Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    I've got an odd feeling DJ did not intend his statement to be taken seriously, quite tongue in cheek.

What is your nationality, Porsche?
    I think what some people don't seem to understand on-line is that you're talking to real people, and when they say things like that, it can be taken as threats. I didn't even see it as a threat (obviously, he was talking about an incident on another site) and it was a pretty stomach turning reference to rape, a little too detailed with the head-in-microwave bit...really over the top misogynistic violence against women.

Sure, I might laugh at the same thing in a film that was a black comedy, but some people on the Internet don't seem to comprehend that they're talking to REAL PEOPLE. This isn't abstract, this isn't your latest novella, you're talking to other people.

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    I think what some people don't seem to understand on-line is that you're talking to real people, and when they say things like that, it can be taken as threats. I didn't even see it as a threat (obviously, he was talking about an incident on another site) and it was a pretty stomach turning reference to rape, a little too detailed with the head-in-microwave bit...really over the top misogynistic violence against women.

Sure, I might laugh at the same thing in a film that was a black comedy, but some people on the Internet don't seem to comprehend that they're talking to REAL PEOPLE. This isn't abstract, this isn't your latest novella, you're talking to other people.

Yes, you are the third to think what I meant was this. Perhaps I should clarify:

I think he understands why he was banned, I think his comment of being 'hated on' was tongue in cheek.

Though reading back, I'm starting to doubt my initial analysis. At any rate, it was very much a bannable offense.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Oh don't worry they're here, you just don't know where to find them here yet.

I almost think people find what they're looking for, or things change according to how they act, because I've always thought Personality Cafe had larger numbers of polite, emotionally mature members and less trolling, less bashing of Sensing types there, and much better focus during long on-topic threads.

But it may be because of my experience here that I'm able to experience Personality Cafe a different way and vice versa. I just have a hard time believing people actually think there are less trolls here.
    I think I saw some. Every forest has snakes, hasn't it?

Yeah there are large numbers of mature, polite members, but many are "children" emotionally and mentally speaking. PerC and less trolling? False. Less bashing of sensing types = true (now), but way back, then false. Better focus during long-on topic threads = true, and take note, it also attracts trolls and rude members.

How is TypologyCentral different to PersonalityCafe aside from some site features?

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    What is your nationality, Porsche?
    I get a feeling that you sensed and observed I'm not a native English speaker. Yes true.

I'm Filipina (Why Filipina and not Filipino? The -o is masculine, -a is feminine. Using the word "Filipino" sounds sexist to me as it is using "he/his/him" (in English) in addressing any third person singular that is not directed at a particular person. So, that implies I'm a female)

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    Interesting way of putting it. I never considered how I would be setting a bad precedent.
    If someone said that (your rape joke) to me, and that person is not close to me, or if I haven't had enough comfortable conversation with that person, I would take offense and will report him right away.

But if he said that and I'm NOT uncomfortable with him, then probably I would go along with his jokes and I would even try to "joke" back at him. I would probably find his joke funny and shocking. I have a close friend at PerC, and when I mentioned his name on a Hug thread, he replied back with "I'd pinch your boobs". Of course I was shocked, and some PerC members were shocked, but I didn't report because I know that he didn't intend any malicious meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Newbyagain View Post
    I moved here because Billy Bob or Tree Bob or whatever his honky name, and a few other people were disrespectful asses. They were hypocritical, kept trying to tell me what my type was when I didn't ask them and they don't know me from Adam. That is probably my biggest forum pet peeve possible.
    Many members there are disrespectful towards replying to a post especially the younger ones. But there are also some old (age) people who are also not mature enough to post a NOT hostile reply.

And about the typing, yes there are many "witchhunters" (mistype hunters) that disrespectfully state your type when you didn't ask it. It's annoying and rude. I had that experience that's why I use a different username here. Because of my username, they were challenging if I were really that MBTI type:

1st encounter: an ISFP who said I am Ni-Fi looping and too sensitive for an INTJ. And she said that my username sounds like I'm a troll. (In my mind, I thought ISFP is suppose to be a gentle, nice, and passive type? There are actually aggressive ones, lol)
    2nd encounter: an old INTJ man, who attacked my type because of my profile pic, and he said INTJ females are suppose to look like [insert a pic of a sloppy dressed, weird looking old woman with missing teeth]. Wtf! I deleted my pic, maybe I look hot for an INTJ (jk :P)
    3rd encounter: someone who challenged my logic because... again... of my "username". Then he said that I'm not INTJ (How did he know? I wish I knew it myself, lol)

I think @Kayness and some members find my username cool. But I won't say my username in PerC here because I'm paranoid that I would get unnecessary attacks here, and give unnecessary defense. I had a Type Me thread, and I was just confused on the T/F dichotomy, but much to my surprise no one said that I'm a Feeler. @Stephen posted on my thread, and I still thank him for his valuable opinion.

I had already 4k posts before I retired. How many posts do you have there and how long have you been at PerC?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx

"Many members there are disrespectful towards replying to a post especially the younger ones. But there are also some old (age) people who are also not mature enough to post a NOT hostile reply.

