User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Thumbs down Not your typical INFP

Hi everyone,

I've been interested in mbti for a couple of months now and I'm definitely INFP. I feel I differ from the type descriptions in so far as I'm not so dreamy, romantic, melancholic or fluffy kittenish!

I'm more optimistic, I don't like dwelling in misery. Maybe I reached a cut-off point or something. I can be really deep, but find it difficult to discuss this with people around me because I get too deep for their liking.

I've researched a lot about the cognitive functions and would like to deepen my understanding of them. So if anyone knows where I might find really in depth ideas, please point the way. :-)

I've started looking into Enneagram, I took the test and got 5w6 9w1 2w1 and also 6w5 9w1 2w1, so I'm not sure on that just yet.

That's enough about me for one post, nice to meet you all :-)

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Hey man, welcome aboard! Perhaps you are a 9w1, perhaps you are ISFP?

Also I told myself the same thing. That I was a "definite" INFP yet I basically didn't follow the stereotypes. Turns out when I actually got deep into the theory, I was obviously ISFP because of Ni and my general SP nature. Many people equate Fi dominant values with some NFP values.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

Many INFPs in this forum dislike the typical descriptions of INFPs - no wonder, they often sound quite extreme! I think they often describe only some kind of tendency, but in an exaggerated way.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Hey man, welcome aboard! Perhaps you are a 9w1, perhaps you are ISFP?

Also I told myself the same thing. That I was a "definite" INFP yet I basically didn't follow the stereotypes. Turns out when I actually got deep into the theory, I was obviously ISFP because of Ni and my general SP nature. Many people equate Fi dominant values with some NFP values.
    Thanks for your reply.
    I'm definitely not a ISFP, I'm quite unaware of my surroundings most of the time. I'm very much Fi-Ne, I relate very well to the descriptions of the cognitive functions, just not so much to the personality profile.

9w1 does describe me very well, I think I kept getting 5w6 because I focus mostly on finding things out, researching and understanding things. If I have a problem, I collect as much information as possible in order to work out a solution. Do 9w1 types tend to do this and mistype themselves as 5s or 6s?

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhart View Post
    Many INFPs in this forum dislike the typical descriptions of INFPs - no wonder, they often sound quite extreme! I think they often describe only some kind of tendency, but in an exaggerated way.
    I agree. What they describe I think is true as a small part of my personality, yet in descriptions of INFPs it sounds like the main aspect. For instance, I do stay true to my core values but because I don't like to make judgements, I actually don't have many. So often my values aren't relevant in my day to day actions and decisions.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Illusorylies View Post
    I agree. What they describe I think is true as a small part of my personality, yet in descriptions of INFPs it sounds like the main aspect. For instance, I do stay true to my core values but because I don't like to make judgements, I actually don't have many. So often my values aren't relevant in my day to day actions and decisions.
    They are internal feeling judgments. And if they don't happen all the time then I wonder if you found the correct type.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Actually, this sounds quite a bit like my dilemma. I wish you better luck settling on a type than I have had.

Anyways, welcome.

Thanks for your reply.
    I'm definitely not a ISFP, I'm quite unaware of my surroundings most of the time. I'm very much Fi-Ne, I relate very well to the descriptions of the cognitive functions, just not so much to the personality profile.

9w1 does describe me very well, I think I kept getting 5w6 because I focus mostly on finding things out, researching and understanding things. If I have a problem, I collect as much information as possible in order to work out a solution. Do 9w1 types tend to do this and mistype themselves as 5s or 6s?
    Hmm, I'd have to wonder which descriptions you're reading. In my opinion, most descriptions of INFPs tend to gravitate towards E9. Also E5 are stereotypically nihilistic rather than optimistic.

I very much relate. I am definitely INFP - Fi is in the driver's seat and my Ne is off the charts.

I frequently get little out of the prototypical INFP type descriptions. The biggest annoyance to me concerning this is that it makes other people think that all INFPs look that way, and then I have to go through the “I guarantee you, I’m an INFP” discussion.

People who get to know me well realize this, but people who first meet me often don't get what they would say is supposed to be the standard INFP vibe, and I frequently get accused of being INTP, or ENTP if I'm feel sociable or robustly making an argument for something (I’m so not a Ti user), or ISFP because I have sensual appetites and am concerned with physical skills and concerns, although my recent test results for sx/sp on instinctual subtypes explains a LOT of that in my opinion.

I recently took a free enneagram test and got 9w1, and the paid test didn't give me a wing but gave me the tritype 954, so I also relate to your 5 results. I research everything to death, insatiably curious, and must understand. FYI - @BlackCat is very knowledgeable on the enneagram.

Fi is in the driver's seat, and I feel deeply and passionately, but I am not "emotional" in the stereotypical way that some INFPs are. I'm “sensitive” to value issues, not sensitive emotionally. I’m very affectionate and demonstrative, but I constantly strive for harmony between my emotions and reason. This leads to a lot of temperance when it comes to how much sway my emotions have in how I conduct myself. It's hard to explain, but it is not found in a lot of profile descriptions, which paint a picture of someone who emotes constantly, is a sensitive flower that a good breeze would crush, and has an adversarial attitude towards logic. And as you said, I'm very optimistic as well.

If you are testing with 9w1, 5w6, and 2w1 results, you could possibly be a 952 tritype. Below is some information on 954 types that I found when looking around, but it also mentions 952:

Archetype: 459 954 549 is described as being intuitive, knowledgeable, and accepting. You want to be original, wise and peaceful. Highly self aware and reflective, you are very shy, reserved and self-conscious. You need regular quiet time to reflect on your thoughts and emotions. Easily flooded with emotion, it is difficult for you to voice your feelings and ideas to others.

Life Mission
    Your life mission is to delve deeply into the mysteries of life and share your insight with others. A true philosopher, you are happiest when you can write about your discoveries and discuss them with others. Making sense of your world is a never-ending quest.

*Most withdrawn/introspective-459, 954, 549

The 954 is more contemplative and the 952 will be more focused on others.

Introspective 9s with 5 in the tritype are the intellectual 9s. (9s with 4 are the deep, emotional 9s. The 9 with the 459 tritype is all of the above.

Naturally reserved and reflective, you see yourself as intuitive, introspective, perceptive and thoughtful. Responsible and diligent, you resist taking action that is not first well considered and thought out. You dislike making sudden changes and prefer to take time to think things through before acting. When opposed, you tend to take a step back or move away from others to evaluate your circumstances to manage problems.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    They are internal feeling judgments. And if they don't happen all the time then I wonder if you found the correct type.
    Good point. It's the wording that throws me off