User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default New guy; some thoughts

I just found this place tonight. I took the test in the book "Please Understand Me" many years ago and found out I was an INTJ. Some thoughts related to this and some questions for you other INTJs...

I'm a computer programmer. Just about everybody I know who is a professional computer programmer is an INTJ.

I had two "best friends" in high school. Both are INTJs.

My wife of 15 years, who I relate to very well, is more of an INTJ than I am.

In discussions with my INTJ friends I have learned that we share some characteristics. Among these are:

We don't like to make mistakes in front of others, to the point where it's almost paralyzing. This extends to a real fear of rejection and inadequacy when dealing with members of the opposite sex -- Rather than risk rejection or embarrassment, it is better to keep the status quo, and I know I got a lot of practice finding reasons/ways to avoid it.

When doing something we like, there's a nagging feeling we should be doing something else -- In particular, something someone else wants done.

Just wondering if any of this sounds familiar to other INTJs.

MBTI
    INTJ

Hello fellow INTJ

As far as the mistakes thing, if I make a mistake I admit it, but I do everything I can to make sure I don't.

Status quo in social situations, yep I won't even talk to somebody in public unless they were introduced by someone I know and like, like being very important as well, or I see something blatantly in common with them. As far as females, I don't do the whole pursue thing in any way.

Doing something for someone else? Not if I don't get something out of it as well, I am extremely selfish and feel that if everyone else was too, it would be to the benefit of everyone, so I love doing things I enjoy and definitely don't feel guilty about it.
    Question everything especially yourself.

Opivy1980

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Hello and welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by ThatINTJGuy View Post
    I'm a computer programmer. Just about everybody I know who is a professional computer programmer is an INTJ.
    Really?

I work on a development team. Our project manager is an INTJ. But the team is comprised of two ENTPs, an ISTP, an ISFP, and an ISTJ. (The techwriters are INTP and INFP.) We are less of an R&D group and more of a "do it on the fly and troubleshoot" group -- although under my manager's leadership, we do all of our dev work when possible up front. In the entire company, I usually see a large variety of types on the teams, although T seems to be the common factor for programmers...

There are a number of other INTJs here on the forums, you should find lots of people to converse with.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

hello and welcome to this little corner of the internet.

hopfully you find other people with different personality types enjoyable to talk to as well.
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

Welcome.

I know stacks of non INTJ programmers. INTJ, INTP, INFJ and ISTJ seem common.
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
    Bertrand Russell

http://rayofsolar.blogspot.com/
    http://zeropointseven.blogspot.com/

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Welcome aboard!
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    INTJ

Welcome fellow INTJ. And no, I'm not a programmer.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatINTJGuy View Post
    Really? I work exclusively with programmers and many of them are are INTPs and ISTJs. I'm pretty sure one of the architects is an E.

We don't like to make mistakes in front of others, to the point where it's almost paralyzing. This extends to a real fear of rejection and inadequacy when dealing with members of the opposite sex
    I can relate to not wanting to make mistakes in front of others but not to the fear of rejection. Maybe it's because I don't really consider what other people might think of me, and if I did, I wouldn't much care.

When doing something we like, there's a nagging feeling we should be doing something else -- In particular, something someone else wants done.
    That doesn't resonate with me. When doing something I like, I tend to become so self-absorbed, all other things fade to the background. Sometimes I regret not being there more often for others, but guilt is not something I often feel.

Welcome. I believe the INTJs may start to outnumber the INTPs on this forum!
    "My good opinion once lost is lost forever." -- Darcy

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
    Welcome. I believe the INTJs may start to outnumber the INTPs on this forum!
    Not likely anytime soon. I've counted.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    INTJ

Thanks for the feedback -- The programmer/INTJ correlation in the group of guys I work with just struck me as quite a strong one so I thought I'd see what the wider opinion was.