User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

Default That elusive creature... the female ISTP

And I see there are some other such lurking around here, which is sweet!

About Me!

I live with my INTP partner, who is a grad student. His school friends are (predictably) pretty much all N types, who to me are like fun aliens. I was introduced to MBTI by him and his ENFJ mom; I tested as ISTP, saw a description that said ISTPs like fixing things so much that they will create problems if they don't have enough, and said "holy crap, there must be something to this!" Both my parents are Ns and I went to an N-heavy elite college, so I'm in the somewhat unusual position of being an S who's usually been in the minority as such.

I work as a freelance programmer. After college I got a 9-5 "real job" programming, but quit after just a few weeks because I couldn't stand having to go to an office every day; just like I skipped the last two years of high school to run a theatre group and work for my parents because showing up at school every morning seemed way too restrictive :P. Debugging is my favorite part of programming, and I like installing new operating systems on various things I find in my house.

I'm not very good at taking the lead in conversations or friendships, but that usually doesn't mean I'm not interested. I like getting to know people through doing activities together (e.g. becoming friends with a lab partner, or having a game night with new potential friends), and I'm not likely to continue pursuing friendships with people who don't enjoy activities I enjoy. I'm inclined to talk more or be more verbally aggressive when I drink (which is fairly frequently). I spend all day at home working my myself, and then I often get lonely/cabin feverish in the evenings and try to find people to hang out with.

I make a moderate effort to dress fashionably/attractively. I hate talking on the phone, in large part because I'm bad at reading tone of voice or focusing on someone who is talking, and the low fidelity of the phone exacerbates those issues. I am getting better at sending emails that will get me the information I need without implying that I'm upset.

I find it a lot easier to get to know men on average, though that may just be a coincidence of the types of people I meet (my best friend in college was a female INTP); most of my friends currently are guys whose idea of a good time is "HURR BEER ELECTRONICS MASTURBATION BURRITOS" and I am all "HURR BEER ELECTRONICS MASTURBATION BURRITOS" back. I like one-liners and startling people and dares and drinking games.

That was lengthy, so probably most of you didn't read it. Hi everyone

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Welcome!

MBTI
    istp

Mmm... burritos. Welcome.
    No offense.

His school friends are (predictably) pretty much all N types, who to me are like fun aliens.
    Hey, what do ya know; vague and ambiguous INTPs are aliens to me too.

After college I got a 9-5 "real job" programming, but quit after just a few weeks because I couldn't stand having to go to an office every day; just like I skipped the last two years of high school to run a theatre group and work for my parents because showing up at school every morning seemed way too restrictive
    Wow. Can I have your courage and ballsiness?

and I'm not likely to continue pursuing friendships with people who don't enjoy activities I enjoy.
    Who would? "Hey. Want to see a movie?" "Nah." "Want to take a walk in the park on this beautiful day?" "No." "Oh. Ok. Well, do you like... um, what do you like?" "I like sex and Star Trek conventions, preferably together."

I make a moderate effort to dress fashionably/attractively.
    Me too! I like doing that. I enjoy learning new things about applying make-up; I also like finding new and sometimes better cleaning products to use on my face and hair. Sometimes being a girl is fun; other times, I resent having to put any effort into my appearance for the day, because I'm feeling lazy and unmotivated to look presentable.

most of my friends currently are guys whose idea of a good time is "HURR BEER ELECTRONICS MASTURBATION BURRITOS"
    Hahaha.

Hi!
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Elusive, maybe, but I did beat you here

Welcome

I have also been the only S around, both among my family and closest friends, (not to mention we are waaaay outnumbered here) so I know how you feel

MBTI
    INTP

Hey, cool. Another one. We need more of you around here. Where did Uber's cloning device go?

ISTPs rock.

MBTI
    INTP

Great to see another ISTP here.

Welcome.

Another S saying Welcome!

One of my best friends is ISTP. She's so cool - has a chainsaw in the trunk of her car just in case someone needs a tree cut down.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by anotherthink View Post
    I was introduced to MBTI by him and his ENFJ mom;
    Ooh, that must have made for interesting family dynamics

I tested as ISTP, saw a description that said ISTPs like fixing things so much that they will create problems if they don't have enough, and said "holy crap, there must be something to this!"

I skipped the last two years of high school to run a theatre group and work for my parents because showing up at school every morning seemed way too restrictive :P.
    I love you

Debugging is my favorite part of programming, and I like installing new operating systems on various things I find in my house.
    I think my husband would love you too. Wanna come and live with us ?

I am getting better at sending emails that will get me the information I need without implying that I'm upset.

most of my friends currently are guys whose idea of a good time is "HURR BEER ELECTRONICS MASTURBATION BURRITOS" and I am all "HURR BEER ELECTRONICS MASTURBATION BURRITOS" back.
    You're a funny one !

That was lengthy, so probably most of you didn't read it.
    We spend all our time on this forum, so what else do we have to do, but read long posts ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    Who would? "Hey. Want to see a movie?" "Nah." "Want to take a walk in the park on this beautiful day?" "No." "Oh. Ok. Well, do you like... um, what do you like?" "I like sex and Star Trek conventions, preferably together."
    MEH :steam: !? What's NOT to like about sex and Star Trek conventions?? Especially together

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Glad to have you here! I've never met another ISTP female (except our Random).
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious