User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default An introduction of an empathetic INTP

Hi, I'm a Hungarian med student. My type is INTP, I had also taken eneagramm, but I believe it is highly inaccurate due to the restriction of only neighbouring types being able to take part in the personality. Noone that I have talked to found eneagram an even remotely accurate description of their personality, and I have the exact opposite results with MBTI.

For me, the INTP description fits almost perfectly well, the only part that is off is the emotions part. While I have to agree there used to be times when I was a complete emotional analphabet, as an INTP, I made it my personal quest to understand human emotions to excruciating details. I think everyone here knows what happens when an INTP wants to understand something badly, regardless of the complexity of the issue, eventhough this started years before I even found out about mbti. This process of understanding has been a really long way, which started about 8 years ago when I was in 10th grade. I took every possible resource to my advantage. I read books, watched videos, and observed and experimented on my own. It is really tiresome when you are talking to someone and you are conciously trying to pick up small body-language cues, especially since Se is not my strong suite , but it was definitely worth the effort. The materials were of varying disciplines, including psychology, social dynamics, neuropsychology, business books, and even esoterical ones, though I didn't find the last cathegory satisfying, they weren't completely useless, but of very little practical value.

Human emotions are nothing but extremely complex series of biochemical processes in our brain, there is no need to mystify them by adding esoterical elements which rely on made up and completely arbitary conventions, as opposed to scientific explenations based on evidence. They are complex and hard to describe because a huge variety of things can affect them, and depending on certain circumstances, the same event can provoke a very different emotional response. Nonetheless, contrary to popular belief, they could be described, and they can be estimated rationally.

During my "studies", a great spectrum of emotions and patterns have been stored in my memory. It's like a giant chart, with thousands of "cause+circumstances->effect" kind of definitions with some descriptions. In reality these charts are obviously more complex in my mind, I'm just trying to simplify it to an illustratable extent. In any situation when emotions are involved, my subconcious mind immediately looks at this chart to try to understand it, and if it is not found, then I will try to figure it out based on already existing data conciously. Another part of this is also a subconcious process that when I'm saying or doing something, my mind estimates emotional response of the partner or my peers based on the data. As a result, nowadays I very rarely hurt someone unintentionally, on the other hand I have become pretty good at manipulating people. I don't quite use that to my advantage, rather I use it to deter my friends from doing obviously idiotic things when rational approach fails or if I suspect there is no point even trying the rational approach, and to comfort my friends and loved ones when they need support. It has got to the ridiculous point where lots of people, including my INFJ girlfriend, admire my empathy. Well she is still better at it, but an INFJ is unfair competition, Ni+Fe is just brutal, and I wonder when science has emotions all figured out, it would still need a super-computer with hundreds of input-data and an insanely complex method to be even remotely as accurate as a well developed INFJ in emotional situations.

I didn't want to make my introduction much longer, feel free to have comments, I'm open to any kind of discussion.

Peace.
    Last edited by InStinct; 11-22-2014 at 04:48 AM. Reason: grammatical mistake

MBTI
    -NTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Welcome. :)
    Imagine this is the best thing you've ever read.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3/8 so
    Socionics
    ILE

Yeah, whaddup.
    "Inspiring quote by" - Someone

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Welcome, fellow rational! I wish I understood other people's emotions as well as you seem to. Half the time I don't understand my own.

Feelings are so messy and inconvenient.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

you sound so much like my INTP dad. He's a physician. Sure you're not a 5w6 (like him)?

Welcome!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Welcome.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

hello and welcome to our internetly abode
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    714 sx/sp
    Socionics
    infj Ni

Welcome!
    "The true genius shudders at incompleteness, preferring silence to everything that it should be." Edgar Allen Poe

"There's a magic inside,
    Just waiting to burst out.
    There world is a goldmine-
    That will melt tomorrow."M83

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    you sound so much like my INTP dad. He's a physician. Sure you're not a 5w6 (like him)?

Welcome!
    My enneagram was 9w8 but I feel like that description is like a horoscope. Half of it fits and half not. I don't trust the enneagram. I have gone through several personality tests in the past couple of years. Mbti was among the first of them and I still find that the most accurate by far. Though recently I've got myself into socionics. It seems really interesting, somewhat more complicated and broad than mbti. Interestingly, my thought patterns were described more accurately by socionics than mbti, but the description of my general behaviour was less accurate.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome, everyone. Seems like a really nice community!
    I wanted to write something here, but then I came to the conclusion that in the term "periferial nerve" the word "periferial" is redundant, and I forgot it.
    Likes Yaru liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by InStinct View Post
    My enneagram was 9w8 but I feel like that description is like a horoscope. Half of it fits and half not. I don't trust the enneagram. I have gone through several personality tests in the past couple of years. Mbti was among the first of them and I still find that the most accurate by far. Though recently I've got myself into socionics. It seems really interesting, somewhat more complicated and broad than mbti. Interestingly, my thought patterns were described more accurately by socionics than mbti, but the description of my general behaviour was less accurate.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome, everyone. Seems like a really nice community!
    Yes, that's interesting, I had somewhat of a similar experience looking into Socionics. I feel like some of it seems very accurate and of better depth but then other parts seemed really off to me.