User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Who Am I?

Quote Originally Posted by BeBecky View Post
    Thanks for sharing that link. Can you tell me how you came to the conclusion that I am a "well balanced ISTJ" from the little bit I've written on here?

I'm curious what some "telltale" signs of an ISTJ besides liking to have things organized.
    You're welcome.

Keep in mind that I was expressing my current impression rather than a conclusion.

The things which indicated ISTJ are:

1. Your self-report of identifying most with ISTJ. I figure you know yourself better than any of us know you.

2. You stated that you like to view things as simple.

3. You seem to be mostly living in the present without too much theoretical and abstract focus. It's not entirely clear how this relates to your English major, which seems like a more intuitive preference.

4. You describe liking to sit and watch details. (I like to do that too, but I'm always thinking about what they mean and trying to fit them into an overall picture.)

Maybe you could talk more about your intuitive interests... English, literature, poetry, strategy, and things like that.

Edit: I'm focusing only on the S vs N preference for now, since that's really the only thing which stood out to me.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Ok, more about English, literature, poetry, strategy...

I majored in English because it is easy for me to organize thoughts on paper. I much better at that than creative writing. I can write things clearly and concisely.

In literature, I like symbolism and metaphors. I'm not sure why, they are just powerful to me. I appreciate the art of connecting things and ideas that may not normally go together. I used to be better at this than I am now since my job involves news-writing, so I'm not allowed much room for metaphorical references there and I rarely feel like writing more once I get home.

Pretty much the same for poetry as literature. Though, I have to say, I can't stand "fluffy" poems that sound like their trying to be profound but really have no meaning.

Strategy...hmm...a number of my friends have a thing for strategy board games (like Risk), and I enjoy those, but I think in a different way than they do. I enjoy playing over and over again so I can try different strategies and find the one that works the best, then TAKE OVER THE WORLD! muhaha! I don't usually have a defined strategy when I go into it, I have to just see what everyone else is doing and play off that. Other than games, I tend to strategize in my head for things I can say and do that will get people to do what I want....not always though, only if I have a specific purpose for it. I always feel evil when I do it too. I'm not evil, really!

It sounds like you're well-balanced on S vs. N then.

Why did you pick ISTJ instead of INTJ? Did you seem to identify more with the ISTJ profile? Do both fit equally well?

MBTI
    xNTP

An ISTJ wouldn't major in English. It's too impractical. Also, allegedly those with a preference for Sensing do not like and/or find it difficult to interpret things metaphorically. It would be very difficult to complete a a degree in english without some preference for intuition.

... But, I could be stereotyping.

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post

Why did you pick ISTJ instead of INTJ? Did you seem to identify more with the ISTJ profile? Do both fit equally well?
    Weird. We have exactly the same number of posts. Or at least we did before this one.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I know an ISTJ who's a big fan of literature

hello and welcome!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    An ISTJ wouldn't major in English. It's too impractical. Also, allegedly those with a preference for Sensing do not like and/or find it difficult to interpret things metaphorically. It would be very difficult to complete a a degree in english without some preference for intuition.
    Well, I didn't start college as an English major. I started as a biology major with the hopes of doing something having to do with studying nature. I still think I would have enjoyed it. I don't really remember why I switched to English...might have had something to do with me not getting the A+'s I was used to because I was spending too much time with a certain lab partner. Anyhow, I switched to English because I knew I was good at it, and I had decided I wanted to work with publications, so it would be handy there. ...or something like that.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post

I was fine with the INTJ profile at first, but then I went to a forum with a bunch of INTJs and they all seemed really arrogant and unsociable...could have just been that group though. I don't always like talking to people, but not really to the extent they were referring to. As far as being arrogant or self-assured...at times I know I can be stubborn, but I also have a terrible time making some decisions (not all, but many people have noted how indecisive I am). I think my indecisiveness is because I overthink all the possibilities of what would happen or what people would think depending on what I choose. Other times I just do whatever I want regardless of anything else.

I thought maybe I was ISTJ instead, but then I wasn't sure about that either....so that's how I ended up here...pleading for help!

If it's possible for people to be both, I guess I could be somewhere inbetween. I've heard it said that a person is always one or another though, not mixes. *sigh*

MBTI
    xNTP

Well, I didn't start college as an English major. I started as a biology major with the hopes of doing something having to do with studying nature. I still think I would have enjoyed it. I don't really remember why I switched to English...might have had something to do with me not getting the A+'s I was used to because I was spending too much time with a certain lab partner. Anyhow, I switched to English because I knew I was good at it, and I had decided I wanted to work with publications, so it would be handy there. ...or something like that.
    In that light English is a practical choice for a major. Perhaps you are an ISTJ.

MBTI
    INXP

1.) Are you more observant or introspective?
    2.) Is it worse to have your head in the clouds or to be in a rut?
    3.) Are you more sensible or ideational?
    4.) Are you more interested in what is actual or possible?
    5.) Are you more speculative or factual?
    6.) Do you prefer writers who say what they mean OR those who use metaphors and symbolism?
    7.) Do facts speak for themselves or do they just illustrate principles?
    8.) Do you consider yourself a person with common sense?
    9.) Do you speak in particulars or generalities?

1. Observant
    2. whichever one you are less happy doing =p I guess I'd choose "head in the clouds"
    3. sensible
    4. possible
    5. hmm...not sure. I think I use facts to speculate about the future.
    6. I like metaphors and symbolism as far as literature goes. I majored in English in college.
    7. facts illustrate principles
    8. Yes, lots of it.
    9. depends what I'm talking about - maybe generalities.

In case it's of interest, out of the little online tests I took, at least one said I was INTJ, but when I read their profile, it didn't sound like me overall.
    Hmm, you don't sound like an ISTJ from those answers.... they'd be unlikely to state preferences in principles and possibilities and speculation on the future.