User Tag List

123 Last

Talking Yet another frustrated INTP!

I already registered over at the INTP forums and thought this might be a better place to look for answers. I keep testing as INTP but keep stumbling onto things that are not that INTP about me in comparison to the majority on the INTP forums. Anyway, I have no Idea how to do a forum intro since I dont get that sudden extroversion kick that other introverts seem to get when thay can be anonymous, so heres a few things about me:

Hate math and chemistry and suck at it.
    Like people, good leader, enjoyed management.
    Hate my job as a researcher, I need more activity and variety;
    I can't sit still for hours a day and still concentrate, I wonder if I work best when the external intuitive doesn't get thought on too much by the internal thinking function before I can act on it (the external intuitive)...at least some of the time, especially with things that don't really need/benefit from over thinking. (Again, I wonder if other INTPs would hate that sentence, but let it flow and it makes sense, also I added parentheses to help you keep up.)
    Completely confused about what career to pursue.
    Have a BA in anthropology.
    Artistic...but realistic, I cant make a career out of that stuff.
    I think most people ignore context way too much...its one of my pet peeves ( I hate that phrase as well).
    Nothing frustrates me more than not bing able to make sense of something (like life!).
    Also, I love talking shit, sarcasm, and making fun of myself and others like me. Im constantly amazed at how few people can take a joke on forums. If it sounds too ridiculous or insulting, and gets you all worked up, then its probably a joke.

I wonder why the normally unemotional INTP types tend to have anger as their dominant emotion, Im constantly reading posts talking about getting pissed about this or that, and think, anger is an emotion too, wheres that coming from?

Thats me in a nutshell....kinda (with some ranting thrown in).

Yay introductions.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Welcome. None of those things sound particularly non-INTP to me. So you don't hermit into a corner researching with occasional breaks for rants. *shrug* Though I suppose some of your qualities do sound somewhat ENTP-ish.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Hi !hi:

heart on fire

hi

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

I'd say the only thing that goes against the INTP Grain there is the enjoyment of leadership positions, but that doesn't mean you're not. The question about personality isn't always about behaviors, but HOW and WHY you do and enjoy those things.

What did you like about management?

Hi all!

nozflubber, thats a tough one. I enjoyed that, since I was out in the field without higher supervision, all decisions and methods for management were entirely up to me. I also enjoyed the fact that I could effectively direct my crew without breathing down their necks and without "managing them" I came up with a plan and a method, explained it, got some laughs, and they were off. I guess more specifically, I liked that it was validation for my approach to problem solving, I came up with ideas and saw them executed successfully. I was also strangely good at diffusing tense situations among crew and people we interacted with (I didn't enjoy the diffusing part, but did enjoy that I was able to successfully). I enjoyed that I could prove that effective management doesn't equate to being an overbearing corporate minded dick. That I could get things done quickly, efficiently, and with a crew that didnt feel screwed by their manager at the end of the day.
    I also liked the variety of day to day work and being outside.
    I posted it in the INTP forum under anthropology, and Ill put it here:
    Im surprised that INTPs arent more interested in people since they are the ultimate thinking exercise. They are infinitely variable, so many types and personalities, you can spend so much time interacting with them and trying to make sense of them...seems to really tickle the extroverted intuition function and provides endless things to think on.

MBTI
    INTP

I wonder why the normally unemotional INTP types tend to have anger as their dominant emotion, Im constantly reading posts talking about getting pissed about this or that, and think, anger is an emotion too, wheres that coming from?
    Be careful about extrapolating from what you see on the message boards to INTPs in general (if you're a researcher you should know better). They're a very small, self-selected and for the most part very young group, not necessarily representative of the whole, especially INTPc.

skip, sorry about the misunderstanding, I definitely wasn't applying it to INTPs in general (thats impossible, I dont know them all, or even a large percentage of them), but I know its somewhat true for me (frustration = anger a lot more than it = joy), and I think INTPs, dare I say, in general, are frustrated. I only meant in the context of the forums, thats the impression I get.

I may be going out on a limb about the frustration thing, but it stands to reason that they would be since there is a general craving to understand things among INTPs, and since not being able to make sense or unravel something can be frustrating and there are a lot of things in life that take some hefty thought to sort out, Id imagine that many are frustrated, like I am. But maybe I'm projecting.

Welcome. Is it safe to assume that the Grey Death is less threatening than the Black Death?

The explanation of your approach to management does sound typical of an INTP.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyDeath View Post
    Im surprised that INTPs arent more interested in people since they are the ultimate thinking exercise. They are infinitely variable, so many types and personalities, you can spend so much time interacting with them and trying to make sense of them...seems to really tickle the extroverted intuition function and provides endless things to think on.
    I am very interested in people and their systems. I did a BA in psych, and one of my side interests is learning about the primitive living and survival skills of native people.

Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    Be careful about extrapolating from what you see on the message boards to INTPs in general (if you're a researcher you should know better). They're a very small, self-selected and for the most part very young group, not necessarily representative of the whole, especially INTPc.
    Excellent point.

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Welcome. Is it safe to assume that the Grey Death is less threatening than the Black Death?
    Yeah, much less threatening; I'm not deadly, only mildly debilitating.

Have you found the BA useful since? (outside of personal enjoyment...as in career)

My BA in cultural anth. was fascinating for the same reasons you stated about psych, but I haven't found a use for it since other than questioning peoples reasons for behavior and belief....ah culture. Just wondering if you went for more education in psych.