User Tag List

First 12

Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Hello.

  1. #11
    It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    2,924

    Default

    Hi Welcome, glad to have you on board.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

  2. #12
    Junior Member Katharsis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Good answer. I disagree completely, but it's a good answer.
    I'd be happy to hear your thoughts about it. Why do you disagree?

  3. #13
    Senior Member ThatsWhatHeSaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    7,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katharsis View Post
    I'd be happy to hear your thoughts about it. Why do you disagree?
    Well, first, I don't always believe catharsis is necessary for self-improvement. There're some situations and some feelings where neglect and distraction is a more appropriate medicine than attention and analysis leading up to catharsis. For example, addiction. A person who's addicted to sex, food, or even the internet would benefit better from just stopping and moving on, rather than analyzing and hoping to uncover some memory that might trigger something, etc, etc.

    Second, I don't always believe catharsis is sufficient for self-improvement. A catharsis has to be accompanied by a behavioral plan in order to be effective. Why? Because the intensity of catharsis will wear off eventually and the old thoughts and emotional patterns will creep back in. The person needs some type of heuristic to deal with those when he can't rely on his intense emotions. In other words, you don't always get closure. (You didn't argue that you do, but I'm clarifying.)

    Third, I'm not convinced catharsis has to happen with material from the past. Merging with one's pain can be done in the present with the painful feelings one is experiencing right now. Digging into the past can be useful sometimes, but often I think it's unnecessary and sometimes harmful. A person can look at the part of their experience they're currently repressing and make space for it right now, merging together their ego and shadow and creating catharsis.

  4. #14
    Junior Member Katharsis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Well, first, I don't always believe catharsis is necessary for self-improvement. There're some situations and some feelings where neglect and distraction is a more appropriate medicine than attention and analysis leading up to catharsis. For example, addiction. A person who's addicted to sex, food, or even the internet would benefit better from just stopping and moving on, rather than analyzing and hoping to uncover some memory that might trigger something, etc, etc.

    Second, I don't always believe catharsis is sufficient for self-improvement. A catharsis has to be accompanied by a behavioral plan in order to be effective. Why? Because the intensity of catharsis will wear off eventually and the old thoughts and emotional patterns will creep back in. The person needs some type of heuristic to deal with those when he can't rely on his intense emotions. In other words, you don't always get closure. (You didn't argue that you do, but I'm clarifying.)

    Third, I'm not convinced catharsis has to happen with material from the past. Merging with one's pain can be done in the present with the painful feelings one is experiencing right now. Digging into the past can be useful sometimes, but often I think it's unnecessary and sometimes harmful. A person can look at the part of their experience they're currently repressing and make space for it right now, merging together their ego and shadow and creating catharsis.
    Hmm. But if you recognize patterns that could be deeply rooted in bad past experiences, wich lead to negative emotion and action, don't you think it would be easier to avoid behaviour that could be harmful to yourself or others in the future? To stop and analyze the situation, "This is what caused me problems in the past, but now I choose not to go down that road because I'm aware of the consequences.".

  5. #15
    Senior Member ThatsWhatHeSaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    7,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katharsis View Post
    Hmm. But if you recognize patterns that could be deeply rooted in bad past experiences, wich lead to negative emotion and action, don't you think it would be easier to avoid behaviour that could be harmful to yourself or others in the future? To stop and analyze the situation, "This is what caused me problems in the past, but now I choose not to go down that road because I'm aware of the consequences.".
    It could be useful, but is it necessary, and at what cost? If you can figure out what you're doing wrong RIGHT NOW, why would you have to dig into the past and find the moment you first screwed up?

Similar Threads

  1. Say hello to Geoff, your new overlord
    By Ivy in forum Official Decrees
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 03-30-2009, 07:25 AM
  2. Hello - First Post
    By Sartorial in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-27-2007, 12:16 AM
  3. Hello all you out there
    By mkobrien76 in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-26-2007, 11:02 PM
  4. Hello, I'm Fortunato
    By Totenkindly in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-25-2007, 11:47 AM
  5. Hello again
    By MacGuffin in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-23-2007, 03:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO