User Tag List

First 91011121321 Last

Results 101 to 110 of 227

  1. #101
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    @Porsche Welcome to Typology Central I too used to be a Perc member under the name of Worriedfunction, although I was only there for a few months.

    I asked for my account to be retired because that website crawled under my skin and laid eggs in my peace of mind. In other words I couldn't stand it.
    Hi there! WorriedFunction is a familiar name, but I can't really recall any of your posts. Many members there have the same reason for leaving either by force or by will. My reason is a shallow one, but I don't have any problems with the mods, just some members.

    Thanks for the welcome

  2. #102
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
    There are some parts there that are a total mess. Especially if the topic turns to a heated debate. Lots of fighting, here, there and everywhere. Name callings, personal attacks and such if they disagree with your opinion.
    Absolutely, but I contacted the mods on four separate occasions because users were following my every move and was ignored every single time. Users would quote me and then when I responded they would say "Don't quote me!!1!" I had quotes of them being absolutely idiotic towards me: either name calling, calling my posts ignorant, or one who misquoted me. What was I banned for? Condescension and misquoting. No other person has an infraction.

    Essentially, a member quoted me to say that I was disgusting. His friends then joined the debate thread to alienate me. One quoted me twice in a row and said my views were ignorant and close-minded. He then said my posts were the most disrespectful he had seen. When I told him his quote was immature, he claimed that I was calling him immature and ignored my posts. So what did I do? I took his disrespect quote and turned it into: "This person is the most disrespectful person on PerC." He cried about it to me and I was banned that day. However, the mod also included a quote where I warned about these people and their behavior in daily life. I said that if they worked for me,

    Sorry..now, I'm just venting. However, it is annoying when I made several really worthy posts and others run around with crappy grammar. Crappy grammar is still there, and I'm banned. I told the mod how bad it looks when people see quality posts and then see that the user is banned. In any case, I'm going to copy and paste my good posts there and turn them into articles here when I have the time. TypeC deserves the content as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
    I think the mods play favorites too, especially when giving infraction to someone known there that are their friends. The 2 mods didn't put my threads in the "sticky" section, I was quite disappointed, anyway it's ok.
    What I don't understand: no mod responded to my complaints ever. When I interned at a dotcom, we would have massacred our mods if they did this. Further, to have the error be that egregious is insanity. To have other users do far more flagrant violations but to ban me looks really bad. We had accountability at the dotcom. That is, if people complained about the mods too much, that mod was demoted. If someone complained about a ban, it got sent to the interns like me to check out. The mod would then have to report their actions. I had several mods kicked out because they abused their power. Most dotcoms have these sorts of arrangements.

    Quote Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
    There are lots of threads there that are being closed due to constant fighting of the participants. And later, if you read the whole thread, it would just be some form of a popcorn-worthy entertainment.
    Debate is debate, this isn't kumbaya. I prefer the Twitter model where everyone gets away with pretty much everything. It is a much more fair way to handle situations. This may harm quality a tad, but trolls usually are decimated pretty quickly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Newbyagain View Post
    He can't handle half his own medicine, so he was itching to get rid of me. I think it was him, but if not, I suspect it could have been somebody who is on this site.
    Don't they tell you who does it? They have a forum that lists all their bans.

    I recall DearSigmund telling people in the thread to cool it. Then Treebob hung around the situation but did nothing. Then Promethea laid the ban on me. When I questioned Promethea and pointed out what others had done to me, my account was locked down.

    I know Snail on PerC had the same problems. Apparently she went rogue and some users got her kicked out of moderation though I'm not sure about this. Anyone who starts threads asking "Who are my friends/enemies?" has some serious high school mentality issues.

    Quote Originally Posted by Newbyagain View Post
    Anyway, I'm glad to not be on there, that place was bull shit, as you say below there were too many petty games, moderators taking stuff personal.
    I'm still not sure how this can occur since most sites I know of have different levels of moderators so that the moderation is fair. The only thing I can guess is that they don't have a system in place and their mods run wild.

    I mean, I read a situation on the banned forum where:

    User gets banned
    Thread is started that says "We miss User"
    Someone says "Wow, I really miss User. I wonder why he was banned."

    That user gets an infraction. It is literally that bad over there.

    I'm still pretty upset about it. I know I can be blunt and harsh, but I deserve respect and fairness. I mean, look at the INTJforum, we certainly weren't all hugs when we debated. We took intellectual swipes all the time. I especially deserve fairness when I post well-researched posts that actually back up my arguments quite clearly. I also had a couple of posts aimed at helping others. I certainly have used this sites for advice on how to deal with certain situations with types and hope I can help another do the same. To end up banned (though only for a month) is quite irritating.

