User Tag List

First 123

heart on fire

I think Feelers have difficulty seeing themselves as feelers because Feeling is misunderstood. It does not mean a person is a 24/7 irrational, watering pot of emotional ooze, a living soap opera or something. It means that person tends to use the personal over the impersonal when making decisions.

MBTI
    INFP

Wedekit, what a brilliant response. (Not to diminish the waffling=pansy=F responses, they were enlightening, too, not to mention succinct.)

Quote Originally Posted by wedekit View Post
    Why? Because they constantly use the descriptive "emotional" to describe F's
    Ditto your whole paragraph.

Maybe the problem is that many questions on the MBTI can be read more than one way
    Agreed. I find yes or no/multiple choice tests incredibly difficult because I can always think of an extenuating circumstance, or an exception to the rule.

Sometimes I think asking the MBTI questions using short scenarios is the best method. Let me try making one for fun:
    Enjoyed your scenario immensely. Before I got to your analysis, I knew immediately that I'd let the old lady in. After all, the rule isn't the important thing, it's the reason for the rule. The odds are slim that a resident's grandmother would be in violation of the rule's intent. And I despise the slippery-slope argument (that if you make the exception for oma, it will open the floodgate for non-ID-bearing mischief-makers.)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Although I think that some pairs of types run parallel in many ways, I observe that temperaments themselves are distinct, and that a speculated continuum between poles of the functions is simply a result of theoretical imprecision. In other words, even though an ISTP and an ESTP may each test as xSTPs, nobody who knows both will consider the personalities very similar.

My point applies to the dorm dilemma. In such a particular circumstance, given a purported sixteen different personalities, it's unlikely that the decision on what to do with Granny would hinge solely on the Thinking/Feeling preference.

The forced choice is unrealistic, as most of the Thinking types, I submit, would consider the political ramifications of applying the letter of the law not at an airport security checkpoint but here, a dormitory -- with scarcely a thought about the grandmother other than that she is a grandmother. Intelligent people would try for a compromise: give name, address and phone number, and maybe even a number to call to retrieve ID information. An INTJ may characteristically bar Granny, but perhaps less because she is a Thinking type than because she has an underdeveloped sense of the external application of systems and rules -- that she is stereotypically doctrinaire. An ESTP? Pssshh, in you go, Granny (and you, sweetheart, see me a little later).

Each type would probably respond in its own way, offering unique justifications for each respective action, but only through compiled knowledge of a type's social behavior could one use these examples to identify temperament.

I feel the same way. Sometimes the thinking part of me takes over the emotional one. I'm pretty much balanced in all of it.
    Yesterday I was an INTJ and today I'm an INFP, it just depends on the kind of day I'm having and use it to my advantage.
    I think the best way to describe someone like this is a human.
    Welcome, earthling.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Waffling between T and A?

The better choice is obvious.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Rasa View Post
    Hey, there, everyone. Nice to meet you.

I haven't paid much heed to MBTI in the past because of mixed results with T and F. Whenever I've tested, I'm always a hair on one side or the other, nothing definitive. And when I read descriptions, I'm not as robotic as a T nor as emotional as an F.

Can anyone else relate?
    Every last one of us.

Don't let the distinctions fool you. Within every INFP struggles an ENTJ.

Neither is inherently better; both silhouettes.

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post

The forced choice is unrealistic, as most of the Thinking types, I submit, would consider the political ramifications of applying the letter of the law not at an airport security checkpoint but here, a dormitory -- with scarcely a thought about the grandmother other than that she is a grandmother. Intelligent people would try for a compromise: give name, address and phone number, and maybe even a number to call to retrieve ID information. An INTJ may characteristically bar Granny, but perhaps less because she is a Thinking type than because she has an underdeveloped sense of the external application of systems and rules -- that she is stereotypically doctrinaire. An ESTP? Pssshh, in you go, Granny (and you, sweetheart, see me a little later).
    Spot on.

I'm irritated that I've only recently begun to see your "spots". The error is a callous oversight of mine.

More should look for your spots.

MBTI
    INFJ

Also, it's mentionable that you possess the ability to use all of the 8 dichotomies, but you prefer 1 from each. If you haven't heard this before...: Hold your arms out to your side and then clasp your hands together. Look at which thumb is on top. This is your most comfortable position for your hands. If you do the same thing but intentionally put the other thumb on top it is not as comfortable of a fit as the last.

Your goal with the MBTI is to find which one fits the best; which one is more comfortable. Just because your a T doesn't mean you're bound to T. I personally believe that finding a way to balance your T and F appropriately is very important for everyone. Maybe waffling between T and F should be encouraging, because at least you know you have a capacity for both. :O)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

htb has an excellent point. I find the dorm scenario to be a question of S vs. N and J vs. P more than T vs. F.