User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Welcome, @laterlazer! Your brain sounds like an interesting place.
    Likes laterlazer liked this post

good, hot, fresh, fly ~ laterlazer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    592 sp

Quote Originally Posted by GarrotTheThief View Post
    If our conscious awareness can be likened to the rays of sun then the shadow is what manifests as we become self-aware, shine that light upon ourselves, and cast a shadow on the ground of our psyche.

It's quite common for people your age to start having nightmares or dreams of shadowy figures. It could be linked to the biological process of maturation or stated in analytic terms the process of individuation. It tends to occur at the age of 18-25 and is accompanied by a dark night of the soul or rather a state of depression in which a person goes inwards and reflects to discover their true normative core as opposed to the one inherited.

Often times though it is not a matter of rejecting passed ideals inherited from the family but reclaiming the ones held sacred and adding to it. It is as if we are given a chance to purge the psychological baggage we all inherit which goes back decades if not centuries.

The shadow, though, to be more precise, are those traits which we don't acknowledge in ourselves which others bare. We may despise these traits or honor them. We have a white shadow and a dark shadow.

I know both from reading, and asking my numerous guy cousins, that around the ages of 19-25 we all have dreams of this figure trying to chase us or help us depending on our relationship with others and ourselves.

I might suggest reading books by Jung on dream analysis but you'll end up reading what you need to when you want to anyways. In the meantime I should say, that if you do follow a reductionist behavioral stand point you might think that dreams are entirely random so it might be lost upon you.

But I disagree. Dreams are where myths have been birthed and myths in turn have altered the course of humanity, and still do, so it's all connected in a web...I think dream analysis has helped me tremendously. I have accomplished so much unlocking the power of my dream symbols.

I suggest it and recommend it as an exercise parallel to your studies.
    Sounds interesting, I'll probably look more into dream analysis at a time I feel more motivated to do so for one reason or another. Considering the bizarre nature of my dreams thus far, I can't say I believe them to be all that significant, but I may be wrong. My mum does often have dreams that 'come true', she would dream about something involving other people and then they would call the next day or something and turns out what she dreamed had happened or was related in some way. In a way that's one of her gifts :p

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    592 sp

Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    Hi laterlazer! I don't think anyone's keeping tabs on where us newbies post first, but I'm happy to find yours.

I'm in a similar situation; my own type is supposed to be very arrogant, but I'm not. I don't really hate people.

...I just think that some of them shouldn't be allowed to procreate.

Whaddya know, I'm a depressed electrical engineering student! Well, not so depressed anymore; going to school again really helped me get over it.

Silly story: When deciding which type of engineering I wanted to go into, I thought "No way am I going into chemical engineering, it's way too microscopic and mathematically quirky!" So I decided to study a different field...but in the end I'm going to graduate in four months with a degree in electrical engineering.

Ah well, plans are like castles made in sand.
    Hey there! Haha, what's your type, my guess would be some sort of NTJ perhaps? Hmm depression and STEM subjects seem to be common from what I see here :p (Important discovery! No one do STEM subjects!) *self-aggrandizes after saying how untrue it is.*

Lol, did you still really enjoy the course though? The only engineering courses I would have considered were Chemical, General and Civil. The rest didn't interest me too much. I didn't do Physics at A Level though (equivalent of your last two years of high school just in case you didn't know) so I thought chemical will go easy on me with the physics. Not too sure that was accomplished...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    592 sp

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    Welcome, @laterlazer! Your brain sounds like an interesting place.
    Thanks, have you taken a course on how to successfully compliment each personality type? And hi!

(Idk why I've answered everyone on separate posts...)

Quote Originally Posted by laterlazer View Post
    Hey there! Haha, what's your type, my guess would be some sort of NTJ perhaps? Hmm depression and STEM subjects seem to be common from what I see here :p (Important discovery! No one do STEM subjects!) *self-aggrandizes after saying how untrue it is.*
    Lol, good guess! Online tests consistently type me as INTJ, and it's mostly accurate. I don't mind talking about it, but my N tells me not to display my type along with my username and avatar.

Anyhow, you say you're not as 'intellectual' as INTPs are supposed to be...do you have hobbies?

Lol, did you still really enjoy the course though? The only engineering courses I would have considered were Chemical, General and Civil. The rest didn't interest me too much. I didn't do Physics at A Level though (equivalent of your last two years of high school just in case you didn't know) so I thought chemical will go easy on me with the physics. Not too sure that was accomplished...
    If I could go back and do everything again, I think I'd go mechanical because I did enjoy physics...except for relativity. That stuff's just a mind-fuck that my professors couldn't even fully explain.* I do enjoy electrical theory too -- water flowing through pipes is a surprisingly good analogy for electricity flowing through wires -- but I do wish there were more to wrap my hands around.

*If position and motion are relative, why would time flow more slowly for Captain Kirk and his crew when the Enterprise speeds away from Earth? Earth is speeding away from them as much as they're speeding away from the Earth, so why does time change for one but not the other? Gah, fuck you Einstein!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    592 sp

Lol, good guess! Online tests consistently type me as INTJ, and it's mostly accurate. I don't mind talking about it, but my N tells me not to display my type along with my username and avatar.

Anyhow, you say you're not as 'intellectual' as INTPs are supposed to be...do you have hobbies?

If I could go back and do everything again, I think I'd go mechanical because I did enjoy physics...except for relativity. That stuff's just a mind-fuck that my professors couldn't even fully explain.* I do enjoy electrical theory too -- water flowing through pipes is a surprisingly good analogy for electricity flowing through wires -- but I do wish there were more to wrap my hands around.

