User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I can help you with cases if you like,
    I'm torn.

On the one hand, I've already got a lot of help. I've got books, I've got my husband (who speaks 5 languages), and I've got foreigners who learned Slovene and who would be happy to help me. And quite honestly, I think I understand the *concept* of cases well enough. So it seems to me that all that's left is to just get down to it, and *memorise* them, dammit!!

On the other hand... Well, I'm an INFJ. Which means that quite often, "third time's the charm" for me. What seemed complicated and depressing before suddenly becomes clear and obvious, just through the magic of yet another explanation. So it is ALWAYS tempting for me to accept yet another explanation of something I don't completely understand, because you never know, you know?

you can still see lots of traces of the old Latin cases in French
    Really?? Give me an example !

I've been in the UK since my parents sent me here to a boarding school when I was almost 9.
    This, my friend, is an explanation that doesn't explain anything Or if you prefer: *why* did they send you to a boarding school in the UK?? Are they British themselves or something?

(And, 9 !? Man, I miss my son just thinking of it )

MBTI
    ENTP

We all moved over to England because of my dad's new job, and I went to a boarding school because I had a relative who taught there who obtained a scholarship for me (I was already classed as gifted), and also because it got me out of their way, which suited everyone, me most of all!

And about missing your son... I've just been talking on my blog about that kind of thing :/

Example of French... um, let's see, anything ending in 'ier' comes from the Latin genitive plural, like chandelier from candelorum. Have you ever looked at Ancien Francais?
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    We all moved over to England because of my dad's new job, and I went to a boarding school because I had a relative who taught there who obtained a scholarship for me (I was already classed as gifted), and also because it got me out of their way, which suited everyone, me most of all!
    Well, I guess it was OK then, if everyone was happy with it

And about missing your son... I've just been talking on my blog about that kind of thing :/
    I know, I've read your latest entries. I didn't comment, among other reasons because it hits a bit too close to home for my comfort...

Example of French... um, let's see, anything ending in 'ier' comes from the Latin genitive plural, like chandelier from candelorum.
    Are you kidding!? Wow, I definitely never knew that !

Have you ever looked at Ancien Francais?
    Only when I *had* to Like French classes, back in lycee. And that was some time ago already :rolli: Interestingly enough, my husband was looking at a poem in Ancien Francais just yesterday, because of a poet friend who was doing something with it. My husband asked for my help at one time, and I soon got brain knots

Talking

*just now notices you*

Welcome!

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    .. brain knots
    I get brain knots, too!

Also earlier when you said you need some things explained 3 times before you get it - or something like that - I'm that way, too! Especially if it's complex.

I'm really jealous of INTJs and INFJs who fit the profile of "easily grasp complex concepts" because if it has more than 3 steps, you've LOST me!

MBTI
    INFJ

JAVO: Better late than never

And thank you !

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Also earlier when you said you need some things explained 3 times before you get it - or something like that - I'm that way, too! Especially if it's complex.

I'm really jealous of INTJs and INFJs who fit the profile of "easily grasp complex concepts" because if it has more than 3 steps, you've LOST me!
    What kind of INTJ are you if you can't follow a list of steps ?

But anyway: the trick is actually to NOT try too much. Let Ni do the work. Unfortunately, Ni is uncontrollable: it figures things out on its own schedule. And you never know what's going to trigger one of its trademark "Aha!" moments. Frustrating...

MBTI
    istp

welcome, may you find everything you're looking for.

MBTI
    INFJ

Thanks Grayscale !

MBTI
    INFJ

Grayscale! I just found out! Are you using me to up your number of posts !?