User Tag List

First 12

Thread: salutations!

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Hey there helen! Welcome, enjoy your stay.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    Infx

Ho man you too?! I tell ya it was an amazing thing to find out about MBTI and realize that I've been an NJ surrounded by mostly SPs. I was right at the brink of really believing I was crazy. Isn't it a great sigh of relief to find you're just a different type? Tell me, what are your ways of living with it rather than fighting it, even with all the external influences working against you?
    Forming characters! Whose? Our own or others? Both. And in that momentous fact lies the peril and responsibility of our existence. - Elihu Burritt

Member of the Maverick's Biker Club - Now crashing through walls instead of just..walking into them.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Hello, and welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by wolfmaiden14 View Post
    Ho man you too?! I tell ya it was an amazing thing to find out about MBTI and realize that I've been an NJ surrounded by mostly SPs. I was right at the brink of really believing I was crazy. Isn't it a great sigh of relief to find you're just a different type? Tell me, what are your ways of living with it rather than fighting it, even with all the external influences working against you?
    lol, hi!

Yes, it was a great relief! Well, one of the things that used to bother me a lot was that things that seemed so obviously of value, interest, and importance to me seemed to matter so little to the people around me. I guess I finally realized (or am working on realizing, lol) that others are motivated by different things, and they aren't automatically going to understand where I'm coming from, if I don't take pains to explain it in their language. Sometimes they might not understand even then, and it's best just not to even try to explain but let them do their own thing and be confident doing my own thing. Like I'm not crazy and neither are they, we're just different. (Okay, I know that sounded really shallow and corny, but realizing it was quite a break through for me!)

So, what are some of your coping strategies?

MBTI
    INFP

Default I use to keep saying, "I'm a smart girl; what the heck is going on?"

I can identify with you here! It's amazing how each personality type sees the same thing differently (or has different reactions to situations). I WISH I knew about MBTI years ago... I wouldn't have been so hard on myself and thinking that there really must be something wrong with me.

Oh, welcome, Helen!
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters

MBTI
    Infx

Quote Originally Posted by helen View Post

So, what are some of your coping strategies?
    I'm sorry to sound dumb, but.. coping with what exactly? Life or my friends? XD
    Forming characters! Whose? Our own or others? Both. And in that momentous fact lies the peril and responsibility of our existence. - Elihu Burritt

Member of the Maverick's Biker Club - Now crashing through walls instead of just..walking into them.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by helen View Post
    Hi there,
    I discovered this website a few weeks ago and have spent several happy hours since then reading. It's a really fun and informative forum y'all have here! Then I finally got tired of just lurking and have decided to introduce myself.

I'm an INFJ and I've spent most of my life surrounded by SJs and a fair amount of it wondering why I wasn't more like them, and when I would "grow up" and become one. Discovering the MBTI system a year or so ago was exciting for me, because I finally figured out that wasn't going to happen, and have been a lot more tolerant of myself and hopefully others since. I find that understanding the way I function and working with it rather than fighting it makes for a much more peaceful existence.

For awhile, much of my reading on personality types was focused on figuring out my own type and learning about it, but currently I'm more interested in learning more about relationships and interaction between the types. This seems like a good place to explore those topics.

ttyl,
    Helen
    Hello, Helen. (Your name looks interesting next to the word "hello.") Welcome to MBTI Central. Feel free to ask any questions you may have about MBTI or general psychology.

When you say "grow up," what weren't you doing that they were, exactly?

Oh, and how had you been trying to fight it, and what did you change after learning about your type?

MBTI
    INFJ

Hello and welcome! I had the same experience that you did with the MBTI--intense relief and joy. If you are interested in the dynamics of type in relationships, there are several books on the topic, such as the Barron & Tieger "Just Your Type."

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post

When you say "grow up," what weren't you doing that they were, exactly?

Oh, and how had you been trying to fight it, and what did you change after learning about your type?
    Hi!

Well, it's hard to explain exactly. I don't know that it's so much a matter of not doing things that they were, more a matter of approaching things differently. For instance, I've always tended to take my feelings and intuitions a bit more seriously than others around me seem to take theirs. I'm prone to introspection, and analyzing others and myself. Too much social interaction drains me and I need long stretches of time by myself if I'm going to be at my best.

I used to think that this was partially immaturity and selfishness, and sometimes I'd fight it by trying not to give in to these tendencies so much. . . but that just made me more stressed. After learning about my type, I figured this was just the way I function and it's more efficient to work with it than against it. I enjoy life and myself more and am less critical of myself and others.

I'm not trying to imply that I was miserable or a basket case before discovering MBTI, but it has been kinda useful (and fun!). Hope this answers your questions. :-) Let me know if I'm not making sense, lol.

MBTI
    INFJ

I'm sorry to sound dumb, but.. coping with what exactly? Life or my friends? XD

I suppose I meant your friends. But feel free to ramble about whatever. I was mostly just making conversation.