*If position and motion are relative, why would time flow more slowly for Captain Kirk and his crew when the Enterprise speeds away from Earth? Earth is speeding away from them as much as they're speeding away from the Earth, so why does time change for one but not the other? Gah, fuck you Einstein!
    Oooh that relativity thing is an interesting concept to think about. Did they answer the question in class or is it just left more openly? Surely it's because earth's motion is relative to it's earlier position during orbit, whereas the rocket ship's (? - idk anything about star trek, assuming the enterprise is a rocket ship, p.s. had to google if it was star trek or star wars rip) is relative to the position of earth which is obvs moving.
    Ugh but don't start with water flowing through pipes, fluid mechanics and all that, flashback to last year's modules. Wouldn't have imagined the flow of electricity was the same as water though... Electrical sounds like something I couldn't handle tbqh.

As for hobbies, I guess they change a lot, I have so many phases, some stay, some go. They've been: sports: netball, badminton; reading fiction novels, manga + comics, writing fiction + songs, watching tv/films (more recently branching out of western media), reviewing films via blogging, cooking, solo travelling, wasting time on the internet researching pointless shite, boardgames aren't really a hobby but i love them esp. cluedo + chess, ooh and card games (not a fan of actual video games though). When I think of an intellectual I imagine people sort of gathering books to read about certain important topics their interested in or w/e, with me I could research things for hours sure but it could be something really useless, and other times I just don't have the motivation to go too deep into something. Plus my reading habits have dwindled over the years.
    Ohhh, I always wondered why people don't display their types.

Oooh that relativity thing is an interesting concept to think about. Did they answer the question in class or is it just left more openly? Surely it's because earth's motion is relative to it's earlier position during orbit, whereas the rocket ship's (? - idk anything about star trek, assuming the enterprise is a rocket ship, p.s. had to google if it was star trek or star wars rip) is relative to the position of earth which is obvs moving.
    *Gasp* You fail at being nerd!

More seriously, no, my professors straight-up told me they didn't know so I left relativity at "Time dilates at high speeds because reasons." Seems like a good topic for a tech forum thread...

As for hobbies, I guess they change a lot, I have so many phases, some stay, some go. They've been: sports: netball, badminton; reading fiction novels, manga + comics, writing fiction + songs, watching tv/films (more recently branching out of western media), reviewing films via blogging, cooking, solo travelling, wasting time on the internet researching pointless shite, boardgames aren't really a hobby but i love them esp. cluedo + chess, ooh and card games (not a fan of actual video games though). When I think of an intellectual I imagine people sort of gathering books to read about certain important topics their interested in or w/e, with me I could research things for hours sure but it could be something really useless, and other times I just don't have the motivation to go too deep into something. Plus my reading habits have dwindled over the years.
    Ohhh, I always wondered why people don't display their types.
    Whoa, I had to google netball. Looks like playing basketball and hot-potato at the same time. Ever play Cranium? I think it counts as a hobby if you love it.

Despite being a huge fantasy/scifi geek I never read comics, but I do have a love-hate relationship with anime/manga. Any good ones to recommend? The last really amazing one I saw was Psycho Pass.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    592 sp

*Gasp* You fail at being nerd!

More seriously, no, my professors straight-up told me they didn't know so I left relativity at "Time dilates at high speeds because reasons." Seems like a good topic for a tech forum thread...

Whoa, I had to google netball. Looks like playing basketball and hot-potato at the same time. Ever play Cranium? I think it counts as a hobby if you love it.

Despite being a huge fantasy/scifi geek I never read comics, but I do have a love-hate relationship with anime/manga. Any good ones to recommend? The last really amazing one I saw was Psycho Pass.
    Lol I wouldn't consider myself a nerd really :p And I haven't watched all those pretty nerdy things like Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings.

Nope never played Cranium before, never even heard of it but I googled it and it sounds fun I love comics but for the most part cba to waste money on them, although there are a few series I'm keeping up with atm. I started branching out from the typical super-hero stuff only a couple months ago though (but Marvel will forever remain in my heart). In terms of anime/manga I don't think you want to know because I pretty much only watch/read shoujo And my relationship with anime/manga is more I go through a phase where I watch and read it for weeks then all of a sudden I lose interest or just randomly stop, then after a while I get into it again.

Lol I wouldn't consider myself a nerd really :p And I haven't watched all those pretty nerdy things like Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings.
    TBH, I'm not a fan of 'Wars or 'Trek, but I'm nerd enough to know what they are. But ignorance of the Lord of the Rings is of the highest sacrilege!

More seriously, I made a thread for anyone interested in talking about relativity.

And oh, you're right about shoujo; if it doesn't have swords, guns, magic, or stuff blowing up, I'll get bored.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    592 sp

TBH, I'm not a fan of 'Wars or 'Trek, but I'm nerd enough to know what they are. But ignorance of the Lord of the Rings is of the highest sacrilege!

More seriously, I made a thread for anyone interested in talking about relativity.

And oh, you're right about shoujo; if it doesn't have swords, guns, magic, or stuff blowing up, I'll get bored.
    Haha I always say I'll watch Lord of the Rings eventually but haven't got round to it. I think there was a time some years ago when I tried to sit down and watch the first movie, but 15 mins in and nothing had happened so I was like 'Nah not in the mood for this' esp cos it was like 3/4 hours long , but I think I'll try it again. The only movie that long I've managed to sit through and enjoy every single bit of is Gone with the Wind.

Your relativity thread looks interesting at first glance but I don't do physics so not certain I can contribute :p Haha, I did watch K which had magic and fighting in it, and I think I'm going to watch Death Note after exams since there aren't that many episodes and it looks really good.