User Tag List

123 Last

Default New here - and quit my job yesterday

Hello there, new here :-)
    I wonder what I just did. Had a hectic but safe and well-paid job. Then a few weeks ago our company lawyer gave a presentation that really made me wonder what I was doing there with my, say, slightly differing ethical convictions.
    No surprises really, but I had never heard it so bluntly. I guess it was my Fi senex role that just had enough. So I contacted another much smaller company (with actually some sort if soul) with similar work and two days ago I signed the contract. Today I wonder what just happened and what I did. Did I overreact?
    Have any of you made a big decision just because it felt right? How did it turn out? Has your gut feeling or intuition ever led you wrong?

MBTI
    yupp

Welcome. Usually if I go with my gut the situation turns out better than planned in the sense of I probably shouldn't do this. If I ignore which I often do it ends up bad. But sometimes if I ignore it it also ends up good so when I get that sense I'll just figure it's anxiety
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

LadyLazarus

Hello and welcome to the forum. I don't think you overreacted, it was just a little bit impulsive though, but not at all unjustified IMO. I feel like it would have been more painful in the long run to continue doing something that felt wrong, I know it would have made me feel sick and extremely reluctant to do my job. In your position, I would have quit too. I think you did the right thing in looking elsewhere for something more fulfilling and something that hopefully makes you happier. Are you regretting it though? If so, the only thing left to do is go with it and see if this turns out better.

I usually make decisions in such a manner, I can't stand having to sit back while I feel something is wrong or do something I feel wrong about, usually my intuition/gut seems to be right, so I tend to trust it, however I have had times when I've impulsively done stupid things I felt where correct/good ideas at the time only to regret them later. I was very young and my Ni was super underdeveloped, as I grow older this seems to happen less frequently, I make impulsive decisions sometimes, but now I've learned to think about the consequences more.

Anyway, I wish you luck and if you are second guessing yourself; don't, it's done and now you've got to do what makes you feel right and happy.

Thanks! Yes I guess you're right. Anxiety about a decision doesn't necessarily make it wrong. This often happens to me - my Ni puts a veto on my Fe and my Ti puts a veto on my Se. This can be very frustrating and disappointing afterwards and at the same time it has probably saved me more than once. Situations where I've just overridden all alarm clocks inside have on the other hand on many occasions been the most rewarding and ones I have been proud of.
    As an INFP you have Fi in your hero position? I guess that this means that you have a very confident opinion on right and wrong. How does this turn out in reality? I can for example hesitate to step in and try to stop people from fighting but it is a constant tug of war with regard to self-preservation and some kind of Fi-Se combination urging me to do something.

Thanks LadyLazarus for your reply! Im reading it now - just a little slow on replying - all these quality-checks that have to be done - typical of some introverts like myself I guess :-)

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Geonat View Post
    Thanks! Yes I guess you're right. Anxiety about a decision doesn't necessarily make it wrong. This often happens to me - my Ni puts a veto on my Fe and my Ti puts a veto on my Se. This can be very frustrating and disappointing afterwards and at the same time it has probably saved me more than once. Situations where I've just overridden all alarm clocks inside have on the other hand on many occasions been the most rewarding and ones I have been proud of.
    As an INFP you have Fi in your hero position? I guess that this means that you have a very confident opinion on right and wrong. How does this turn out in reality? I can for example hesitate to step in and try to stop people from fighting but it is a constant tug of war with regard to self-preservation and some kind of Fi-Se combination urging me to do something.
    I don't really have a fully confident opinion on right and wrong it's situational for me
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Geonat View Post
    Hello there, new here :-)
    I wonder what I just did. Had a hectic but safe and well-paid job. Then a few weeks ago our company lawyer gave a presentation that really made me wonder what I was doing there with my, say, slightly differing ethical convictions.
    No surprises really, but I had never heard it so bluntly. I guess it was my Fi senex role that just had enough. So I contacted another much smaller company (with actually some sort if soul) with similar work and two days ago I signed the contract. Today I wonder what just happened and what I did. Did I overreact?
    Have any of you made a big decision just because it felt right? How did it turn out? Has your gut feeling or intuition ever led you wrong?
    Welcome to Typec, as we locals call it

I quit a job once over similar "value" reasons. My quitting was sudden in action, although I believe it had been brewing in my subconscious for some time. I went on to find another job relatively quickly, but it paid slightly less, a worse schedule and a fewer benefits. In hindsight I did the "right" thing, however I would have put more time into the looking for comparable work prior to quitting. Now that I think of it, I've quit quite a few jobs over these "value" reasons. *shrug*

Life is like a river in that you never know where it's going to lead you sometimes.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

Thanks again LadyLazarus, this was reassuring reading and brought my spirits up significantly! After thinking it through I don't regret it, I think that my worries circle around the greater responsibility of being a significant fraction of the total personnel at the new place. I do not want to let anybody down or become a burden of any kind, especially since these are also longterm friends from the past that i'll be working with. We complement each other quite well though in terms of mbti-functions. I constantly have to remind myself that i don't have to be able to do everything myself. It will never change though :-)

Stansmith

Good on you. Welcome.

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Good job! You won't regret it.