User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: So... um...

MBTI
    ENTP

пожалиста. Очень приятно

Good guess then, ah? I was banking on it not being Polish or something, heh!
    Last edited by substitute; 06-22-2007 at 07:04 PM.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INTJ

Excellent guess. You didn't have to use babelfish

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    Excellent guess. You didn't have to use babelfish
    Hell no! It's one of the languages that until recently, I made money out of!

I'll have a go at just about any European language, which sounds more impressive than it really is. Basically I decided early on that since I already knew English and French, and studied Greek and Latin at school (not by choice lol) I just needed a Slavonic language and I'd be able to have a good stab at understanding most European languages, as long as it was just in text translations and I didn't have to speak or compose sentences!

There's a mildly amusing story about my nationality, if anyone's interested...?

[see, I'm checking to see if there's interest before launching into another anecdote - I'm learning! ]
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

MBTI
    INTJ

Yes, please. Interested.

Did you find it difficult learning a slavic language with E/F under your belt? I've been studying Spanish and find it pretty straight forward, what with being fluent in French and also being forced to take Latin in school.

Really.

MBTI
    ENTP

Well, learning the alphabet was the easiest part. I was already familiar with inflection and case systems from Latin, so I had no problem with that in Russian. The real trouble was just the sheer unfamiliarity of everyday vocabulary - the way that none of the words for anything sound even vaguely like anything I could recognise or access, so there wasn't much room for guessing, blagging and y'know, just figuring things out as I go along - I had to sit down and learn vocab lists painstakingly, which isn't my forte.

I tend to think of Spanish as Latin with an Arabic accent, hehe!

/language geek

As regards my nationality, the whole family knows I was born at Falaise in France on March 8th 1977, but the world in general believes I was born near London on March 12th. My parents had been planning before I was born that I'd go to this school in England that they had their eye on, and they were also planning to move to England to live at some point in the future. So foreseeing that I'd probably end up feeling more at home in England (they were wrong there...), and to avoid immigration-related complications for me, they had me smuggled across the Channel as a baby and registered as having been born in England, in which an English friend of theirs (a doctor) was an accomplice, backing them up at the registry office that I'd been born at the house of a relative a few days before! Then I was smuggled back to France and raised before being sent back over the Channel again later, with a British passport but hardly a word of English!!

I find it amusing that with all their apparent efforts at forward planning, they didn't think about the direction that Europe was going in and how none of this would be necessary by the time I reached adulthood. And they also didn't think to have me learn English before I went to this English school!! It was such a half-baked plan, it's untrue! But I'm glad they did it anyway, the adventure and risk appeal to me, and the subversion of nation-state bureacracy gets my funny bone

So I ended up like the Queen - with two birthdays!

MBTI
    INTP

Bienvenue.

MBTI
    INTJ

Great story, Substitute.

Really.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Welcome.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP

Wilkommen!

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

substitute! Very glad you're here.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~