User Tag List

MBTI
    ENTP

Default Borderline ENTP/ENFP...

Dear all,

I've only just found out about personality typing and all this, so with the typical enthusiasm of a neophyte I've decided to join this forum and learn all about it. So, hello.

But I need to clear something up... and perhaps this approach, in medias res, as it were, will allow you and me to, uhm, know me better...

I've been taking a fair amount of tests, so many, indeed, that I am sick and tired of them and never want to see one of those little circular option buttons again. Almost every time I come up with ENTP, ENTP, ENTP, ENTP, and yet, when I read breakdowns of the results, I often see readouts like this:

Extroverted (E) 84.38% Introverted (I) 15.63%
    Intuitive (N) 74.29% Sensing (S) 25.71%
    Thinking (T) 51.43% Feeling (F) 48.57%
    Perceiving (P) 67.5% Judging (J) 32.5%

As is plain to see, I am most easily slotted into the EI*P category, and I pretty much figured as much even before taking the test. However, the thinking/feeling categories are really quite confusing for me, insofar as I don't know which one is really 'me'.

So, as an aid to those inveighing on my particular case, I'll give a short (I promise!) description of myself:

I read voraciously, springing from topic to topic, getting fascinated with one philosopher or thinker and then finding that he's old hat and figuring out that everything in the world is really about this. But then I get wise to my own caprice and realize that what I'm really looking for is a methodology, a school, a single all-encompassing thought-algorithm... but there is none. I'm highly self-critical and self-aware.

I'm very dispassionate when I evaluate other people, meaning that I can usually ascertain 'how'/'what' they're feeling but I find myself getting quickly bored by their troubles. And yet, I can put up such a good show of empathy, that I almost feel that I'm genuinely empathizing. As such, I was always a bit of a show-stopper in high-school, not always in a good way.

Big thing: I'm a chronic drinker and drugger. I am quite fond of getting blitzed, particularly with synthetic drugs, and then running out into the world in a strange haze of dissociative ecstasy, engaging with everyone and everything. I have been called a snake-tongued Buddha figure with a massive God-complex (rather contradictory since the Buddha was mute on the God question, if not dismissive of it entirely). The problem with my drug use and attempts to understand who I am was brought up by my psychiatrist, who asserted that any diagnosis of bipolar disorder would be premature if I couldn't remain sober for more than six months. I feel this might be a problem when it comes to typing me ENTP or ENFP. But since I've been sober for several weeks, I find that I am comfortable alone, for all of two weeks, then crave company. I appreciate and strive for good deductive thinking, but am not quite as inductive in my cogitations as I'd like to be. Generally, I find that the EN*P stays the same whether or not I'm sober, but that I'm more F when I'm high and more T when I'm sober. I guess that's why I've listed myself as ENTP, but still...

I'm desperate to be a writer... I love big ideas and yet can get quite caught up in the details of a particularly refined argument, whether it be in the sciences or the liberal arts. But when it comes to hammering out the details of my own pet projects, I get easily frustrated. I often wish that I could be the kind of person who got swept up in his own fancy, blacked out, and woke up with my plans realized. It doesn't happen, obviously, and I guess my teenage delusions about being a genius were dashed, since 'genius is in the details', or so 'they' say.

I still think I lean towards ENTP'ness more than ENFP'ness, but that's a strained inclination... while I am very emotional and often histrionic, I have no patience whatsoever with ill-formed arguments and am very quick to pounce on people who don't connect their premises with their conclusions, or make fallacies, or assume axioms which to me are untenable.

More so than a lot of ENTP's I'm sure, I'm very attracted to temples and spiritual writers, and yet I feel like an interloper when I'm sitting in a church, an atheist praying to God. I'm sort of a solipsist, thinking I can think and feel my way to a personal God that's so empty as to accommodate the whole cosmos without possessing any intelligence or personality.

And I tend to ramble. But I've always been good at math, argument, etc. I was a pretty good musician (classical violin), but felt too hemmed in by the six-hour practice sessions which began dominating my life.

Oh.... I know... I completely violated, ripped apart, spat on the memory of that promise to be succinct... but I'll finish this off with one last reminiscence...

I went absolutely CRAZY, embittered, confused, when I went out with an ISTJ (TOTAL ISTJ, absolute ISTJ) in high school. I found myself lecturing her, telling her she was too introverted, unable to communicate effectively. I questioned her commitment and yet found myself bending over backwards to make her happy. My relationship with her (long since dead... the relationship, that is) often leaves me believing I'm an ENFP.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Okay... Jesus, that was too much. I'm sorry... I guess I'm expected to apologize for my rambling but that's just the way it is. Perhaps this overdone pastiche will be good for the analysts out there, if any should choose to do me the great favor of analyzing me, or giving me pointers.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Lastly, anyone have some suggestions on literature? I'd like a more organized introduction to typing, which on the internet devolves into a hodge-podge of symbols, brief expositions and too many charts for someone who prefers paintings.

if you've actually read all this, you probably have a greater attention span (and altruistic character) than I do, so congrats and thanks all at once... as you know, it's easier to spill out garbage than to clean it up, or in other words, to chatter about everything than listen to someone else for too long... at least it is for me...

