First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Hello hello

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    Hello hello
    So there's a number of "double dippers" I see.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    Hey guys, so what are the differences here ( versus INTPC )?
    We're purdier. Welcome kuranes (btw what's your name mean?)
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    We're purdier. Welcome kuranes (btw what's your name mean?)
    Kuranes was a HPL character that leaned more in the direction of imagination versus reality. When I named myself that I was making fun of some of my priorities.

Is that photo of you ? You are purdy. Does Limey hang out here much ?
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

There was a person at INTPC who recently posted words to the effect of "Don't tell us your personal opinions - why would we care ? We don't know you. If you can't tell us something really new, just STFU as the silence is preferable." He was posting in a thread that critiques people without naming them, but I made a note of it anyway. i'm sure that some of my posts would count as falling into that description.
    I can't imagine ever internalizing this philosophy, kuranes.

Why would affinal relationship have anything to do with credibility of opinion?

Don't be afraid to share your vast knowledge base. We'd suffer without your insight.

MBTI
    INFP

He'll be in Sin City 2, I'm told.
    WOOT! That'll be very cool. (Unless it means they've decided to make SC2 a B-movie.)

Seriously I want to see you guys explain how things are different here at MBTIC. Help me "fit in" but use the opportunity to do so as a critique as well.
    Fitting in isn't especially difficult here and you'll definitely not have any problems. Creating a blog or a personal thread is a great idea. People actually do care here, and the personal threads normally move pretty fast and is one of the more important ways people bond here. An alternative to creating a blog or personal thread yourself is contributing in other people's personal threads.

Night gave it a shot. What about the rest of you ? What kinds of things could use a little more edge here?
    Everything in my opinion. I miss the edge INTPc has. But introducing more edge here doesn't really work imo. More drama queens and diplomats and nannies here, so as soon as someone gets a little cut the tiresome diplomacy/bureocracy game starts. Not saying I'm not contributing to it, but I liked the take it or leave it attitude at INTPc better and was able not to contribute to it there. Here I get caught in the game. (Though more often than not I simply unsubscribe to the thread if the game starts.)

What kinds of things at INTPC could use a little less edge ? ( I bring up contrasts/comparisons of the two sites as just a suggestion or default. If you'd rather explain how posts/pushing boundaries are different here via some other mechanism feel free to do so. )
    I didn't really mind the edge at INTPc. The sharp edge was refreshing. What I think INTPc lacks is a bit more... I don't know... maturity and balance. People not caring about the people they interact with and pretending to be robots got a bit boring after a while.

I'm thinking of starting a blog or something here ( probably not K's Lounge, but something ) and it would be interesting to hear what works here vs. elsewhere. Keep in mind my goals - meeting people, making friends, and learning.
    A blog is a great idea as I mentioned. Jennifer and Substitute had extremely interesting blog threads that were great places both for making friends and learning (sub deleted his thread though:sad. These blog threads were very personal and worked a bit like diaries + discussion. There are also lots of "random musings" blogs that work, but I feel they're normally more about socializing and less about learning. In general I think MBTIc is best for meeting people and making friends and INTPc for learning and reading funny one liners, so whatever you do you'll probably not get exactly what you hope for in either forum alone.
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

I think any social community is going to naturally establish identity roles for members.

Carebear makes a great point here. Nannies; whiners; martyrs and the like - each fulfilling templates that probably echo their real-life sentiment.

An element of MBTIc that especially appeals to me is the absence of overt clans and/or lynch mobs.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

What gave you that idea ?
    Not reading your opening post correctly.

Why?

( )
    Seriously I want to see you guys explain how things are different here at MBTIC. Help me "fit in" but use the opportunity to do so as a critique as well. Night gave it a shot. What about the rest of you ? What kinds of things could use a little more edge here ? What kinds of things at INTPC could use a little less edge ? ( I bring up contrasts/comparisons of the two sites as just a suggestion or default. If you'd rather explain how posts/pushing boundaries are different here via some other mechanism feel free to do so. )
    I think your own example gives great insight.
    There was a person at INTPC who recently posted words to the effect of "Don't tell us your personal opinions - why would we care ? We don't know you. If you can't tell us something really new, just STFU as the silence is preferable." He was posting in a thread that critiques people without naming them, but I made a note of it anyway. i'm sure that some of my posts would count as falling into that description.
    See now that's quite an INTPc way of looking at things. Everything has to either be factual (if the comment refers to personal input) or fall from a higher plane of acceptibility and authority (if the comment refers to "scientific" or philisophical matters). Here it's more the style of intuitive authority in both realms. If what you say seems to make sense, to "hang", then it is accepted short term and discussed rather than thrown away because it lacks some stamp.

Also the more "fluff" parts of the forum seem to steer more towards "interesting insight" and less so towards "mindless bilge".

Can you tell which I prefer?

Mind you though the recent move from MBTIc to MBTIfacebook is quite unnerving!!
    My feeling ( or logical deduction ) on all of that is that even universal truths are made up sometimes from the grand totals of anecdotal data. Each individual anecdote may not mean that much to the person only interested in grand statistics, but nevertheless we still do need those individual statistics to get there. When he/she said "why should I care since I don't know you? " I thought, "Well, that's the whole idea of giving you personal info so that you can get to know me. If I refrain for the reason that you mentioned, then you never will. Perhaps when you do so, my opinion, as you inferred, will be more significant." I also consider the idea that everything worthwhile can be only stated or seen as a universal as absurd, even though obviously some things can be seen that way and it is useful to make a distinction etc.
    If nothing is truly objective then the closest we can know truth is by learning many subjective viewpoints and then working towards a point where all of them work equally.

I thought that was just common sense?
    Of course those people opposed to friendship between others ( to say nothing of themselves ) on forums have a different viewpoint. My feeling on that is that it's fine if you want to be a withdrawn sort of forum member, but FFS don't try to tell others how they should behave. If Introversion is supposed to just be a way to use solitary activities as a way to recharge your psychological batteries, then social introverts could just be ( sometimes ) people who enjoy the company of others but feel drained by it eventually, and so they withdraw from time to time to re-charge their batteries, so to speak. The idea of one needing to "apologize" for being interested in occasional attention and interaction strikes me again as absurd. It made me laugh to see threads titled "so and so too small to deserve its own thread". I wondered if there were some ideas that were too small even to be allowed into such a minimalist environment. They would need their own "super small" thread to demonstrate modesty, or whatever. This is why some people create blogs just so they don't have to be laden with such bullshit requirements. There is a meaningful amount of stuff that comes up in such blogs that is extremely apropos as jumping off points for threads that fly on their own wings. But once it is in a blog, a lot of people are afraid of commenting on it, as this may be considered "private". Feel free to comment on my blog, by the way, unless you are a complete troll. I acknowledge that there are posts made that benefit few readers also. Certainly we need to keep "Quality' in mind as well as "Quantity".
    The only problem with blogs, from my point of view at least, is that I won't read them at least until I know you and still after that point I'm not likely to scour through them for interesting asides as it's kind of like listening outside the door of another families discussion... it's just not cricket!
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INXP

Hi Geoff. You and I never got to know one another, but I was always sensed you were an interesting person worth getting to know. You had a good photographic sense, too, as I recall.

* looks around for old buddy Stillwater, too *
    Modesty prevents me from agreeing, as such... but you might want to look up some of my photographic threads in the Arts/Entertainment and Nature/Wildlife/Outdoors subforums.

Constructive criticism always welcome /photo attention whore

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Hi kuranes, nice to see you here. Welcome!
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~