User Tag List

First 123 Last

Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    I can't believe it's friday night and I'm doing laundry -- goes to show you what six years of marriage can tame down your social life..
    Just wait until you see what 12 years does!

I dont just sit by Walden Pond and sniff the pretty daisies (a la David Keirseys portrait of ISFPs in Please Understand Me)
    Stop messing with our stereotypes! :steam: We'll all be confused with our more accurate, but less well-defined, picture of reality.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Hi Sarah!

That's so funny, because I was just this morning wondering if you would ever show up over here. (Patrick is over here too, now!) I had just started a topic in the NT section on math and the thinking attitudes, and it made me think of how either you or Sue call it "mathS". (Keep getting you two mixed up, but now thanks to all the librarian stuff, I'm remembering better. And I think it must have been Sue who says "maths". Obviously a non-USA spelling).

So welcome!
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    isfp

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Yeah... that makes sense. But how are you supposed to perceive a theme as opposed to just contextual behavior? Especially if you haven't exactly been in a variety of life situations? Oh, well. I suspect I'm just not psychologically mature enough to really have established a type yet. I have been rather sheltered..
    I had a lot of difficulty with this beause a lot of what's written about INFPs seemed to fit me too, but it was reading the Berens/Nardi books that helped me understand that type and temperament are really about the way your brain works when it's on auto-pilot -- in other words, what do you have trouble NOT thinking about, instead of what could you think about if you put your mind to it.

Comparing the two type themes from Berens' book on the 16 types: (also on
    ISFP )

ISFP: Theme is composing, using whatever is at hand to get a harmonious, aesthetic result. Talents lie in combining, varying, and improvising, frequently in the arts but also in business and elsewhere. With their senses keenly tuned in they become totally absorbed in the action of the moment, finding just what fits the situation or the composition. Thrive on having the freedom to vary what they do until they get just the right effect. Take action to help others and demonstrate values. Kind and sensitive to the suffering of others.

vs

INFP: Theme is advocacy and integrity. Talents lie in helping people clarify issues, values, and identity. Support anything that allows the unfolding of the person. Encourage growth and development with quiet enthusiasm. Loyal advocates and champions, caring deeply about their causes and a few special people. Interested in contemplating lifes mysteries, virtues, and vices in their search for wholeness. Thrive on healing conflicts, within and between, and taking people to the center of themselves.

It seemed obvious to me that when my brain's just "doing business as usual" instead of trying to be accomodating to others, it fits the ISFP theme. The same is true for the temperament pattern. The latter requires diplomatic intelligence (NF), the former tactical intelligence (SP)

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I see. That sounds like a good reason. I'm glad to have the opportunity to meet SPs on here... so that I can see how they are. I don't get out much, and I generally don't have a strong enough constitution for most of the places SPs like to be.
    hahah! Well, we aren't all scary party animals/daredevils. Some of us are quiet and non-threatening.

Sarah

MBTI
    isfp

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    Hi Sarah!

That's so funny, because I was just this morning wondering if you would ever show up over here. (Patrick is over here too, now!) I had just started a topic in the NT section on math and the thinking attitudes, and it made me think of how either you or Sue call it "mathS". (Keep getting you two mixed up, but now thanks to all the librarian stuff, I'm remembering better. And I think it must have been Sue who says "maths". Obviously a non-USA spelling).

So welcome!
    Hey, Eric! (waves hi)

I hadn't planned to join this list but I occasionally read messages here, and I saw a thread on the SP forum that I couldn't resist replying to. So I joined.

(waves hi to Patrick too)

Ooooo yeah, I did make a rather memorable post or two about librarians on TemperamentTalk, didn't I.. Hah! I forgot about that.

Sarah

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I had a lot of difficulty with this beause a lot of what's written about INFPs seemed to fit me too, but it was reading the Berens/Nardi books that helped me understand that type and temperament are really about the way your brain works when it's on auto-pilot -- in other words, what do you have trouble NOT thinking about, instead of what could you think about if you put your mind to it.

Comparing the two type themes from Berens' book on the 16 types: (also on
    ISFP )

ISFP: Theme is composing, using whatever is at hand to get a harmonious, aesthetic result. Talents lie in combining, varying, and improvising, frequently in the arts but also in business and elsewhere. With their senses keenly tuned in they become totally absorbed in the action of the moment, finding just what fits the situation or the composition. Thrive on having the freedom to vary what they do until they get just the right effect. Take action to help others and demonstrate values. Kind and sensitive to the suffering of others.

vs

INFP: Theme is advocacy and integrity. Talents lie in helping people clarify issues, values, and identity. Support anything that allows the unfolding of the person. Encourage growth and development with quiet enthusiasm. Loyal advocates and champions, caring deeply about their causes and a few special people. Interested in contemplating lifes mysteries, virtues, and vices in their search for wholeness. Thrive on healing conflicts, within and between, and taking people to the center of themselves.

It seemed obvious to me that when my brain's just "doing business as usual" instead of trying to be accomodating to others, it fits the ISFP theme. The same is true for the temperament pattern. The latter requires diplomatic intelligence (NF), the former tactical intelligence (SP)
    Now I really know I'm INFP.

hahah! Well, we aren't all scary party animals/daredevils. Some of us are quiet and non-threatening.
    I had an ISFP girlfriend who was the quiet non-threatening kind - too bad she was an only child daddy's girl...

By the way, welcome to the nuthouse.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    xxxx

Hiya Sarah!

MBTI
    ENTP

Hey There!

MBTI
    isfp

Hi, Gabe, Salty Wench and everybody else who said hi!

Sniffles

Welcome. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Very interesting story of yours. I've thought about being a librarian myself, but then again I'd probably bury myself in books rather than do my job. LOL!

I grew up in a family run by my ISFJ father and INFJ mother, both of whom are very intellectual and who wanted their daughters to grow up to appreciate reading and learning. (Seriously, they both love to sit in on college classes for fun, and they were the sort of parents who expected their kids to join in on their philosophical discussions at the breakfast table!)
    Well you were certainly very lucky then. I often have problems of relating my own philosophical thoughts to my family. They're not stupid, just not the philosophical types.

Dali

Velkoom too ze nathaus!