User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I generally agree with what is being said about mood.

Being receptive to the environment (rather than one who actively tries to imprint on the environment) makes INPs vulnerable, even the INTPs (although I think it's easier for us to wall ourselves off... but that's not really a positive, that's a defense mechanism).

I'm also not one to want to change my moods. My natural instinct (although I have shifted some after having many life experiences) is to view that as inauthentic -- a lie. Maybe that's due to Si tert, at least with the traditional type discussions, it tends to root one's mood within a sensory experience (recalled or current) and aims to create a consistent timeline of mood. Who knows? I just know for me, when I'm sad, pretending I'm not (or having others try to "cheer me up") annoys the crap out of me. It just is what it is. The quicker I embrace it, the more I can move through it and out the other side. I'd rather go to an environment that aligns with my mood.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Yes, quite. And incongruity between environment and mood affects mood negatively, I find.
    I think genuine Fe-users may have a different experience. I know several whose mood is almost entirely dictated by external circumstances - put them in a room full of cheery people and upbeat music and they're cheery and upbeat. Put them in a corner with moping, depressed or even just über-analytical people and they're bummed out. They seem to soak up their environments like a sponge, whereas Fi-users bleed out into their environments and change the prevailing ambience.
    According to this profile then, that would make INTPs more like Fi-users.
    In my observations an angry or anguished FJ is exactly the same way, just seems to poison the whole room. Emotions go... out... Whereas my little INFP friend, when she is heartbroken, she carries it all around inside, feeling so intensely, and most people wouldn't even know. But other FPs are just as you describe (particularly online, strangely)

I suspect that the two extreme ways of dealing with strong emotion (repress and uncontrolled expression) may not have to do with type necessarily.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Interested to hear whether Fi-users agree with this :

I don't do that, I do the INTP thing, change my environment to fit my interior state, but I don't think this is a manifestation of Fe.
    Thoughts?
    I don't do that at all. I pretty much match my music to my mood. It's like being hungry for a specific food, eating anything else is unsatisfying. But, environment does highly affect me.

To the OP:

Welcome! Remember, Fe is *not* the source of your emotions. Everyone has them, F'ers (heh) somtimes handle them better because they are a higher priority for them. I hope this forum helps you out.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

First, Welcome!

To address Salome's quote:
    The mystery of emotion is also evidence in the INTP's use of music. He always chooses to listen to music which suits his current emotional state, be it aggression, warmth, excitement, relaxation or whatever. Hence, the emotional state is assumed to be an unchangeable, mysterious property of himself. It is easier to choose appropriate music than to attempt to influence this. People with introverted Feeling, Fi, however, will deliberately choose to listen to music which helps them change and improve their mood. INTPs could never do that. They feel an unpleasant sense of disharmony whenever a music style clashes with their emotional state. Indeed, it is remarkable how much attention they pay to their emotions when music is involved.
    It depends on whether I want to change how I feel in the moment. If I want to keep feeling as I am feeling, I will find something to match. If I need to energize myself when I feel droopy, or relax when I feel stressed and hyper, I will choose something to match my desired state.

Quote Originally Posted by Coz View Post
    P.s. by the way, I refuse to "stop analyzing and start feeling". I've gone down that path before, and even somewhat going down it now (stumbling into a relationship, but the other party is a Fi user, and I can't read them) and it hasn't gotten me anywhere. I will stick to the fact that emotions are unreliable, irrational, and illogical.
    I agree. They are still data, though, and as Salome points out, must be considered like all other data that impact you and your decisions. That doesn't mean you must give in to them, or be ruled by them. You can dismiss them entirely, once they have been suitably analyzed. Like that pain in the thumb, they are often an indication that something needs to be fixed.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

If I had a choice, I would dump Fe for all that it is worth. It often chooses to surface and wreck raw havoc, often causing my Ti to either back off, or fight it. I also hate the fact that life depresses me; this seems to be a Ti attribute. To me, Fe is the enemy. I also fear one day that I may go down the wrong intellectual path, or analyze to a point, that I may cause my own self-destruction (I've had this fear for years).
    My Fe feels for you about this and can relate. Also loathing that piece of oneself can just become a process in reinforcing discontent. Ti rumination is tough when gone awry, I've seen it. Welcome to the forum, Coz.

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOfTroy View Post
    (Cuz! it's Coz.)
    Posting 'cause my Cuz welcomed Coz and 'cause it seemed like a good cause.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOfTroy View Post
    Welcome Coz, i believe you may enjoy the philosophy subforum as well as the others.

(Cuz! it's Coz.)
    I will have to check it out. I quite enjoy philosophy. Thanks for the welcome.

Hey Coz! I like your sweaters and Pudding Pops.

You do sound more like an INTP to me.. but be forewarned, I'm an INFP and I type using my guts.

Welcome to the forum!
    I am surprised I had once considered myself INTJ when INTP was screaming at me. I appreciate my sweaters and pudding pops to; without them I would fail to exist in this dimension. I appreciate the welcome.

I'd also like to add that INTPs, in my experience, can be very in-tune with the emotions of others, especially disharmony like you say. There is no law that says Ts have to be unemotional robots and Fs have to be irrational nutjobs.
    But INTPs don't have emotions! Ask any INTP. What you really think are emotions are actually echoes; call them shadows of emotional mana.

Thoughts cannot be depressing without an emotional component.

Emotions are just data. Your reaction to that data is what is irrational.

It's like hitting your thumb with a hammer and saying "fuckit, why does that hurt? It's irrational! I'm going to take an analgesic so I can carry on beating the crap out of myself without it hurting. Because that's the rational thing to do."
    I think that is really simplifying emotions; that construct isn't entirely accurate. It does echo some truth though, as indeed emotions are data, but it isn't always background data. I consider emotions to be along the lines of a self-replicating pop-up virus; it can stay hidden, but can wreck havoc on your operating system until you pin it down. It will come back though, because it always maintains a presence. Even that example isn't an accurate description.

First, Welcome!
    Thanks!

My Fe feels for you about this and can relate. Also loathing that piece of oneself can just become a process in reinforcing discontent. Ti rumination is tough when gone awry, I've seen it. Welcome to the forum, Coz.
    Thanks. I can't help but loath it. I do realize the value of attempting to develop it, but that really chills my spine. I've been slowly, but surely, trying to establish a relationship, but Fe doesn't seem to provide comfort. I have always been reluctant, and quite nervous, about falling back on it. It seems to me that relationships require that you use your Feeling side. Is it any wonder than that a lot of INTPs don't date?
    Often wonder if I should go back to that status quo...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I am surprised I had once considered myself INTJ
    I'm not. In fact, I'd consider putting money on it.
    I think that is really simplifying emotions; that construct isn't entirely accurate. It does echo some truth though, as indeed emotions are data, but it isn't always background data. I consider emotions to be along the lines of a self-replicating pop-up virus; it can stay hidden, but can wreck havoc on your operating system until you pin it down. It will come back though, because it always maintains a presence. Even that example isn't an accurate description.
    "Wreak havoc". "Wrecking" havoc in an OS is a desirable hack. No?

Interesting that it's almost always Havoc that does the wreaking. I wonder why other things don't wreak more...? It's almost like they're repressed or something...

How old are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.