User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: new INTx here

MBTI
    INTP

Talking new INTx here

HELLO EVERYONE. I've been lurking the forum for awhile and decided I'd start off by posting in the welcoming section.

I'm an INTx. Given that INTJ and INTP have completely different functions, it should be pretty easy to discern which one describes me more accurately, right?

Well, so far it's been pretty difficult. I originally took the MBTI test (this one, specifically: Personality test based on Jung - Myers-Briggs typology) a couple years ago and tested INTJ. I looked at a few pages describing INTJs, was impressed with their accuracy, and didn't spend much more time looking into it.

I've taken the test a few times since then, and nearly every time I'd get INTJ. Recently I tested again and got INTP, so I started looking into the descriptions of the functions to try and determine which one I really was. I'm actually leaning more towards INTP now, but I feel like I exhibit a fair amount of INTP and INTJ traits.

INTP traits:
    - very Ne. I find myself constantly trying to make connections between like things, and looking for deeper meanings/symbolism in things. This also seems evident in my conversations with people - I can continually go off on tangents, eventually relating back to the original topic at hand. If I'm talking to a xxxP friend, we can continue the conversation endlessly, finding new vaguely-related subjects to talk about. This contrasts with me talking to my xxxJ friends, who, unless we're seriously engaged in one topic, the conversation doesn't tend to venture anywhere beyond the initial "hey, what's up." Also, they'll usually cut the conversation short because they have to go do something or work on something, where I tend to put off "real life" when I'm talking to people that I enjoy talking to/am having a really entertaining conversation.
    - absolutely horrible with deadlines and arriving at appointments on time. I find myself continually late to class, constantly turning in homework late, etc.

INTJ traits:
    - very concerned with practicality and efficiency. I don't like working on things that I can't see any practical use for. For example, I'm interested in MBTI because I want to make sense of other people's actions/learning styles. I think it would be really useful in certain circumstances, like knowing whether to appeal to someone's feeling side or logic side in an attempt to persuade them of something (just an example). The destination is more important than the journey to me. As for efficiency, I find myself thinking about ways things/systems could be made more efficient, but if I were to describe my actual ACTIONS, I don't think I would call them efficient. It usually takes a moment to think of how best to expedite my actions before I go through with it - efficiency isn't automatic for me but I consider myself highly capable of efficiency (or at least coming to efficient solutions inside my head).
    - I have little respect for subjective conclusions (that's Te, right?). For example, I hate sports like gymnastics, figure skating - any kind of sport that depends on a judge's subjective rating. They're neat to watch, but it really bothers me that there's not any universally agreeable standard by which to measure black and white success/failure in their sport (aside from a lack of mess-ups). I don't find Olympic swimming particularly entertaining to watch (unless Michael Phelps is dominating everyone) but I have enormous respect for its accuracy in determining a clear winner (the walls have sensors that can determine, in hundredths of a second, who touched the wall first).

Oh, and American Idol drives me absolutely mad. The auditions are great, but after that, the show quickly becomes a pretentious borefest. Why the hell are we supposed to acknowledge Simon Cowell's opinion when he has zero accomplishments in the musical world? Randy Jackson was the BASSIST for Journey (I understand he's dabbled in a bit of singing since then, but still). Paula Abdul is the only one with any degree of recognized singing talent, and she's certifiably insane. Can someone remind me again why they're judges?

[Please keep in mind that I'm fairly new to typology and my above statements regarding functions and classifying things as INTP or INTJ might be a bit off. I look forward to being corrected and understanding these things more clearly.]

I have more examples but I'm getting tired of typing, and I doubt very many people are going to pay attention to this thread because it's in the Welcome forum. I'll probably copy+paste into a new thread in the "What's My Type?" forum eventually, adding more examples, but I'm done for now.

That being said, I'd definitely appreciate any feedback you have regarding what my type may be, based on the (admittedly limited) information I've provided. It's good to be here and I look forward to interacting with you folks.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Hi Welcome, glad to have you on board. You'll get yourself sorted out soon enough. For now...dive in and enjoy your stay!
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

Phantonym

Hello and welcome!

Senior Member tastes_like_purple's Avatar
    MBTI
    XXXX
    Enneagram

Hey
    Welcome!
    A falling star fell from your heart and landed in my eyes,
    I screamed aloud, as it tore through them,
    and now it's left me blind...

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Ohh...a new toy...

Welcome
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Ohh...a new toy...

Welcome
    Be wary of this one Super... lest you become one of her thralls.
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se

Choose a side and grab a weapon, it's going to be a long battle new comer

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I pick J for you.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kra View Post
    Be wary of this one Super... lest you become one of her thralls.
    Hah, thanks for the heads up. Great to see another Crooked Vultures fan here. Are you into Queens of the Stone Age/Kyuss/Eagles of Death Metal as well?