    In any case, see you on the threads.
    "Never think one can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." - Someone Brilliant

  3. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    ^I wouldn't worry about it.
    You don't even want to know why I was banned.

  4. #104
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,543
    I think we have a good rule here and that is, no personal insults.

    Sometimes in the heat of argument we are tempted to insult our opponent, but here it is wise to inhibit our first impulse and keep our cool.

    Cool!

  5. #105
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Posts
    67

    Default

    @Newbyagain and @pathos

    I notice that heated arguments and fights start when:

    a. Claiming someone that his/her view is ignorant and not valid
    b. Typing people based on their few words
    c. Closed-mindedness and no understanding about an opinion/view that is different from another person's view/opinion
    d. Exaltation of ego more than acquiring and understanding knowledge
    e. Disrespect on each other's opinion more than acquiring understanding

    You can add more to the list, but there, you get the pattern.

    Online, people just read texts. They can't see the tone of voice, intent, body language. And some strong words can be perceived as attacks especially to the sensitive ones.


    @pathos
    Are you Boolean11 from PerC or maybe Rainman?

  6. #106
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
    @Newbyagain and @pathos

    I notice that heated arguments and fights start when:

    a. Claiming someone that his/her view is ignorant and not valid
    b. Typing people based on their few words
    c. Closed-mindedness and no understanding about an opinion/view that is different from another person's view/opinion
    d. Exaltation of ego more than acquiring and understanding knowledge
    e. Disrespect on each other's opinion more than acquiring understanding

    You can add more to the list, but there, you get the pattern.

    Online, people just read texts. They can't see the tone of voice, intent, body language. And some strong words can be perceived as attacks especially to the sensitive ones.


    @pathos
    Are you Boolean11 from PerC or maybe Rainman?
    I agree with you there. I can't stand somebody trying to type me when I didn't ask. I was holding back, because I didn't want anyone to know who I was on here, but I'll go ahead and share the situation and take the risk. People there used to try to force down my throat that I was a Six. I kept thinking, gosh Six just doesn't match me and I kept saying that and people had the nerve to continue arguing with me pushing it down my throat, and I even started to get panicky thinking it was true, not because I have hard feelings about Sixes, but because I didn't identify with it. I was dealing with an abandonment issue at the moment, and that is why people were seeing Six in me. That would bring out the anxious Six characteristics in any type. I guess what I am saying is when somebody is going through a hard time, saying stuff like that can be the straw that breaks the camels back, and it's not their place, and it really pissed me off. Them and whoever the hell the moderator was who told me that in message about banning me, probably shit-tree or whatever his name was, was extremely in the wrong and unprofessional for it.

  7. #107
    The Iron Giant
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
    Is your decision to left PerC an irrevocable one?
    I'd be willing to go back.

    And I regret that I didn't have enough time to know you too.
    I'm right here, and as of now, I'm staying.

    I thought mods are being paid?
    As far as I know, the only one receiving money from the site was Happy, the former owner, and the only ones receiving money now are the new owners, crowdgather.

    Wait... Can you clarify on that one? They told you stop 'moderating'? I thought you're the one who resigned.
    They didn't seem to have a problem with my moderating, in fact I was told I was doing a great job. I was told by Happy that the funny bans and infractions were too personal, and I couldn't do them anymore. They had to be impersonal.

  8. #108
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
    @Newbyagain and @pathos

    I notice that heated arguments and fights start when:

    a. Claiming someone that his/her view is ignorant and not valid
    b. Typing people based on their few words
    c. Closed-mindedness and no understanding about an opinion/view that is different from another person's view/opinion
    d. Exaltation of ego more than acquiring and understanding knowledge
    e. Disrespect on each other's opinion more than acquiring understanding

    You can add more to the list, but there, you get the pattern.
    Great analysis.

    I would make one distinction. People got mad in the debate forums when others disagreed. By definition, it is a debate forum and people will disagree. I personally prefer debate forums where users attack and dismantle each other's arguments constantly. It is much more intellectually stimulating. Others prefer the sharing and understanding of different views. This caused a lot of problems. It is a difference of opinion on what either should be.

    However, the same steps you listed happened in the other forums, mainly in the MBTI theory related forums. With forums, you have multiple types with various ages, cultures, and backgrounds. You throw them in a room together and feelings are bound to get hurt as disagreements arise. Further, some are acting within their stereotypical descriptions (perhaps to avoid typism), so things further break down. Personality forums make things much more personal because people feel the essence of their being is being attacked.

