User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Thread: Type confusion

MBTI
    INXJ

Wow. I should have known. Lol.

Dream was the wrong word. I should have said, does function order affect how you view yourself in story context (first person, third person, etc.). Now, I realize that this isn't exactly a type dependant tendency; I was really wondering if anyone has analyzed the question on a deeper level. cognitive processes -> perceptions -> awareness -> ... It seems to me that an INTP would tend to internalize a story more so than an ENFP. I also realize that it is not as simple as that. However, some type of trend must exist even if it's a non-repeating pattern.
    Men's natures are alike, it is their habits that carry them far apart. -- Confucius

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    My INTJ husband believes dreams are something to do with blood flow to the brain or something like that. I don't think dreaming has anything to do with what type you are. This information might be useful.
    I'm INFJ, so I have bizarre dreams, period. However, when I sleep on my back, I have incredibly sordid night terrors. I've often wondered if gravity is putting more blood into my cerebellum - motor functions - my physical activities are much more vivid when I dream lying on my back. I find myself with precise dexterity and complicated movements. This is when dreams are of the most terrifying situations - perhaps lying on my back puts me in a more vulnerable position. So maybe it's a combination of blood flow and vulnerability. What do you think?

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by G.Kai View Post
    I'm INFJ, so I have bizarre dreams, period. However, when I sleep on my back, I have incredibly sordid night terrors. I've often wondered if gravity is putting more blood into my cerebellum - motor functions - my physical activities are much more vivid when I dream lying on my back. I find myself with precise dexterity and complicated movements. This is when dreams are of the most terrifying situations - perhaps lying on my back puts me in a more vulnerable position. So maybe it's a combination of blood flow and vulnerability. What do you think?
    I'm not sure. These days I rarely remember my dreams and when I sleep on my back I don't have nightmares but I do snore. Still I think there's more to dreams than just blood flow but I am less analytical with them at the age I am now, compared to when I was in my 20's. Some is probably physical and some a mental release.

When I was younger every now and then I would awake and feel as though something or someone was pushing me down. When I would try to get up it was impossible. It was terrifying and to this day I don't know what that was but I'd like to think I was dreaming and it was just a blood flow thing. To this day I can't sleep without the TV or a light on.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INXJ

Quote Originally Posted by G.Kai

Honestly, I wouldn't think that position alone would cause a difference in dreaming to that extent. I would consider what happens in your day to cause you to choose to sleep on your back.
    Men's natures are alike, it is their habits that carry them far apart. -- Confucius

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by falling2fast View Post
    Honestly, I wouldn't think that position alone would cause a difference in dreaming to that extent. I would consider what happens in your day to cause you to choose to sleep on your back.
    I never consciously choose to sleep on my back, because quite frankly, it makes an extreme difference in the way I dream. It's always been that way, all my life.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I don't think dreaming has anything to do with what type you are.
    Wouldn't Fs make more feeling based decisions in their dreams, and Ts with thinking based decision? Wouldn't that make a big difference in how the dream will turn out? As for the content of dreams, I think personality and type could definitely play a part also.

MBTI
    INXJ

Quote Originally Posted by G.Kai
    I never consciously choose to sleep on my back, because quite frankly, it makes an extreme difference in the way I dream. It's always been that way, all my life.

Perhaps, it's stress levels or tension that causes you to be more comfortable one way or another. I do believe that dreams are as visions and other types of symbolic representations, subjective and controllable. More anxiety can cause more intense or disturbing perceptions.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Wouldn't Fs make more feeling based decisions in their dreams, and Ts with thinking based decision? Wouldn't that make a big difference in how the dream will turn out? As for the content of dreams, I think personality and type could definitely play a part also.
    That makes sense. My husbands dreams are more aggressive whereas my tend to be of a helpful nature. For example one dream I remember having several years ago was Oprah and Gail (her bff) sweeping our front porch. I watched Oprah every day back then and the dream was very comforting to me as if they were helping to clear out some things that were bothering me at the time.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INXJ

Jen, what would you say is the most drastic difference between your personality and your husband's?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by falling2fast View Post
    Helpful! it definitely makes sense put that way.

Does the X mean that you are undecided or just that you prefer both functions? Is it like being ambidextrous, or just preferring one hand over the other for specific tasks, ability verses adaptability? I've seen it related to functional maturity. It seems to me that I am fairly able to control the functions according to the need of the situation. I guess I'm trying to figure out if INXJ is really a type or more of a mix of types. If I can be both INTJ and INFJ, could I also lean toward INFP but not INTP? Is it inclusive or exclusive?
    Some of us use x in place of the proper letter when we don't know what it is yet.
    Type is not intended to be ambidextrous.
    In theory, you would be one very confused human being if you were not differentiated in your preferences.

When you're trying to decipher your type, you need to remember how you were when you were between the ages of 8 and 20.
    That would give you a more accurate view of what your type was to start with.
    You obviously have made some adjustments now, but the basic skeleton never changes.