User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by OperaLover View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome, guys!

Wow, you decided to sneak into the opera world through the backdoor, didn't you?

I haven't seen Shostakovich's Lady Macbeth yet but have heard excerpts of Verdi's Macbeth the latter of which is actually based on the Shakespearan tragedy and have also only heard of Werther and Prokofiev's Fiery Angel. I'm curious; did you purposely look for the more obscure works or did a friend recommend them to you?

I used to be a huge fan of Donizetti (in particular, Lucia di Lammermoor & La fille du regiment) and Rossini ( favourites are La Cenerentola & Barber of Seville) but I'm now getting into Wagner (Tristan Und Isolde & The Ring Cycle...etc) & Verdi (La forze del destino, Aida!...etc). I was planning to see Tristan & Isolde (with Waltraud Meier. I don't remember the tenor. No one ever does. lol) in Paris this year but, due to scheduling conflicts, I'll get to see Rigoletto instead.

As for artists, I'd have to say Jessye Norman (what technique and such an expressive voice!), Maria Callas (but of course... but not to everyone's liking), Leontyne Price (I was listening to her sing 'pace, pace mio dio!' in lecture hall a few days ago on my mp3 player and, when she hit the maledizione, every hair on my body stood one end and it felt like one giant 15-second aural orgasm. I was seriously writhing in my seat. Not a pretty picture. ), Samuel Ramey (I'm still surprised at how he manages to combine a low bass voice with a really bright tone), Kathleen Battle (yeah, she was a b***h to everyone she worked with but most people that can distance the stunning artistry from the person also enjoys listening to her), Shirley Verrett, Beniamini Gigli & Miguel Fleta.

Everyone that knows of my obsession never believes this but as we're rather opera-starved here (operved, if you will), I had never seen a live opera till last week and instead, subsisted on recorded performances. Youtube is a goldmine for opera excerpts and the full ones can be gotten from Amazon or... *cough*downloaded online*cough*

What operas to recommend... let me think Puccini operas are accessible and easy to get into (purists accuse them of being fluffy but I think otherwise) and I find them rather enjoyable and a particularly nice one would be Tosca. My favourite recording is the one with Montserrat Caballé in the title role.

Verdi's are intense yet beautiful with tragic heroines. La Forze Del Destino, Aida and La Traviata are three of my favourites from his compositions.

Richard Strauss's Salome has to be one of the most intense and depraved operas out there; be prepared to wash your eyes after reading the end of the synopsis. lol

Wagner's Tristan Und Isolde is the greatest love story that exists. I'd normally tell folks to leave Wagner on the backburner for a bit till they've listened to other stuff but if you can weather Werther and Shostakovish:P, then you can definitely give it a look-see.

Wikipedia the plots and/or get the librettos/scripts from here.

Some great arias on youtube:
    - Liebestod, Shirley Verrett: youtube.com/watch?v=tM0SVA3b0XE (the greatest love song that exists)
    - [I]Ombra Mai Fui[/I], Beniamini Gigli: youtube.com/watch?v=BPKBkjamc_s
    - Agitata Da Due Venti, Cecilia Bartoli: youtube.com/watch?v=J7P-INo21qU
    - Fruhlingistimmenwaltzer,Kathleen Battle: youtube.com/watch?v=TF0XSkb7TyM
    You sure about the I?

Good intro, made me smile. Welcome.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by OperaLover View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome, guys!

Wow, you decided to sneak into the opera world through the backdoor, didn't you?

I haven't seen Shostakovich's Lady Macbeth yet but have heard excerpts of Verdi's Macbeth the latter of which is actually based on the Shakespearan tragedy and have also only heard of Werther and Prokofiev's Fiery Angel. I'm curious; did you purposely look for the more obscure works or did a friend recommend them to you?

blah blah blah... hotness... blah...
    You rock, you rock, you rock!!! That's it, you're going to be my friend. Yes, I will now request your friendship, and should you refuse, I'll understand, as your greatness is that great.

To answer your question, Shostakovich and Prokofiev are my favorite and 2nd fav. composers respectively. I found Shostie's opera just because I like him, and Prokofiev's opera because I loved his 3rd symphony in which he recycled a lot of the tunes to his opera. I fell in love with the Massenet opera after hearing the "Pourquoi me reveillir" aria (? it's the famous 2 minute tenor aria from the 3rd act)... then I heard the "Va! Laisse coller mes larmes" (again... not sure if that's the title) and got addicted...

Richard Strauss makes me hot, so I'm totally listening to that one first. I can't wait to break into the opera world! Thanks bunches!

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Haha, and OperaLover was the one who said in my personal thread that I talk too much to be an ISFP. But then you got him going on opera and....which was exactly my point. We can elaborate with the best of em when you're talking about OUR subjects. Other stuff we keep our mouth shut because we don't know (and often don't care) what you're talking about.

P.S. Yo Opera Man! Rock on! (with violins)
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Dali

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
    You rock, you rock, you rock!!! That's it, you're going to be my friend. Yes, I will now request your friendship, and should you refuse, I'll understand, as your greatness is that great.

To answer your question, Shostakovich and Prokofiev are my favorite and 2nd fav. composers respectively. I found Shostie's opera just because I like him, and Prokofiev's opera because I loved his 3rd symphony in which he recycled a lot of the tunes to his opera. I fell in love with the Massenet opera after hearing the "Pourquoi me reveillir" aria (? it's the famous 2 minute tenor aria from the 3rd act)... then I heard the "Va! Laisse coller mes larmes" (again... not sure if that's the title) and got addicted...

Richard Strauss makes me hot, so I'm totally listening to that one first. I can't wait to break into the opera world! Thanks bunches!
    Oh, you flatter me too much, dear Fire Bird.

You make me want to download... eh... legally buy Werther now. Have you heard his Manon (not to be confused with Puccini's Manon Lescaut)? It rocks.

Also do check out Strauss's Four Last Songs if you haven't already. I especially like them as interpreted by Jessye Norman and Elizabeth Schwarzkopf. As for super-intense, I forgot Strauss's Elektra. That man had a knack for fantastic operas with the CRAZIEST big-voiced female protagonists.

I realised that I know way too little about orchestral music. During operas, I can't wait for the overtures to end so the singing can begin. Blasphemy...lol. My symphonies-inclined pal keeps telling me Mahler is a Messiah but it's a tad too much for me. I'm guessing he may be like Wagner; not for beginners. What do you recommend for a 'beginner'?

Mo

Dali

Thanks again guys for welcome; I do intend to stick around!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Haha, and OperaLover was the one who said in my personal thread that I talk too much to be an ISFP. But then you got him going on opera and....which was exactly my point. We can elaborate with the best of em when you're talking about OUR subjects.
    Haha, sorry for questioning your I-ness when I've been accused of talking too much too sometimes. But I do agree.

The cardinal rule should be; an I shall never question another I's I-ness. We shall just band around in our silence and attack the rare E that attempts to... oh look, a butterfly!

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    You sure about the I?

Good intro, made me smile. Welcome.
    Haha, positive on that. See Jeffster's reply above.

You're 30 now!
    F O R E V E R
    Likes geedoenfj liked this post