    Typism was a major problem: what we see on the internet is a limited view of the other person. Yes, you may meet someone who is the antithesis of what they say they are, but it's likely best not to say anything. I bit my tongue a lot, especially with all the shadow types running around on the forum. I still don't entirely know if I agree with the banning of typism, however. I just really am not impressed with the mods at PerC and I don't think the rules should be vague for the mods that they have. I interned at a site for quite some time and it meant I moderated on occasion. We had great mods when I worked there who implemented rules fairly. With vague rules and questionable modding, you get bans that just shouldn't occur. Vague rules and good modding is a different story.

    Quote Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
    Online, people just read texts. They can't see the tone of voice, intent, body language. And some strong words can be perceived as attacks especially to the sensitive ones.
    Yes. It's funny to watch how type specific it is. Many times the behavior is so predictable if it from one type to another. I don't mean this in a negative way, just that many conflicts can be explained by type difference. Or is that just me?

    Quote Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
    @pathos
    Are you Boolean11 from PerC or maybe Rainman?
    No, I am pathos there as well. I wasn't there for a long time...I've lurked both of these forums for about two years or so, but only joined this year. I stayed in the debate and INFJ forums, so it's unlikely we ran into each.

    Nor do I think I ever saw Boolean11. Rainman sounds familiar, but I'm not sure. Were these the problem users for you?
    "Never think one can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." - Someone Brilliant

  9. #109
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Newbyagain View Post
    I agree with you there. I can't stand somebody trying to type me when I didn't ask. I was holding back, because I didn't want anyone to know who I was on here, but I'll go ahead and share the situation and take the risk. People there used to try to force down my throat that I was a Six. I kept thinking, gosh Six just doesn't match me and I kept saying that and people had the nerve to continue arguing with me pushing it down my throat, and I even started to get panicky thinking it was true, not because I have hard feelings about Sixes, but because I didn't identify with it. I was dealing with an abandonment issue at the moment, and that is why people were seeing Six in me. That would bring out the anxious Six characteristics in any type. I guess what I am saying is when somebody is going through a hard time, saying stuff like that can be the straw that breaks the camels back, and it's not their place, and it really pissed me off. Them and whoever the hell the moderator was who told me that in message about banning me, probably shit-tree or whatever his name was, was extremely in the wrong and unprofessional for it.
    Lol. What do they know, right? Why do they keep on pushing their opinion about your type? Sounds like they're being conceited and all-knowy. A friend of mine told me that recently 2 threads are being closed in the enneagram types 8 and 6. I think there are harassment in the enneagram section, I made a thread one time and I find that I've been ganged up by some "group" (regular members who always interact with each other). May I know who are these people you had an argument with? The people who are active in the enneagram section are Boss, Swordsman of Mana, chimeric, Chipps, etc. There are some others that I don't know who are also active.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    I'd be willing to go back.
    Yay!

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    They didn't seem to have a problem with my moderating, in fact I was told I was doing a great job. I was told by Happy that the funny bans and infractions were too personal, and I couldn't do them anymore. They had to be impersonal.
    Your ban quotes are really impressive, creative and funny, hehe No other mods could right such a funny rhyming comments.

    EDIT: I spelled 'right' instead of write.

    Quote Originally Posted by pathos View Post
    Great analysis.

    I would make one distinction. People got mad in the debate forums when others disagreed. By definition, it is a debate forum and people will disagree. I personally prefer debate forums where users attack and dismantle each other's arguments constantly. It is much more intellectually stimulating. Others prefer the sharing and understanding of different views. This caused a lot of problems. It is a difference of opinion on what either should be.

    However, the same steps you listed happened in the other forums, mainly in the MBTI theory related forums. With forums, you have multiple types with various ages, cultures, and backgrounds. You throw them in a room together and feelings are bound to get hurt as disagreements arise. Further, some are acting within their stereotypical descriptions (perhaps to avoid typism), so things further break down. Personality forums make things much more personal because people feel the essence of their being is being attacked.

    Typism was a major problem: what we see on the internet is a limited view of the other person. Yes, you may meet someone who is the antithesis of what they say they are, but it's likely best not to say anything. I bit my tongue a lot, especially with all the shadow types running around on the forum. I still don't entirely know if I agree with the banning of typism, however. I just really am not impressed with the mods at PerC and I don't think the rules should be vague for the mods that they have. I interned at a site for quite some time and it meant I moderated on occasion. We had great mods when I worked there who implemented rules fairly. With vague rules and questionable modding, you get bans that just shouldn't occur. Vague rules and good modding is a different story.



