User Tag List

Thread: Hello to you all

Junior Member Array

Default Hello to you all

I'm an INFP. Just joined today. Found Typology Central while looking for resources to handle a job re-assignment I will soon undergo at work as the result of budget cuts for the upcoming fiscal year. My options were being laid off or accepting a demotion and a $2,000 a year pay cut.

I just got a new roof on my house two months ago and am tied to the bank in a new way for the next five years, so I accepted a demotion.

I have worked against type for years now. My job is clerical, routine, not creative, not conducive to conversation, what-iffing, big picture thinking. But it pays the bills.

People ask, "How's it going?" I answer, "Great! I show up, and they give me money."

I don't see things as being really bad right now. At the least, I am getting a change from what has been a tough row to hoe for two years now.

Two years ago, my office was merged with others into a new larger office, and I got dumped on people who really didn't want me.

I have used my chameleon powers to deal with suspicion and resentment. I have learned to keep my mouth shut and stop asking "why?" and "what if?" That has been very hard. I have learned to use my right brain to do left-brained tasks and do them well.

Many days I come home so fried I can't do much but slump at the dining room table and fall asleep. My home environment has suffered. Keeping things organized and harmonious has been nearly impossible.

However, during the past year, I have developed much more sympathy for people dealing with stress, I have learned to cut to the chase in conversations more effectively, and I have learned to prioritize and focus much better. In addition, I have learned to take much better care of my health.

I have no problem in theory with working against type, though I understand from reading the work of Katherine Benziger that doing what I am not wired for can waste a lot of brain energy--literally.

I would love to have a "great" job for my personality/brain type, but I guess there is a part of me that believes we can make our own heaven or hell wherever we are, whatever we do, and part of making heaven involves building trust and communicating, learning "hacks" to get around problems, trying to find ways to break through what everyone else sees as impenetrable walls.

Then, too, the cynic in me says, "I have to 'pass"; I have bills to pay."

Anyway, I am excited to find this forum.

Honor Thy Inferior Array Such Irony's Avatar
    5w6 sp/so
    LII Ne

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about your job situation, hopefully things will improve soon.
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Neutral Good

9w8 so/sx

Your user name is a lie!! What's with that?!?

6w7 so/sx
    EII Ne

hello edith

sorry about your job situation, mine is like that too right now. i like the extra intellectual stimulation the forum provides, i hope you will find the same!

that's interesting, about wasted brain energy. i'll have to look up benzinger.