Sincerely,

Samuel De Mazarin

P.S. That's not my real name. I wish it were.
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    INFJ

Welcome to the forum! It seems like you have an awesome personality! And pen name.

MBTI
    ENTP

Thank you, OctC! a bit tiring for both me and those around me at times... hope to get to know as many people around here as possible...

By the way.... I just wanted to add something to my last post (I know! Enough already!)... I know that quite a few people ask about ENTP/ENFP confusions... I just figured that my case history would help...

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

After reading your OP, you sound ENTP (with a high functioning F). Just my opinion. My ENFP twin is effusive, affectionate, deeply involved with peoples' troubles, and frankly, hasn't got the patience to make long posts that ENTPs frequently make.

I'm a borderline myself, between ENFJ/INFJ, but dominant Fe always jerks the reins away from Ni in the end, making me eNFJ. The Ni and Fe slapfight on occasion, much to my supreme disgruntlement.

Book suggestions, anyone? "Please Understand Me" is always a good place to start, but didn't we have a stickied thread for MBTI lit, folks? Whar it be?!
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Welcome to the Forums.

Well entp and spirituality is not an uncommon thing. Entp and drug abuse is not an uncommon thing either, even at the present moment when I am writing this, I am intoxicated. xD

After reading your post, I have intuitively no doubt about you being a feeling type. That is because of your closeness to the things you write. You spoke about alot of personal things and you presented about it all a very coherant and understandable point of view of yourself.

I guess entp is more about chaos. And that means no felt chaos. Feeling at this point is something that has to be tickled and cant be started by ones own. You were talking about yourself with a lot of feeling, I did get and I think eNTp's just cant do that. Not in that kind of way, where it actually makes sense or becomes not dramatic.

But then again, I am not the right one to judge. For me being probably being ISTP or ENTJ as I recently found out.

I guess after all the effort I put into finding out what type I fit most of all into, I lost sense of who I really am.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    GONE

Hello Samuel, well, you're certainly proving that ENXP is nothing if not ....eclectic?

Welcome to the site and as far as the ENTP vs ENFP question -- Go on -- join the dark side!!!

You can interpret that any way you wish.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP

Hmmmm... think I'll stick with the ENTP label for now, accepting that I have "highly-functioning" F... like PinkPiranha said... though entropie makes some good points.... see? this is my quandry....

as for the literature suggestions and what not, I should have been more proactive (ugh) about scouring the forums... there's a lot over here in which to immerse oneself... guess I'll start right now...

talk more soon, muchachos!

P.S. thanks again for the warm welcomes...

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post

After reading your post, I have intuitively no doubt about you being a feeling type. That is because of your closeness to the things you write. You spoke about alot of personal things and you presented about it all a very coherant and understandable point of view of yourself.
    I agree with Entropie, for the same reasons and from reading your posts on the forum.

while I am very emotional and often histrionic, I have no patience whatsoever with ill-formed arguments and am very quick to pounce on people who don't connect their premises with their conclusions, or make fallacies, or assume axioms which to me are untenable.
    The very emotional, even OFTEN hystrionic seems a dead give away.

The last sounds rather Te to me. I think if you keep on reading here you will see some of the other ENFP doing the same thing. *cough* CC, CzeCze, Gabe,

I found myself lecturing her, telling her she was too introverted, unable to communicate effectively.
    Could just be typical Extrovert vs. Introvert stuff. My Extroverted Feeling brother is my worst critic about my introversion, constantly harping on it, trying to force change.

MBTI
    ENFP

I would place you as an ENTP - the enthusiasm, intellectual energy is T for me.
    And the lecturing the g/f sory doesn't sound like F to me - it seems Ts tend to lecture me about being more logical.. I've never told anyone to be more emotional...
    But you're wecome in the F side too - ENFP is oh so nice... (Eeeek I dislike the word nice soooo much!)

MBTI
    ENTP

heart and jungie: I thought people'd never read this thread again... thanks for commenting... I'm glad you got to look at it following some time getting acquainted with me on other threads... but see where my problem was/is? Two votes for ENTP and two for ENFP... even after a more solid presence on the forum heart and jungie split...

I must admit, I haven't been doing much reading on the deeper breakdowns of secondary and tertiary functions... also, I was quite interested in the mindtype breakdown, so with more time I think I can nail this... maybe in the future, when I have some moolah in my pocket, I can actually take a professionally-administered test...

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.