User Tag List

Default My name is santoku. Santoku! That's the name of a knife. Why is my name santoku?

I'm santoku. I'm a dad, I love to cook, read, sing, play video games... that's approximately in order of the amount of time I invest in those. I got a bike recently for the first time in over 20 years, but suddenly it's too cold out for me to use it. I may just bundle up and go cycling anyway because I'm not very bright.

I used to do typology. I spent years reading a lot of Jung, Briggs-Myers, Riso and Keirsey, so I gathered a lot of knowledge there. The more I learned about type, the more I found it contradictory, divisive, inconsistent, false... and in the end, useless for what it initially promised to be.

I'm here because there's plenty of other stuff to talk about on this forum and I know enough about type to not feel confused by the people here talking about it.
    Bork bork bork.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Soooo you don't think types are a thing, but joined a forum to talk about types? Well, best of luck to you. and welcome in spite of my confusion about your reasons for being here.
    Likes santoku liked this post

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Hi! I agree there are many inconsistencies and problems if you take the system at face value; my solution was to customize it for personal use. Did you not find that solution worth the effort/intellectually satisfying/reliable, or what?
    Formerly Lion4!5

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Solid knife. Though I don't own one, yet.

What do you think of the kullenschiff edge?

Seems like having those grooves makes the cutting easier and prevents sticking (say cutting an apple or block of cheese).

Welcome to Narnia.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by santoku View Post
    I'm santoku. I'm a dad, I love to cook, read, sing, play video games... that's approximately in order of the amount of time I invest in those. I got a bike recently for the first time in over 20 years, but suddenly it's too cold out for me to use it. I may just bundle up and go cycling anyway because I'm not very bright.

I used to do typology. I spent years reading a lot of Jung, Briggs-Myers, Riso and Keirsey, so I gathered a lot of knowledge there. The more I learned about type, the more I found it contradictory, divisive, inconsistent, false... and in the end, useless for what it initially promised to be.

I'm here because there's plenty of other stuff to talk about on this forum and I know enough about type to not feel confused by the people here talking about it.
    Hello, future self.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

My first thought when I saw your name was, "I love santoku knives. Especially the ones with the little hollowed-out recesses on the sides of the blade."
    Likes johnnyyukon, santoku liked this post

MBTI
    -NTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Welcome.
    Imagine this is the best thing you've ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post
    Hi! I agree there are many inconsistencies and problems if you take the system at face value; my solution was to customize it for personal use. Did you not find that solution worth the effort/intellectually satisfying/reliable, or what?
    I think that my efforts to customize it for personal use made me frustrated, because it felt like I was violating whichever system I was trying to adapt. I enjoyed typology intellectually, and I'd say I still do on some level because as you see, here I am trying to be around it and trying to draw new insight, despite all my whining about its inconsistency.
    Bork bork bork.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    What do you think of the kullenschiff edge?

Seems like having those grooves makes the cutting easier and prevents sticking (say cutting an apple or block of cheese).
    I have a knife that looks similar, but I'm definitely intrigued.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Woaden View Post
    Hello, future self.
    Fell down laughing at this.
    Bork bork bork.

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by santoku View Post
    I think that my efforts to customize it for personal use made me frustrated, because it felt like I was violating whichever system I was trying to adapt. I enjoyed typology intellectually, and I'd say I still do on some level because as you see, here I am trying to be around it and trying to draw new insight, despite all my whining about its inconsistency.
    If you see inconsistency, it's your job to create consistency unless the system is totally unworkable. Fortune 500 companies use the system for a reason; they perceive it to be workable. That doesn't guarantee it isn't a fad, but I think their opinion is worth a lot more than academics. Academics shun anything 'popular' because if the common people can understand it, why do we need ivory tower intellectuals? They are biased inherently towards excessive obscurantism.

Mastering and shaping cognitive function systems isn't easy; it takes perseverance and time to ensure that you are shaping your descriptions of reality with your adjustments to the system, rather than shaping your perceptions of reality to fit an erring system.
    Formerly Lion4!5