User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi everyone!

Procrastinating Array

Welcome Ditz! Good to meet you.

Egocentricity is running rampant in the world. That will limit the number of people you can, comfortably, interact with. Their loss.
    Last edited by Seanan; 02-23-2008 at 02:40 AM.

Hi - welcome!

Protocol Droid Array Athenian200's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ditz View Post
    Hey all, I just registered and thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a pretty typical INTP. First and foremost I consider myself an (analytic) philosopher. Truth is probably the thing I most value. Being a philosopher, though, I realize how elusive it is. With so many of our "obvious" beliefs being problematic, I often get annoyed when the more . . . vocal people claim to "know" even more dubious things. I especially get annoyed with fundamental religious people. How can one claim to know God exists when I don't even "know" if there is an external world, if I am the same "person" now as I was in the past, or hell what knowledge even is?
    I don’t want to stir up shit, but there is one thing I have to vent about. That is the attitude that some people seem to have that truth is subjective, and logic doesn’t apply to them. Just because something makes you feel bad, doesn’t mean it’s not true, and just because everyone has a right to their opinion, it doesn’t mean that everyone’s opinion is right. If you say that 2+2=5, or the world is flat you can’t justly criticize me for acting intellectually superior, or being arrogant, or “trying to tell you how to think” when I say you’re wrong. The truth is the truth. I’m either trying to help you out, or have a discussion. Socrates pissed a good many people off, but that wasn't his aim.
    Ugh, this turned out more negative than I wanted, but it feels good to get it out. Thanks for listening to my rants.
    Hello, Ditz (rather ironic name for you?). Welcome to MBTI Central. Feel free to ask any questions you may have about MBTI or general psychology.

I understand what you mean... other people appear so certain of things that they don't even comprehend. I'm pretty sure that I exist in some form, but I'm not sure that anything I perceive is real. I usually get around this by deciding that if I make certain assumptions (like my sense experience or scientific understanding of certain phenomena being valid), certain things can be concluded within the context of the information assumed to be true, and what is assumed to be valuable. If you don't emotionally decide certain things to be desirable or undesirable, situations merely exist or do not exist, and one outcome or situation is not inherently better than any other. Logic can be quite a vacuum. Truth itself may not be relative, but it may be that our understanding of it can only be relative because human minds aren't sufficiently complex to grasp pure truth.

This is an INFJ's perspective, though, so I don't know how you see the process of decision/understanding with a dominant Ti.

I definitely agree with you that it's arrogant for people to assert that something is true as if they knew it for certain, when they clearly don't and can't know that.

827 sp/so
    SLE Ti

hello and welcome! have some welcome points and please fill this out so that we can get to know a bit more about you!
    Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom? -Terry Pratchett

Senior Member Array alcea rosea's Avatar

I like your name.

I thought for sure you were going to be NF.

I didn't know INTPs were ditzes, so thank you for enlightening me.

And welcome!
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux