User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 13

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8

    Default Perhaps Person With Autism Can Crack This..?

    Hi to all of you, I am new here...
    Actually I'd like to post a very tough "big sizes" number puzzle, which had been brought to many forums, but yet nobody can work it out properly. I'm not a puzzles mania, this just really disturbs my mind. Perhaps autistic person can see beyond and can help me cracking this puzzle...
    This puzzle in .xls file format but I can't attach .xls file here...
    Thank you very much and I try to bring this board: peace greetings from Bali...

    Sincerely yours,
    Steven Wu
    Bali - Indonesia

  2. #2
    Wonderer Samuel De Mazarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wustvn View Post
    Hi to all of you, I am new here...
    Perhaps autistic person can see beyond and can help me cracking this puzzle...
    Okay... autistic people are naturally math genii or something...
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

    Realize us, Madman!

    I razed a slum, Amen.

    ...............................................

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Hi Samuel De Mazarin, nice to meet you...
    I have put the puzzle at Da Vinci Puzzles forum:
    Geniuses, Help Me To Crack This "Big Sizes" Number Puzzle...
    Thx.

  4. #4
    Senior Member MerkW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wustvn View Post
    Hi to all of you, I am new here...
    Actually I'd like to post a very tough "big sizes" number puzzle, which had been brought to many forums, but yet nobody can work it out properly. I'm not a puzzles mania, this just really disturbs my mind. Perhaps autistic person can see beyond and can help me cracking this puzzle...
    This puzzle in .xls file format but I can't attach .xls file here...
    Thank you very much and I try to bring this board: peace greetings from Bali...

    Sincerely yours,
    Steven Wu
    Bali - Indonesia
    Greetings. I, myself, have received an "informal" diagnosis of AS/HFA, since you mention autistics. And if I remember correctly, I believe there are three or four other individuals on this forum who have been diagnosed with an autistic spectrum disorder. I would be very interested to see this puzzle.

    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    Okay... autistic people are naturally math genii or something...
    Not all autists are good at mathematics. But generally, there is a tendency towards excelling in systematic fields (at least amongst high-functioning autists). (Note: "genii" is not the correct pluralization of "genius." A similar situation is that of "virus." I have come across many who have assumed that the "correct" pluralization of "virus" is "viri." This, however, is certainly not correct. "Viri" is, instead, the plural form of "vir," the Latin word for "man.")

    Quote Originally Posted by wustvn View Post
    I have put the puzzle at Da Vinci Puzzles forum:
    Geniuses, Help Me To Crack This "Big Sizes" Number Puzzle...
    Thx.
    I shall be glad to look at it.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

    "Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

    INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

  5. #5
    Wonderer Samuel De Mazarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MerkW View Post
    Note: "genii" is not the correct pluralization of "genius." A similar situation is that of "virus." I have come across many who have assumed that the "correct" pluralization of "virus" is "viri." This, however, is certainly not correct. "Viri" is, instead, the plural form of "vir," the Latin word for "man."
    I'm wrong and you're right... kind of... The pure conventionality of using "geniuses" to pluralize genius qua super-smart person and "genii" for deities is lame, being that they both come from the same root word. You're wrong insofar as "genii" is the correct Latin pluralization of "genius"... it has nothing to do with mixing the "vir" and "virus" declensions. So in fact, I would aver I'm right and convention is wrong.

    genius - Definitions from Dictionary.com

    LATIN DECLENSION
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

    Realize us, Madman!

    I razed a slum, Amen.

    ...............................................

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MerkW View Post
    Not all autists are good at mathematics.
    Hi MerkW, nice to meet you too...
    Yes, I know that. I just remember the SIMON in the movie Mercury Rising...
    (Although autism is not precisely like that).
    If you see the puzzle, the file sept0940.xls or Conversion.xls (in the nearly of my latest post) at that forum are same. You can see any of those, which one you think easier to be cracked...
    Thx.

  7. #7
    Senior Member MerkW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wustvn View Post
    Hi MerkW, nice to meet you too...
    Yes, I know that. I just remember the SIMON in the movie Mercury Rising...
    (Although autism is not precisely like that).
    If you see the puzzle, the file sept0940.xls or Conversion.xls (in the nearly of my latest post) at that forum are same. You can see any of those, which one you think easier to be cracked...
    Thx.
    For some reason, my computer is incapable of opening the file. Is there any other way I could view this puzzle?
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

    "Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

    INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

  8. #8
    Senior Member Angry Ayrab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    600

    Default

    Hi guys, not to be offensive, but I don't think I would trust opening a file from a person who has only three posts. I seriously don't mean to be offensive, but only being cautious.

  9. #9
    Senior Member MerkW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    You're wrong insofar as "genii" is the correct Latin pluralization of "genius"... it has nothing to do with mixing the "vir" and "virus" declensions. So in fact, I would aver I'm right and convention is wrong.
    True, you are. I know that the underlying principle of the virus/viri situation is not the same as that of the genius/genii principle--I was simply bringing up the observation I have made of people, in general, assuming that the correct pluralization of any noun that ends in "us" is "i." I do agree with you, however, that it is much more logical to refer to the plural form of genius as "genii." To hell with convention.


    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Ayrab View Post
    Hi guys, not to be offensive, but I don't think I would trust opening a file from a person who has only three posts. I seriously don't mean to be offensive, but only being cautious.
    You have a point that I did not previously consider. Judging from the replies of people from the forum that "wustvn," however, it does seem that the file is valid (this, nevertheless, the chance of an encoded computer bug or virus). Regardless, my computer is seemingly incapable of opening the file in the first place.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

    "Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

    INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    411

    Default

    if you could open it, you would be able to see pages and pages of stuff that looks like this:
    http://www.intpcentral.com/uploads/sept09a.png

Similar Threads

  1. I have finally arrived. You can close this part of the forum now
    By Dali in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-23-2016, 11:48 PM
  2. Can anyone identify with or relate to this passage?
    By WithoutaFace in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-17-2009, 10:05 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-10-2008, 04:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO