User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Default Hi everyone! INTP? INFJ? Rambling speech on my ego...

Hi everyone!
    My name is Antonio, and I've been interested in Psychology, especially in MBTI, for two years. I am quite unsure of my type: I've taken different tests, and I've usually resulted as INFJ, less often as INTP, seldom as INTJ. For almost an year, I've been quite sure of being INFJ, basically for these reasons:
    a) I thought I were too "stupid" to be an INTP, since, even if my marks were really good, I thought I didn't have a high "Intelligence Quotient". I thought this also because:
    - I'm mediocre at chess or other strategy games, even if "Age of Empires" ,"Medieval Total War" and so on have been a funny hobby of mine during my teen years;
    - I don't like to debate on religion, philosophy, psychology and so on (although I'm often quite sure to be right) as people sometimes misunderstands me (maybe I'm not good at explaining myself);
    b) Although I had very good marks in Maths,
    - I thought the exercises of the tests were too easy, because the teachers have to "help" the other students; so I've always believed that school was over-estimating me;
    - Maths wasn't my "passion": I mean, it didn't make me "feel" something, except a some sensation of gratification when I solved the problems;
    c) I supposed that my real passions were "feeling stuff" or "intuition stuff" like:
    - LEGO (childhood);
    - Literature and drawing (12-15 years old);
    - Classical piano (16-18);
    - Jazz piano (now);
    - Find my place in the word (always).

However, I've read many other interesting articles about MBTI in the last months, especially about INFJs, and I've noticed that:
    a) I'm not a philanthropist or a giver: I care of people just because I don't want any trouble. I've realized this after I saw a movie in which a guy remained alone on earth with his dog, and I thought "wow, it would be great!" (yeah, I already know it's not a good thing to say or to think);
    b) I'm not religious;
    c) I like to rationalize art: for example, when I study a classical piano piece, I analyze it, trying to find patterns, harmonic changes, chords, modulations and so on.

Therefore, what do you think my personality type is?

In short: do all the INTPs need to be "Einstein-like"?

PS: I'm looking at my post now and it seems to me very "squared". Don't pay too much attention on this aspect: you must consider at first that English is not my mother tongue, so I could have been forced to be schematic and synthetic by my poor knowledge of this language; moreover, that today I could have woken up "feeling" as an INTP.

Thanks and sorry for the rambling speech.

LadyLazarus

Welcome.

Heraclitus from Raphael's "The School of Athens"; nice avatar choice.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Welcome.

We need more INTPs around here. Please don't change your type.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

I could go either way with your type. Sorry, absolutely no help to be found from me.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

Your need to analyze music suggests heavy Ti usage... which still doesn't narrow it down any more. Sorry

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

OP, do you constantly feel a need to analyze and define other objects, concepts and persons, putting each into neatly arranged boxes or grids (i.e. a giant mental spreadsheet or data table)? Furthermore, do you check new information, ideas, things and people against a preexisting experiential database?

How do you experience intuition? Is it a sharp, narrow, focused type of intuition which sees a seemingly unrelated group of twigs or sticks but realizes they are branches which lead to one large tree trunk, or does your intuition start at the trunk and branch out into individual branches or tangents?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Heraclitus from Raphael's "The School of Athens"; nice avatar choice.
    Thank you, tsunderes, and I like your citation from Vergilius, "Audentes fortuna juvat". I know Latin and ancient Greek, I'm studying them at High School.

do you constantly feel a need to analyze and define other objects, concepts and persons, putting each into neatly arranged boxes or grids (i.e. a giant mental spreadsheet or data table)?
    Yes, and this happens especially with new concepts, which must be correlated with my acquired knowledge. Since I discovered MBTI, I have done this with people too.

do you check new information, ideas, things and people against a preexisting experiential database?
    I like to check new information or ideas, but only in the few restricted areas in which I'm very interested in. I don't know if I have understood your question, however I deem I use new information to understand my previous experiences: for instance, after I had failed a piano exhibition, I bought a book about effective piano practice to understand my problems.

How do you experience intuition? Is it a sharp, narrow, focused type of intuition which sees a seemingly unrelated group of twigs or sticks but realizes they are branches which lead to one large tree trunk, or does your intuition start at the trunk and branch out into individual branches or tangents?
    You are right, Lyedecker: I think that finding the nature of my N could solve this problem. I specify that I know that there are both Ne and Ni, but I have never understood which is the difference, so my answer will be as "instinctive" as you probably want.
    I'm quite sure to have the first type of intuition you mentioned, i. e. a kind of intuition which moves from the details to the general rule. Some examples: when I have to translate a text, I immediately find the syntactical structure; in a Math problem, I can connect it to something I did in the past; when we have to analyze a poem, I easily see the figures of speech, the secret meanings the author wanted to give and, if I already know the author, I can see if there are some themes which are typical of him.

Socionics
    ILI

Welcome to the forum.

INTPs are more likely to break open a problem and dissect it to figure out the solution (Ti) while INxJs are more likely to capture the essence of a problem and look at it at its most basic level and/or look at the problem in a different, twisted, angle (Ni).

The INTP is more deductive and analytic (Ji) while the INxJs are more inductive and focused on synthesizing information (expression through Je).

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

INTPs are more likely to break open a problem and dissect it to figure out the solution (Ti) while INxJs are more likely to capture the essence of a problem and look at it at its most basic level and/or look at the problem in a different, twisted, angle (Ni).
    Can you make some examples?

Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio View Post
    Can you make some examples?
    When learning something, perhaps a subject, the INTP usually gathers all of the information and tears it apart and fleshes it out. They would take the information in and immediately begin categorizing it, breaking it apart to see how all of the individual pieces and their relations to other pieces make the entire concept work. INTPs are also more likely to create extremely complex and complicated logical mountains that can be intimidating due to how they always work on fine-tuning ever individual part of them. (Try looking at @RaptorWizard's various theories, and yes, Raptorwizard, I think you are an INTP)

Juxtaposing the INTP, the INxJ is more likely to receive the information and immediately see what the most basic component of the idea is, capturing the entirety of the big picture but not really honing in on specifics (though the INFJ does have a Ni-Ti mechanism, which can make them resemble INTPs). INxJs are more concerned about the general idea than the entire mechanism (unlike Ti-types) and they often take the general idea and will attempt to apply it in the real world somehow (expression through Je, this is also why INTJs are considered to be the strategists of MBTI, they hatch idiosyncratic plans (Ni) and immediately feel the need to put them into action (Te)).

Also, there is this difference:

For a dominant T, the persona carries a mastery of technical knowledge. Our frail limited humanity (including its emotions) thus feels vulnerable, so we ignore it. We thus feel our humane worth would be fulfilled through impersonal mastery.

For a dom. F, the persona carries an air of humane stature. Vulnerability is losing that, and feeling cold and inhuman. When this happens, then they will turn to a cold, technical perspective.

For a dom. S, the persona carries an air of tangible stability. Venturing into the abstract world of concepts represents vulnerability.

For a dom. N, the persona carries an air of knowing the meanings behind things. Vulnerability is being stuck with only what is tangible.

For an I, the persona focuses on the "depth" of the internal world. The external world is seen as shallow and intrusive.

For an E, the persona focuses on the external world. The internal world is seen as likely obscure, esoteric and too complex.

http://www.erictb.info/archetypes.html