User Tag List

First 4567 Last

Thread: Type confusion

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by falling2fast View Post
    Jen, what would you say is the most drastic difference between your personality and your husband's?
    Okay, I have to tell you that I and several others who I consider skilled at typing people think Jen is about 1,000 times more likely ESFJ than INFJ, so take any intertype dynamic advice with that grain of salt.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by falling2fast View Post
    Does anyone know about my X questions earlier? Also does anyone know if how you dream is affected by N/S or T/F functions? Are there resources I could trust concerning these topics?
    Okay, I answered the x question...

I have not noticed any correlation between type and dreaming,
    and neither have I ever read anything about such connections.

We have threads about dreams every so often.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Some of us use x in place of the proper letter when we don't know what it is yet.
    Type is not intended to be ambidextrous.
    In theory, you would be one very confused human being if you were not differentiated in your preferences.
    Well the actual MBTI and typology theories say people fall under one of 16 types. Their inherent type is fixed. Sometimes I wonder though whether a system using continuums might be more realistic.

Oh and I was using "X" before to indicate both types. INXJ for both INTJ and INFJ simply because I'm lazy.

Jack: Time to show off your people typing skills... why don't you try typing him.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Okay, I have to tell you that I and several others who I consider skilled at typing people think Jen is about 1,000 times more likely ESFJ than INFJ, so take any intertype dynamic advice with that grain of salt.
    So whats that 3, 4 people who have never laid eyes on me think that? I've had more than 10 tell me they believe I'm an INFJ (5 of who have actually met and spent time with me) and several who say ENFJ. Are you saying they're not intelligent enough to determine what type of person I am? This obsession of yours is becoming tiresome. Think you can go more than three days without mentioning what type I am? Odd behavior for someone who throws around an "I don't give a shit attitude" constantly.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    So what, is that 3, 4 people who have never laid eyes on me think that? I've had more than 10 tell me they believe I'm an INFJ (5 of who have actually met and spent time with me) and several who say ENFJ. Are you saying they're not intelligent enough to determine what type of person I am? This obsession of yours is becoming tiresome. Think you can go more than three days without mentioning what type I am? Odd behavior for someone who throws around an "I don't give a shit attitude" constantly.
    You've misinterpreted my attitude because you are ESFJ. The things we give a shit about are mutually exclusive, but I give just as much of a shit about my things as you do yours.

The people who happened to agree with me were already people I considered skilled "typists."

I was merely giving advice to the newcomer, as I naturally consider any "What it's like to be INFJ" advice coming from an ESFJ to lack accuracy.

MBTI
    INtP

Was going to ask you, Jack, if you've ever actually met Jen...

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    So what, is that 3, 4 people who have never laid eyes on me think that? I've had more than 10 tell me they believe I'm an INFJ (5 of who have actually met and spent time with me) and several who say ENFJ.
    ... but I guess not. Even if you think Jen's posts indicate ESFJ-ness (which I don't particularly see), it's difficult to type people (correctly) on that alone. Typing's by nature a pretty fuzzy classification system (by design, I think) - and there's always much more you don't see about others than you do see, which is why it's something you (and everyone, including Jen ) have to decide for yourself. Not that others' observations can't be useful, but thinking that you can "type" someone else definitively, against their own assessments, seems like a great way to be wrong.

Sorry for the partial off-topic-ness, Falling2Fast. I think that in the end, it's not particularly important which type you are or aren't - but if your assessment is telling you one thing, you should probably place more trust in your assessment than that of someone else - even someone like your wife, who knows you well.

When I read your first post, my thought was that your wife could very well be making an assessment of you based on a comparison with herself... I think many people tend to do that. Just because you're not a caricature of any given trait (MBTI-wise or not), doesn't mean that it doesn't apply to you. And there's nothing wrong with saying "Hmm, I'm sorta like INTJ, and sorta like INFJ, and sorta like INFP." That can be insightful too.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    Even if you think Jen's posts indicate ESFJ-ness (which I don't particularly see), it's difficult to type people (correctly) on that alone. Typing's by nature a pretty fuzzy classification system (by design, I think) - and there's always much more you don't see about others than you do see, which is why it's something you (and everyone, including Jen ) have to decide for yourself.
    Difficult? Not for everyone.

What you don't see is just as important as what you do see.

I don't know if you've noticed, but more SJs by FAR than NT, NF, or SP will make statements like "I don't fit any one type." I could go into the whys, but I won't.

Not that others' observations can't be useful, but thinking that you can "type" someone else definitively, against their own assessments, seems like a great way to be wrong.
    If I wasn't confident, I wouldn't argue it. Are you really going to tell me that the average ESFJ would be adept at typing herself or anyone else via analysis? I don't think you've thought this through, my friend.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Well the actual MBTI and typology theories say people fall under one of 16 types. Their inherent type is fixed. Sometimes I wonder though whether a system using continuums might be more realistic.
    I agree, I think that it's far more realistic. The axis of extroversion/introversion has been studied way more than MBTI functions, for instance, and it's been shown to be a spectrum, and includes ambiverts. If this contradicts MBTI, well, I say look to where more research has been done and side with that.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    I agree, I think that it's far more realistic. The axis of extroversion/introversion has been studied way more than MBTI functions, for instance, and it's been shown to be a spectrum, and includes ambiverts. If this contradicts MBTI, well, I say look to where more research has been done and side with that.
    Y'all should try that continuum system out, and let me know when you realize a continuum system doesn't relate to type classification, and has no practical use.

MBTI
    INtP

Difficult? Not for everyone.

What you don't see is just as important as what you do see.
    Just because you come to conclusions easily doesn't make you right. Doesn't make you wrong, but step back and think about it. Are you so stunningly insightful that you know the inner workings of complete strangers better than they know themselves, based on a few forum posts? Does the possibility that you're *not* seeing the whole person occur to you? What you don't see *is* important, like you say... but just because you can't see it doesn't mean that it's not there (especially for an online short-time acquaintance). Obviously we all have opinions about others on the forum as to type, etc., but trying to overrule someone else's self-assessment, stating a high likelihood or certainty? Like I said, a great way to be wrong.

I don't know if you've noticed, but more SJs by FAR than NT, NF, or SP will make statements like "I don't fit any one type." I could go into the whys, but I won't.
    Actually, I have NOT noticed this. The SJ's I know do not tend to say such things - they're actually quite confident in who they are, type-wise (and otherwise). What I have noticed is that sometimes, people with strong type preferences (person A) can tend to make assumptions about people who don't have (or do not display) strong preferences (Person B), and in such cases almost always assume that person B must somehow prefer the opposite of what person A does (I've caught myself doing this, and it's why I noted that Falling2Fast's wife may be assuming that he fits into one type simply because she exhibits an opposite type very strongly.)

If I wasn't confident, I wouldn't argue it. Are you really going to tell me that the average ESFJ would be adept at typing herself or anyone else via analysis? I don't think you've thought this through, my friend.
    You'll note that I used the word "assessment" and not "analysis." (I did, in fact, think it through.) While "analysis" may or may not be an appropriate word, I'm quite confident that an ESFJ (or anyone else - come on, even intp's can do it ) could learn about type and make decisions about what fits them best (note that I'm most certainly not conceding to your belief that Jen's an ESFJ.)

Y'all should try that continuum system out, and let me know when you realize a continuum system doesn't relate to type classification, and has no practical use.
    Just because it might not relate to type classification doesn't make it a) wrong, or b)impractical. Not everyone fits into a type so easily, especially when it comes to introversion/extroversion.

Anyway, I've said my bit. Sorry for the derailment, Falling2Fast, and good night all.