User Tag List

123 Last

Default New to the forum, old hat at MBTI, but still uncertain of type, help me?

Hi everyone, I haven't lurked here one bit, but maybe I will in the future; for now I have not a clue about the community here. I came here with one intention in mind however, and that is to either be typed in MBTI or officially give up on it and think its not worth it to know or care. I don't know how much of the information I'm about to dish out is revelant to my search or not, but I'll do it anyway.

I don't know if I should tell you about myself or what, my latest score for MBTI was ISFJ and ISFP before that on free tests. The first score I ever got on a very simple test back in high school was ISTJ and then I modified it to ISTP. For the longest time, I scored INTP and INTJ in socionics and someone tried to type me as INFP then ESFP? Pretty wierd history huh? The only introvert type I haven't really scored is INFJ and the only extravert type suggested is ESFP.

A bit about myself: I'm a 19 year old male and I have a very strong interest in classical music and piano that I chiefly identify with. I also am an excellent walker, biker and eater; I have a ridiculous amount of physical stamina and since I don't drive, I get around that way, relying on public transit only when I have to. My mental health tends to go down the drain if I don't get out. All the same, I get out for the fresh air and the exercise, not the people, though I need some interaction throughout the day to keep my crazy thoughts in check and assure myself that I'm likable to others. I suppose that's a succinct way of putting it. I really like science fiction for literature, though I've struggled through a few big victorian novels(david copperfield, and the claverings) and found the result rewarding. I have a piano teacher who's 58 and is my best friend and mentor, he teaches me about literature, films, piano, and music theory though its a two way street when it comes to the classical music listening repertoire. Sometimes I get very bored with reading, I find it difficult to sustain my attention but I muscle through anyway.

I have major goals in life. I want to be a composer or an instrument builder maybe. But sometimes I wonder if I'm at all suited to my dreams because I never get anything done. I have no discipline over the long term, I just have big ideas. I also am interested in getting back into paleontology, I always dreamed of being a scientist.

I've gone through phases of intense scientific and art interest, first being paleontology, then classical music, then astronomy, then chemistry, then psychology and mental health and personality types, then back to classical music and a little literature on the side, and then ancient musical instrument construction. Anything outside of these interests at a given time and my eyes uncontrollably glaze over, though I want to force myself all the time because I feel I should have a sharper mind for achieving goals, I'd love to be an instrument builder but sometimes I feel like I don't have the right mind or personality for it, its really frustrating and depressing. I'd like to read more books but I have the same fear again. I'd like to be a better pianist, but its hard work to learn new pieces, though I have an excellent memory(terrible site reader). I spend way too much time on the internet.

I have had severe mental health issues in my earlier teens and even more recently but I feel better now, as long as I stay on my medication.

I'm more straight than gay but I've never had a girlfriend. My one relationship was with a guy but he wore no me and my attraction faded.

I was inspired to come here because I recently had a date set up on okcupid with a very bright, artsy/cerebral, cute and intimidating girl who claimed to be an ENFP and enneagram two. She told me after the meeting she was certain I was a 9 wing 1. I'm probably never going to see her again because she got bored with me, though I found her extremely likable and attractive.

I understand that in socionics especially, there is a visual aspect to typing as well? I wonder how many experts there are on the site that can help with the information I have here, and if not visual can be a fall back. Maybe I'll contribute more, see where I fit in, and what you guys talk about in general(not just type stuff I hope), and then I can be typed.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Welcome to the forum.
    I'd like to point out that there is no 'need' to decide on a type right now. For most people, one type fits better than others. But the point is to know and understand yourself and others, rather than place people into four letter boxes.

ThatGirl

Perhaps you can post the questions of the test you took. For each question please note how you interpeted it, and why you chose the answer you did.

Edit: two sentences max per question. 1 to rephase it, and a second to explain why.

Edit 2: then we can go through each question, identify and note what function is being used to answer it. At the end we can tally the functions to see what your dominant ones are.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Medtnertunes View Post
    A bit about myself: I'm a 19 year old male and I have a very strong interest in classical music and piano that I chiefly identify with.
    You identify with inanimate objects?
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-up Rex View Post
    You identify with inanimate objects?
    He was referring to his interest.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

INFP? You remind me somewhat of myself (who happens to not be an INFP). Your love of physical activity/being outside overall suggests ISxP. But then, many N's enjoy the outdoors as well.

I'll creep on here and decide later

Oh, and welcome to here.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    He was referring to his interest.
    Sir, I read English perfectly well. That man says he has an interest in classical music and chiefly identifies with pianos. I want to know what that's about.

Ginkgo

Sir, I read English perfectly well. That man says he has an interest in classical music and chiefly identifies with pianos. I want to know what that's about.
    If he said "a piano", then yes. However, he wasn't talking about a concrete piano. He was talking about an area of interest, practice, etc!

But you got one thing right at least. I don't think you knows yur Engrish!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    If he said "a piano", then yes. However, he wasn't talking about a concrete piano. He was talking about an area of interest, practice, etc!

But you got one thing right at least. I don't think you knows yur Engrish!

To say one identifies with an area of interest is even more odd and nonsensical than saying you identify with an inanimate object. I, for example, may have an interest in history and ballet, but I don't identify with either of those things. I can identify with historical figures. I can identify with well-known ballerinas. I may even identify with certain qualities necessary to be a good dancer or an astute historian. But I can't identify with the general field of ballet or history.

And how dare you use Bugs Bunny against me in this way.

Ginkgo

To say one identifies with an area of interest is even more odd and nonsensical than saying you identify with an inanimate object. I, for example, may have an interest in history and ballet, but I don't identify with either of those things. I can identify with historical figures. I can identify with well-known ballerinas. I may even identify with certain qualities necessary to be a good dancer or an astute historian. But I can't identify with the general field of ballet or history.

And how dare you use Bugs Bunny against me in this way.
    Well if he thinks that his interests help make up his identity, then yes he does identify with those things. Do you think your interests help make up your identity? Furthermore, if the field of ballet includes ballerinas, and you are a ballerina, then in identifying with yourself, you identify with at least one part of the field of ballet.

i·den·ti·fy   [ahy-den-tuh-fahy, ih-den-] Show IPA verb, -fied, -fy·ing.
    verb (used with object)
    to recognize or establish as being a particular person or thing; verify the identity of: to identify handwriting; to identify the bearer of a check.
    to serve as a means of identification for: His gruff voice quickly identified him.
    to make, represent to be, or regard or treat as the same or identical: They identified Jones with the progress of the company.
    to associate in name, feeling, interest, action, etc. (usually followed by with ): He preferred not to identify himself with that group.

Biology . to determine to what group (a given specimen) belongs.