User Tag List

12 Last

Dali

Default I have finally arrived. You can close this part of the forum now

It's never too late to make a 'formal' introduction.

My name is Mo... and I am a 22yr-old, 6'4", 78kg, size12-shoe wearing, 34-inch waisted, drowsy and currently-starving-due-to-that-bloody-inefficient-deliveryman.... ISFP.

Born of an ENTJ sire (who was hard on me because I was so unlike him) and an ISFJ dam (who was hard on me because she thought I was exactly like her and wanted to mold me as she thought best) and grew up while surrounded by 6 colts; respectively, an ISTP (an enigma whom I aggravated no end), an ENxx (a complete extrovert who aggravated me no end), an INFP (incredibly zen), an INTJ (a rascal who, from the age of 5, thought his older brothers were all fools), an ExFx (an amazing person even at 10) and an evil, unclassifiable 5 yr old that wants to take over the world.

I'm already liking it here.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

and I like you, OperaLover. I'm not too knowledgeable in the standard opera repertoire, but I am a major fan of Massenet's Werther (lame story, great music), Prokofiev's Fiery Angel, and Shostakovich's Lady Macbeth of the Mtsensk District. Are you familiar with any of these (yeah, the last two are kinda out there...)? Also, do you have any suggestions for a fellow music lover? The more intense, the better.

I hope you'll stick around, because you've got a marvelous sense of humor.

MBTI
    istp

Welcome Oprahlover.
    No offense.

MBTI
    INXP

Nice intro, ol. Welcome to't fohroom.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Hey! Another big family victim. I enjoyed reading your introduction so I look forward to reading more posts from you. Welcome!
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
    and I like you, OperaLover.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Hey! Another big family victim. I enjoyed reading your introduction so I look forward to reading more posts from you. Welcome!
    What they said. Liked the intro.
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

Dali

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
    and I like you, OperaLover. I'm not too knowledgeable in the standard opera repertoire, but I am a major fan of Massenet's Werther (lame story, great music), Prokofiev's Fiery Angel, and Shostakovich's Lady Macbeth of the Mtsensk District. Are you familiar with any of these (yeah, the last two are kinda out there...)? Also, do you have any suggestions for a fellow music lover? The more intense, the better.

Wow, you decided to sneak into the opera world through the backdoor, didn't you?

I haven't seen Shostakovich's Lady Macbeth yet but have heard excerpts of Verdi's Macbeth the latter of which is actually based on the Shakespearan tragedy and have also only heard of Werther and Prokofiev's Fiery Angel. I'm curious; did you purposely look for the more obscure works or did a friend recommend them to you?

I used to be a huge fan of Donizetti (in particular, Lucia di Lammermoor & La fille du regiment) and Rossini ( favourites are La Cenerentola & Barber of Seville) but I'm now getting into Wagner (Tristan Und Isolde & The Ring Cycle...etc) & Verdi (La forze del destino, Aida!...etc). I was planning to see Tristan & Isolde (with Waltraud Meier. I don't remember the tenor. No one ever does. lol) in Paris this year but, due to scheduling conflicts, I'll get to see Rigoletto instead.

As for artists, I'd have to say Jessye Norman (what technique and such an expressive voice!), Maria Callas (but of course... but not to everyone's liking), Leontyne Price (I was listening to her sing 'pace, pace mio dio!' in lecture hall a few days ago on my mp3 player and, when she hit the maledizione, every hair on my body stood one end and it felt like one giant 15-second aural orgasm. I was seriously writhing in my seat. Not a pretty picture. ), Samuel Ramey (I'm still surprised at how he manages to combine a low bass voice with a really bright tone), Kathleen Battle (yeah, she was a b***h to everyone she worked with but most people that can distance the stunning artistry from the person also enjoys listening to her), Shirley Verrett, Beniamini Gigli & Miguel Fleta.

Everyone that knows of my obsession never believes this but as we're rather opera-starved here (operved, if you will), I had never seen a live opera till last week and instead, subsisted on recorded performances. Youtube is a goldmine for opera excerpts and the full ones can be gotten from Amazon or... *cough*downloaded online*cough*

What operas to recommend... let me think Puccini operas are accessible and easy to get into (purists accuse them of being fluffy but I think otherwise) and I find them rather enjoyable and a particularly nice one would be Tosca. My favourite recording is the one with Montserrat Caballé in the title role.

Verdi's are intense yet beautiful with tragic heroines. La Forze Del Destino, Aida and La Traviata are three of my favourites from his compositions.

Richard Strauss's Salome has to be one of the most intense and depraved operas out there; be prepared to wash your eyes after reading the end of the synopsis. lol

Wagner's Tristan Und Isolde is the greatest love story that exists. I'd normally tell folks to leave Wagner on the backburner for a bit till they've listened to other stuff but if you can weather Werther and Shostakovish:P, then you can definitely give it a look-see.

Wikipedia the plots and/or get the librettos/scripts from here.

Some great arias on youtube:
    - Liebestod, Shirley Verrett: youtube.com/watch?v=tM0SVA3b0XE (the greatest love song that exists)
    - Ombra Mai Fui, Beniamini Gigli: youtube.com/watch?v=BPKBkjamc_s
    - Agitata Da Due Venti, Cecilia Bartoli: youtube.com/watch?v=J7P-INo21qU
    - Fruhlingistimmenwaltzer,Kathleen Battle: youtube.com/watch?v=TF0XSkb7TyM

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Jeffsters fraternal twin has arrived! Welcome!

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Welcome. Interestingly (to me), I know only one Mo in real life, who I also suspect to be ISFP, and who is also 22, I believe. Good thing he's not 6'4" or I'd be suspicious.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I'm 6'4" but my name's not Mo.

I Approve of this thread title.

Told ya you weren't INFP.