    Yes. It's funny to watch how type specific it is. Many times the behavior is so predictable if it from one type to another. I don't mean this in a negative way, just that many conflicts can be explained by type difference. Or is that just me?



    No, I am pathos there as well. I wasn't there for a long time...I've lurked both of these forums for about two years or so, but only joined this year. I stayed in the debate and INFJ forums, so it's unlikely we ran into each.

    Nor do I think I ever saw Boolean11. Rainman sounds familiar, but I'm not sure. Were these the problem users for you?
    Thanks.

    In the debate forum, more often than not, there is a thin line between a good, sound debate, that is actually mind-stimulating, and harsh attacks from ideas to the person. This line is crossed almost always.

    I think it's just right to have typism in the rules because typism is also another form of discrimination towards a person by stereotyping him/her and his/her type as a whole. But for the bannings, I don't know if have read anyone that is banned just by typism. I think the sanction mostly given out of typism is only infraction and warning. But typism is lighter than personal insults, attacks, and name callings, I think.

    Yeah I notice that too. People of one type have different perceptions from another type, and this causes misunderstanding and conflicts plus, a different interpretations of a comment, post, remarks. Maybe it has to do with information gathering, understanding, interpreting, and communicating, that are not in sync to a different type.

    Rainman yes. He was hated there not just me but by other members as well. I think he is permabanned. I saw some Rainman in here who joined at an older date, but he's also banned, I wonder if he's permabanned too. And I also wonder if the two usernames are the same person. Boolean11 is okay for me, I think he appreciates my insight, but some members cannot stand him and he's always been given a warning from the mods.

  10. #110
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
    In the debate forum, more often than not, there is a thin line between a good, sound debate, that is actually mind-stimulating, and harsh attacks from ideas to the person. This line is crossed almost always.
    Yes, however the rules are not enforced equally, hence my problem with the moderators. Either have the forum be less moderated or have solid moderators who can handle situations equally instead of siding with friends.

    Quote Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
    I think it's just right to have typism in the rules because typism is also another form of discrimination towards a person by stereotyping him/her and his/her type as a whole. But for the bannings, I don't know if have read anyone that is banned just by typism. I think the sanction mostly given out of typism is only infraction and warning. But typism is lighter than personal insults, attacks, and name callings, I think.
    Really? I've seen infractions lead to a month long ban because somebody told another person "I expect that from you, because you are an S." Perhaps it was said in a demeaning way but I recall it being relevant (it isn't relevant in the demeaning way, but the person certainly was using dominant functions to their interpretation).

    I understand the point of the typism, because of stereotypes, as you said. I'm just not sure on the proper place to draw the line, if that makes sense. I suppose people should hedge their comments and explain that the traits observed may be more applicable to the individual rather the type itself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
    Yeah I notice that too. People of one type have different perceptions from another type, and this causes misunderstanding and conflicts plus, a different interpretations of a comment, post, remarks. Maybe it has to do with information gathering, understanding, interpreting, and communicating, that are not in sync to a different type.
    Yes, it is quite textbook at times. Room full of people, most of whom understand the MBTI, yet obvious type conflicts occur...

    Quote Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
    Rainman yes. He was hated there not just me but by other members as well. I think he is permabanned. I saw some Rainman in here who joined at an older date, but he's also banned, I wonder if he's permabanned too. And I also wonder if the two usernames are the same person. Boolean11 is okay for me, I think he appreciates my insight, but some members cannot stand him and he's always been given a warning from the mods.
    If this is the same Rainman who was often in philosophical talk on PerC, he was blunt and sometimes misguided with his thoughts/posts but I don't recall anything egregious. Perhaps I'll have to look through some of his other posts. I know I saw a few people egg him on and say idiotic things to him hence why I was more irritated by them than him. Perhaps this is a different user, though.

    What are your thoughts on Btmangan? I saw people refer to him a lot, but never bumped into him.
    "Never think one can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." - Someone Brilliant

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 38
    Last Post: 07-08-2014, 12:44 AM
  2. Dwigie says ":hi"
    By Dwigie in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-26-2008, 11:00 PM
  3. Just saying hi...
    By Cimarron in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-22-2008, 09:04 PM
  4. Another INFJ Saying Hi
    By violaine in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-13-2008, 01:28 PM
  5. Just an ESFP that wants to say hi!
    By kimbees54 in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-17-2008, 11:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO