading and the thread had been posted. I tried to hit back not knowing how the application tracks the post and thread counts.
    Men's natures are alike, it is their habits that carry them far apart. -- Confucius

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-04-2009, 09:16 PM
  2. More Type Confusion-Drama
    By Nonsensical in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-23-2009, 06:50 PM
  3. Facebook MBTI and type confusion. Rarr.
    By whatnot in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 08-31-2009, 09:23 AM
  4. A couple of questions: typing, confusion, sex
    By lardman64 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-14-2009, 12:21 AM
  5. Type confusion
    By Wild horses in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-01-2009, 07:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO