User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    91?

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Sorry introverts, but what the hell are you doing abroad if you're having trouble meeting people? What was your motivation for goin there in the first place?? I absolutely cannot understand this mindset.
    Well hello there! This forum is going to be interesting, I can tell.

"Meeting people" isn't everything! Engaging with a new culture, learning and practicing a new language, gaining an international worldview and perspective on the world that I can't get cooped up in the USA, experiencing the independence and freedom involved in studying abroad, taking on responsibilities, traveling, having adventures, taking classes from a Finnish perspective, learning about the education system here, experiencing culture shock and getting over it, experiencing authentic Finnish saunas, exploring a new city, finding every little local area and the best Finnish food, having quiet and intellectual conversations with Finns and other international students to share our ideas and culture, adapting and changing my worldview - whew, I lost the handle on that sentence! - those were and are my motivations.

Extraverts certainly don't have a monopoly on travel. Just because I'm having trouble forging deep relationships with people (and it's not like it's the end of my study abroad experience!) doesn't mean I'm not having a blast and gaining a lot from this experience, and all introverts can.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Yes, I agree Idealatious, I just wanted to shake up the atmosphere a little bit, since it seemed like everyone was agreeing with you

Anyway yes I also love to enjoy the culture when I'm living abroad, dipping in everything typical and historical a given place has to offer. But it's really not that easy to make long lasting international contacts (not job-related, I mean), so I think people should catch the opportunity and push themselves a little bit without beign self conscious, they'll end up feeling better about the whole experience.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    91?

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Yes, I agree Idealatious, I just wanted to shake up the atmosphere a little bit, since it seemed like everyone was agreeing with you

Anyway yes I also love to enjoy the culture when I'm living abroad, dipping in everything typical and historical a given place has to offer. But it's really not that easy to make long lasting international contacts (not job-related, I mean), so I think people should catch the opportunity and push themselves a little bit without beign self conscious, they'll end up feeling better about the whole experience.
    Oh really? - that's hilarious; I thought you were completely serious! I will endeavor to understand the complexities of ENTJs! And you make a good point, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by giegs View Post
    There's more to travel than the people you'll meet, as I'm sure you know. Just think, for a moment, of the places you'll go!

Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    Oh man, that sounds hard. As a perceiving type, all that detail-oriented planning is certainly not my strong point, but I'll try. Thanks for the advice!
    haha, whoops! That was definitely an onslaught of J! Ok, so you don't have to start 6 months beforehand - I squeezed it all into 2 months from start to finish. "Ideally" (haha) I would've started beforehand though, I know a Finn planning to study in Chicago soon, and she's been planning for a year. I guess I admire that! But yeah, don't take me too seriously.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Idealatious View Post
    I'm afraid not... But wow, someone from Florida has got to be loving or hating this weather! Which university? If it's the University of Tampere, I should meet him/her! But alas, I've only met 2 students from CA, 1 from GA, 1 from HI, umm... I think that's all! There aren't many North Americans here except us few special snowflakes, haha.
    I have no idea what university it is, I only know she's in Hämeenlinna; I haven't talked to her in years though. If you meet an A. Burns, do let me know - I could see some pretty epic trolling there. ^___^

figsfiggyfigs

TL;DR

Hi.

Riva

Sorry my first post has to unveil my inadequacies, I'd rather it be beautifully flippant, perhaps cynical, perhaps blindingly sincere, wreathed with ridiculous poetic prose and filled with my hopes and dreams. All that nonsense. So hi, everyone!
    This is one of the best OPs I have seen in a welcome and introductions thread .

high five party girl .

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    91?

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    This is one of the best OPs I have seen in a welcome and introductions thread .

high five party girl .
    Aww, thank you good sir! I take it that I win some sort of monetary prize? Or failing that, I suppose I could accept several Internets.

No but really; thanks!

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

welcome to the forum and dont worry about your op, the self-reflection you did show there is something other people havent learnt in years on this forum .

One word of advise, when doing mbti and you are a strong IJ so a bookworm, always remember that your insights into people will only be good when you can check them in reality. Meaning as long as you dont go to the party outside your door at least once, you will never get to know these people and cant judge them.

I am telling you this since the INJs huge imagination combined with introversion can bring them on paths far away from reality. since you said you dont want to feel alone, I am thinking its a wise decision to tell you to handle mbti with care.

And if you ever want to find me I am behind that door trieing to drink whiskey thru the nose and i am not american
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Hello, hello. Infrequent lurker here, always attempting to break my patterns of non-engagement on the Internet.
    Hey there! Welcome to the forums!

To be blatantly honest, I'm kind of lonely right now! I'm studying abroad in Finland, which is actually pretty amazing in many ways that I won't get into now, but all the exchange students do is party, and drink, and shriek outside my door at night. My attempts to make friends have so far resulted in many acquaintances and no good friends. I will keep trying with the Chinese and Russians, haha! (I'm American, by the way, expected to be rambunctious and partying)
    Sorry my first post has to unveil my inadequacies, I'd rather it be beautifully flippant, perhaps cynical, perhaps blindingly sincere, wreathed with ridiculous poetic prose and filled with my hopes and dreams. All that nonsense. So hi, everyone!
    Welcome to Tampere as well. I think this is a great city for a foreigner to visit. Have you already learnt why it's called Manse?

Finns are quite reserved indeed, but I still smile at them in the streets if our eyes meet; they probably know I'm American!
    A year ago I met another american exchange student who told me that Finns are douches. At least by first impression, but he added that once you get to know Finns, they are not all that bad. Except when it comes to rules. He said we seem to love having rules for everything. Also, he couldn't believe we'd use fork and knife to eat hamburgers. I guess that's the culture shock you also mentioned xD.

And yes... we can smell american kilometers away.
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    91?

I've made 50 posts already, wow! Sorry I've been neglecting to respond for a few days. I usually read things right away, and if it doesn't seem pressing or nothing immediately occurs to me as perfect to say, I think about it for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    TL;DR

Hi.
    ha ha, well hi! I do like to ramble, now don't I.

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    welcome to the forum and dont worry about your op, the self-reflection you did show there is something other people havent learnt in years on this forum .
    Ha ha, thanks! And I get what you mean. Hmmm, that's very true about INJs; you must know a few! (...I thought there was a nodding emoticon? Why can't I... eh. Pretend like I am nodding right now, hehe. You can even imagine a creepy cat nodding if that is better than a simplistic yellow face nodding.)

Large parties just... aren't my thing though. Surely there are other ways of getting to know people! I will do so slowly, mostly through joining an excessive number of clubs. Don't worry; I've been to a few big parties and may end up in a few more, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Habba View Post
    Hey there! Welcome to the forums!

Welcome to Tampere as well. I think this is a great city for a foreigner to visit. Have you already learnt why it's called Manse?

A year ago I met another american exchange student who told me that Finns are douches. At least by first impression, but he added that once you get to know Finns, they are not all that bad. Except when it comes to rules. He said we seem to love having rules for everything. Also, he couldn't believe we'd use fork and knife to eat hamburgers. I guess that's the culture shock you also mentioned xD.

And yes... we can smell american kilometers away.
    Hello there and thanks for the welcome! Great to see that Tampere has representatives on TypeC! Yes; I've learned a bit about Tampere's history.

Aw, I wouldn't say that about Finns! Although I do find all the queues weird - I'm used to bank tellers just calling the next people up! Kind of impersonal, eh? hehe; but I've met a couple incredibly extraverted Finns. Despite the cultures of countries, they'll always be people who don't exemplify their home culture. I try not to be obnoxious about my American-ness anyway.

...I've been avoiding the McDonalds down the block, haha. >_>