my motivations are INFJ
    despite my friends and dad calling me " Spock " or " Psychopath "
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by AvereX View Post
    nonetheless,
    my motivations are INFJ
    Intriguing thought...I can understand that. My motivations are always F, but I generally use T to take action.

And here's a DiFranco back at ya:

and win or lose just that we choose
    this little war is what kills us
    and either/or it's that this war
    is maybe also what thrills us

Waffling is for pansies. If you're waffling, you must be an F!

Seriously though, I score as a high T, but both the INFP and INTP profiles fit me quite well. (The INTP one fits better.) Some are surprised when they find out I'm a T.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Some are surprised when they find out I'm a T.
    That's a good idea for a thread (and maybe one already exists)...hmmm, how do I phrase this eloquently?...do any of your preferences surprise others?

People are always surprised to learn I'm extremely, profoundly "I." I've always had jobs that require me to put on the E act, and I've gotten pretty good at it. But it's definitely an act. And for every hour I'm "on stage" I need 4 hours alone!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

INFP.

MBTI
    ENFJ

No, waffling is for pansies. P is for pansies. Remember this. J is for jasmine. And R is for rhubarb!

But enough of that. Welcome to the forums! At the moment I'm waffling, but that may just be the assortment of clowns at the INTJfourms throwing me off. I believe it's time for my research?

How many profiles have you read? I may be able to help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasa View Post
    I'm curious how much one's life stage and/or vocation affects the degree of T-ness or F-ness. For example, I worked for a few years at a financial consulting firm, which reinforced T. Now I'm at a place that demands more creativity, and so it seems my F is coming out of hiding.

Does proper MBTI philosophy allow for life circumstance affecting Type? Or is more an "I am what I am" thing?
    I once worked with a woman who was a manager at a very XSTJ-dominated place. She said she used to test as an INTP, but now tests as an ESTJ. I think she only tested ESTJ at work and due to work, because she was about the only XSTJ manager there I liked and shared a similar perspective with.

Type is mostly a constant thing, but growth brings out the opposite preferences more as we get older.

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    No, waffling is for pansies. P is for pansies. Remember this. J is for jasmine. And R is for rhubarb!
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    that may just be the assortment of clowns at the INTJfourms...
    Clowns? On the INTJ forum? That won't last long!

That's a good idea for a thread (and maybe one already exists)...hmmm, how do I phrase this eloquently?...do any of your preferences surprise others?
    Yes, it's an excellent idea for a personal thread. And, it would make a good general discussion thread also.

People are always surprised to learn I'm extremely, profoundly "I." I've always had jobs that require me to put on the E act, and I've gotten pretty good at it. But it's definitely an act. And for every hour I'm "on stage" I need 4 hours alone!
    I work an I job, and need your same 1:4 ratio of public to private time. An E moment at work usually means a meeting of 5-10 people I already know. Now that I work mostly at home, I actually have more friends and spend more time talking with them, so many think I'm an extravert. Actually, I have become more extraverted over the past few years. There's usually no confusion about me being an NP though.

heart on fire

I tend to think that people who are unsure of being T or F are F.
    Last edited by heart; 04-16-2008 at 02:23 PM.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I tend to think that people who are unsure are F.
    That's what I said, but thanks for interpreting it into F-ese.

MBTI
    INFJ

Though sometimes I am annoyed by people who waffle, I think it is understandable considering how the MBTI sucks with test-retest reliability.

I think the biggest problem with the MBTI is the way they go about explaining some of the dichotomies. Especially S/N and T/F. I've told this story in a couple of other posts but I'll do it again in here. Basically, I spent a long time thinking I was an INTJ. Why? Because they constantly use the descriptive "emotional" to describe F's. Though I identify with INFJ way more than I do INTJ now, I had to explore the MBTI through books (material found online is often questionable), to come to this conclusion. However, I still don't identify as emotional; I'm simply not. Yes, I have empathy. Yes, I'm a natural counselor. Yes, I am an idealistic romantic. No, I don't like to "share my feelings", as emotional tends to apply. I have never once in my life been "overcome by emotions". My exterior is probably very T-like because people often believe that I am one. However, on the inside I am most definitely an F through and through, but you will never ever see me "excessively affected by emotion". I'm not saying I don't feel emotions or anything, I just don't let them cloud my judgment (which the description of F seems to imply).

Maybe the problem is that many questions on the MBTI can be read more than one way, or they can describe a trait someone possesses in such a negative way that they don't wish to identify with it. Sometimes I think asking the MBTI questions using short scenarios is the best method. Let me try making one for fun:

-----
    At the Residence Hall where you live all visitors must be signed in by their host and they must leave a valid state ID at the front desk. The reason guests must leave an ID is so that the RA-On-Call knows who is still in the Residence Hall when guest hours are over at midnight. A big sign is placed at the front of the building that says "ALL GUESTS MUST LEAVE A VALID STATE ID AT THE FRONT DESK". A resident's grandmother came to visit her. While she was waiting for her granddaughter to come down and sign her in, she nice conversation with you about how great the weather was. When her granddaughter finally came down and was signing her in, her grandmother realized she didn't have her ID with her. All front desk workers are told not to let anyone in without leaving an ID, and doing so could get you in trouble if you were caught. Do you:

A. Tell her not to worry about it and let her through.
    B. Tell her you're sorry but you can't let her through.
    -----

This is drawn from an experience I observed this weekend. There were actually two people behind the front desk while this was happening; one INFP and one INTJ. The INFP was actually working and the INTJ was just watching T.V. with her behind the desk. So, since the decision was up to the INFP, take a lucky guess at which option she chose. In this manner, I think that there is a chance for someone to actually apply the theory to their personality. I would answer 'A' and I am proud to say so because I simply could not tell and old lady no. Also, I believe a thinking type would be proud to say 'B', since they certainly don't want to get in trouble for someone else's mistake.

Just to finish the story, in the real situation the INTJ asked the INFP why she let her through (she was quite mad). The INFP replied that she was old and that you are supposed to respect your elders, plus she argued that the grandmother wasn't really the reason we make guests leave their ID, saying "I'm pretty sure midnight is way past her bedtime, lol". The INTJ said that the sign at the front desk that says "ALL GUESTS MUST LEAVE A VALID STATE ID AT THE FRONT DESK" has always been there and that she has visited before and she knows the rules. She basically told her that if it was her she would not have let her through.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social