User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

nice to see you here

Hello.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Sup

MBTI
    XNXP

Hey guys, so what are the differences here ( versus INTPC ) as to which kind of threads typically gain the most interest ? I see my "Comedian Wars" thread languishing. I wonder if it would have sunk at INTPC also ? Maybe it's the lack of a poll. People like to make quick posts that don't require a lot of effort unless they've got extra time on their hands, I guess.

I'm also guessing that threads that ask for advice on personal issues would be popular here. Even reticent INTP's like to offer advice on specific problems. On this subject it seems the "shouldn't require much effort" rule seems to take a back seat more often. Although advice about a scientific or tech problem would be preferred at INTPC, they still like other advice problems too, much better than theorizing about trends in the world, I think. You'd think it would be otherwise, since INTP's like to "abstract" things....
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    Hey guys, so what are the differences here ( versus INTPC ) as to which kind of threads typically gain the most interest ? I see my "Comedian Wars" thread languishing. I wonder if it would have sunk at INTPC also ? Maybe it's the lack of a poll. People like to make quick posts that don't require a lot of effort unless they've got extra time on their hands, I guess.

I'm also guessing that threads that ask for advice on personal issues would be popular here. Even reticent INTP's like to offer advice on specific problems. On this subject it seems the "shouldn't require much effort" rule seems to take a back seat more often. Although advice about a scientific or tech problem would be preferred at INTPC, they still like other advice problems too, much better than theorizing about trends in the world, I think. You'd think it would be otherwise, since INTP's like to "abstract" things....
    As you said, the primary difference is likely the focus of many threads.

MBTIc is primarily NF.
    INTPc is primarily NT.

The social ambiance is a far softer hue here. Less outright quibbling than on INTPc.

As a result, there's typically less intellectual honesty as it applies to disagreement than on INTPc, too.

Both sites offer an interesting array of diverse psychological profiles.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Hey K. How's life? Glad to see that you got the whole job quandry sorted. Nice to see you back.

Oh and ignore Night... he's just not paying attention when he gets flamed... NF... peh...

Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post

Oh and ignore Night... he's just not paying attention when he gets flamed... NF... peh...

Why....you....rotten...dirty...sonofa...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    ... I remember you. I lurked a lot.
    I second that. Welcome to MBTIc, mister!

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INFP

Hello, kuranes.

Where's Danny Trejo?
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Hey K. Glad to see that you got the whole job quandry sorted.
    What gave you that idea ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    Where's Danny Trejo?
    He'll be in Sin City 2, I'm told. I rotate my avatars these days, as inspired originally by good old Mgb. He's good for something anyway.

Seriously I want to see you guys explain how things are different here at MBTIC. Help me "fit in" but use the opportunity to do so as a critique as well. Night gave it a shot. What about the rest of you ? What kinds of things could use a little more edge here ? What kinds of things at INTPC could use a little less edge ? ( I bring up contrasts/comparisons of the two sites as just a suggestion or default. If you'd rather explain how posts/pushing boundaries are different here via some other mechanism feel free to do so. )

I'm thinking of starting a blog or something here ( probably not K's Lounge, but something ) and it would be interesting to hear what works here vs. elsewhere. Keep in mind my goals - meeting people, making friends, and learning.

There was a person at INTPC who recently posted words to the effect of "Don't tell us your personal opinions - why would we care ? We don't know you. If you can't tell us something really new, just STFU as the silence is preferable." He was posting in a thread that critiques people without naming them, but I made a note of it anyway. i'm sure that some of my posts would count as falling into that description.

My feeling ( or logical deduction ) on all of that is that even universal truths are made up sometimes from the grand totals of anecdotal data. Each individual anecdote may not mean that much to the person only interested in grand statistics, but nevertheless we still do need those individual statistics to get there. When he/she said "why should I care since I don't know you? " I thought, "Well, that's the whole idea of giving you personal info so that you can get to know me. If I refrain for the reason that you mentioned, then you never will. Perhaps when you do so, my opinion, as you inferred, will be more significant." I also consider the idea that everything worthwhile can be only stated or seen as a universal as absurd, even though obviously some things can be seen that way and it is useful to make a distinction etc.

Of course those people opposed to friendship between others ( to say nothing of themselves ) on forums have a different viewpoint. My feeling on that is that it's fine if you want to be a withdrawn sort of forum member, but FFS don't try to tell others how they should behave. If Introversion is supposed to just be a way to use solitary activities as a way to recharge your psychological batteries, then social introverts could just be ( sometimes ) people who enjoy the company of others but feel drained by it eventually, and so they withdraw from time to time to re-charge their batteries, so to speak. The idea of one needing to "apologize" for being interested in occasional attention and interaction strikes me again as absurd. It made me laugh to see threads titled "so and so too small to deserve its own thread". I wondered if there were some ideas that were too small even to be allowed into such a minimalist environment. They would need their own "super small" thread to demonstrate modesty, or whatever. This is why some people create blogs just so they don't have to be laden with such bullshit requirements. There is a meaningful amount of stuff that comes up in such blogs that is extremely apropos as jumping off points for threads that fly on their own wings. But once it is in a blog, a lot of people are afraid of commenting on it, as this may be considered "private". Feel free to comment on my blog, by the way, unless you are a complete troll. I acknowledge that there are posts made that benefit few readers also. Certainly we need to keep "Quality' in mind as well as "Quantity".
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.