And about the typing, yes there are many "witchhunters" (mistype hunters) that disrespectfully state your type when you didn't ask it. It's annoying and rude. I had that experience that's why I use a different username here. Because of my username, they were challenging if I were really that MBTI type:

1st encounter: an ISFP who said I am Ni-Fi looping and too sensitive for an INTJ. And she said that my username sounds like I'm a troll. (In my mind, I thought ISFP is suppose to be a gentle, nice, and passive type? There are actually aggressive ones, lol)
    2nd encounter: an old INTJ man, who attacked my type because of my profile pic, and he said INTJ females are suppose to look like [insert a pic of a sloppy dressed, weird looking old woman with missing teeth]. Wtf! I deleted my pic, maybe I look hot for an INTJ (jk :P)
    3rd encounter: someone who challenged my logic because... again... of my "username". Then he said that I'm not INTJ (How did he know? I wish I knew it myself, lol)

I think @Kayness and some members find my username cool. But I won't say my username in PerC here because I'm paranoid that I would get unnecessary attacks here, and give unnecessary defense. I had a Type Me thread, and I was just confused on the T/F dichotomy, but much to my surprise no one said that I'm a Feeler. @Stephen posted on my thread, and I still thank him for his valuable opinion.

I had already 4k posts before I retired. How many posts do you have there and how long have you been at PerC?[/QUOTE]"

@Porsche , I was there for about two or three years almost. I can't remember how many posts, but alot. If you have that much, you probably know me. I was a trouble maker and got kicked off. Hehe. But to me defense, if there wasn't so much tag teaming and troll games, I wouldn't have gotten so hostile. After a while, I just got so fed up with that place I just started tearing people up who ticked me off. Not an excuse, but that's how it went down.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Newbyagain View Post
    @Porsche , I was there for about two or three years almost. I can't remember how many posts, but alot. If you have that much, you probably know me. I was a trouble maker and got kicked off. Hehe. But to me defense, if there wasn't so much tag teaming and troll games, I wouldn't have gotten so hostile. After a while, I just got so fed up with that place I just started tearing people up who ticked me off. Not an excuse, but that's how it went down.
    I'm a member since October 2011. I probably don't know you. When did you leave PerC? Btw, are you permabanned?

What did you mean by tag teaming? Is it the ganging up of people who disapprove of you? Are some people who dislike you thanking your opponent's posts?

I get irritated by their dirty tactics you mentioned. I haven't received any infractions so far while I was there. I'm too nice, but those kinds of people could really push my button and who knows what I might say?

The Iron Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
    I had already 4k posts before I retired. How many posts do you have there and how long have you been at PerC?
    I was closing on 10k posts when I left. I joined in January 2011 and I think I left in June or July of 2012.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    I was closing on 10k posts when I left. I joined in January 2011 and I think I left in June or July of 2012.
    Stephen left???!!!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx

I'm a member since October 2011. I probably don't know you. When did you leave PerC? Btw, are you permabanned?

What did you mean by tag teaming? Is it the ganging up of people who disapprove of you? Are some people who dislike you thanking your opponent's posts?

I get irritated by their dirty tactics you mentioned. I haven't received any infractions so far while I was there. I'm too nice, but those kinds of people could really push my button and who knows what I might say?
    You probably know me Porsche. And yes, liking opponents posts was something that used to irritate me. I understand I can be a little abrasive or forward, but some people take it harsher than intended or maybe they just look for trouble. Let's play a game. Who am I!? =)

Oh, and yes, I was permanently banned.

Riva

Oh don't worry they're here, you just don't know where to find them here yet.
    Hmm..

There are two sides to this story.

(1) Less trolls because members who behave in certain/disruptive ways (on certain occasions) are put down quickly/people are easily punished.
    (2) More trolls because members who behave in certain/disruptive ways (on certain occasions) are given seconds chances too often/people are given chances.

However both sides have it's advantages and disadvantages to the well-being of the forum.

A special point I like to highlight is that the 1st instance would send a warning to the potential trolls at the same time trolls who got banned would have had a limited amount of time to have learned and adjusted to the forum therefore would have got banned and therefore the forum would miss out on a potentially good contributor.

I almost think people find what they're looking for, or things change according to how they act, because I've always thought Personality Cafe had larger numbers of polite, emotionally mature members and less trolling, less bashing of Sensing types there, and much better focus during long on-topic threads.

But it may be because of my experience here that I'm able to experience Personality Cafe a different way and vice versa. I just have a hard time believing people actually think there are less trolls here.
    Familiarity and bad experiences. I believe those are the two key words here.

PerC is large. Very large. Therefore the familiarity between members would be less. How is that relevant as a reply to your post? Take INTPC. Large it maybe but quite old it is and the members seem to know each other (through the forum) quite well and therefore their tolerances and tendencies towards skirmishes are much higher. And therefore the apparent degree of harshness in surprisingly high for irregular members and viewers. That is a result of familiarity I believe.

Bad experiences with a person, place, culture could leave one feeling unpleasant and few things could calm one down. Even if forgiven, old wounds are easily reopened. That is a result of bad experience I believe.

Anyways, I find this site having more "matured" members. I hope I'm right. Sometimes I just get paranoid.
    Some say paranoia is a just a heightened state of awareness; while others say paranoia is psychological preparation to attack; and even others say paranoia is unreasonable fear; while the Ancient Greeks say paranoia is 'knowing beside', so one might become beside oneself with paranoia; and still others say paranoia is a simple solution to a complex problem.

So whether you are aware, preparing to attack, fearful, beside yourself, or simple - welcome to Typology Central.