User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Hello everyone.

Default Hello everyone.

My name's Hel, like the Norse mythological character. I'm an aspiring actor who goes to performing arts school in Chicago. I have a deep obsession with character (as you might imagine), with the concept of it and with the process of embodying it. I also like tragedy - the fatal flaw, doomed to death and failure, Aristotle's Poetics, Shakespeare kind of thing, if you catch my drift.

I've been vaguely aware of my Myers-Briggs type since I was a young teen and I've taken the test often enough to know that I have always, always been an INFP. I think it fits and I'm impressed with its accuracy so that's why I'm here, I suppose. Also, like I said, I like personality. I like people. And stuff.
    Likes Xann liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

'ello

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Welcome! Aspiring actor, eh? So are we talking like you want to break into movies or theater type stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by hel View Post
    My name's Hel, like the Norse mythological character. I'm an aspiring actor who goes to performing arts school in Chicago. I have a deep obsession with character (as you might imagine), with the concept of it and with the process of embodying it. I also like tragedy - the fatal flaw, doomed to death and failure, Aristotle's Poetics, Shakespeare kind of thing, if you catch my drift.

I've been vaguely aware of my Myers-Briggs type since I was a young teen and I've taken the test often enough to know that I have always, always been an INFP. I think it fits and I'm impressed with its accuracy so that's why I'm here, I suppose. Also, like I said, I like personality. I like people. And stuff.
    Hi.

I feel comfortable with the tragic view of life. And it was the Ancient Greeks who gave us our first and best Dramatic Tragedies.

The Tragedy of Narcissus is played out here everyday. Our very own site of Typology Central is replete with understudies of Narcissus.

And like Narcissus himself, our understudies know not what they do.

And not knowing is the tragedy of Narcissus, just as it is the daily tragedy of Typology Central.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Harmony View Post
    Welcome! Aspiring actor, eh? So are we talking like you want to break into movies or theater type stuff?
    Thank you. :] Theatre because it's more immediate, although to be fair I've never actually done any real screen acting. I did audition for a TV show once though and it was one of the most bizarre acting experiences I've ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    I feel comfortable with the tragic view of life. And it was the Ancient Greeks who gave us our first and best Dramatic Tragedies.

The Tragedy of Narcissus is played out here everyday. Our very own site of Typology Central is replete with understudies of Narcissus.

And like Narcissus himself, our understudies know not what they do.

And not knowing is the tragedy of Narcissus, just as it is the daily tragedy of Typology Central.
    I feel comfortable with it too, although I wonder what kind of person that makes me. To be honest I'm not terribly well versed in Greek Tragedy. I've only read the Poetics and some Sophocles (Antigone is my favorite) but I'm familiar enough with myth to understand your allegory, I think. And I think that sort of fixation comes from having self awareness without the absence of egotism.

I feel comfortable with it [Tragedy] too, although I wonder what kind of person that makes me.
    Well, it certainly makes you UnAmerican, for Tragedy is foreign to the American character. Americans believe in the happy ending, and indeed the American Constitution mandates the pursuit of happiness. Americans believe they are Exceptional, and are excepted from Tragedy. This gives Americans an extraordinary amount of optimism and energy at the expense of depth and reflection.

And just as Tragedy and Comedy are so intimately related, American deafness to Tragedy means they are deaf to Comedy, so Americans have a poorly developed sense of humour. And this is highlighted by the American belief that they have the best sense of humour in the world.

By contrast, on the other side of the world, in another hemisphere, in a freely chosen monarchy, our sense of humour is deprecating.

So the American sense of humour is upbeat, the sense of humour in Oz is downbeat and deprecating, and not just self deprecating.

So just as we live at opposite poles of the Earth, our senses of humour exist at opposite poles too.

Generally I agree with you, although I've begun to find find exceptions to this in certain people. Tragedy centers around guilt and responsibility and therefore has a sort of encompassing vision to it, if you know what I mean?

But what I've noticed about growing up here, more than the obsession with happiness, which I think is a result of the psychiatric industry, is that there are no longer people who are guilty or people who have responsibility. Everything happened without anybody doing anything about it and everyone was just sort of swept along. We are all collectively guilty but it's not our fault, it's our misfortune.

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram

Wow...this post got really in depth really quick. I was gonna say hi, I'm an ENFP who also had an acting spurt for a few years. I mistyped myself as INFP originally so I can relate kinda. Welcome! I too am new here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksilva View Post
    Wow...this post got really in depth really quick. I was gonna say hi, I'm an ENFP who also had an acting spurt for a few years. I mistyped myself as INFP originally so I can relate kinda. Welcome! I too am new here.
    Hello! Welcome to you too then.

I have lots of questions - I hope that's okay. What kind of acting were you doing and why did you stop? Did you like it? Why did you do it? What do you think of acting? I'm also curious about how you realized you're extroverted instead of introverted, if you don't mind?