User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Thread: Play with lint

MBTI
    isxp

DaRick, thank you for your time and effort in trying to help figure out a type for me. This entry use to include some of my answers to your questions, but I decided that it was unnecessary to share with everyone. The MBTI system is fascinating to me, and it has helped me to better understand myself and my friendships/relationships. I definitely see patterns IRL described by the MBTI when people are extremely a certain type. However, since I am borderline with most functions... I have decided that I don't need to pick out just one type to identify as. Again, thank you.
    Last edited by pocket lint; 11-13-2007 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Deleted original responses to DaRick

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by pocket lint View Post
    Actually, I consider myself to be very direct when using written and spoken language. I try to use the least amount of words to convey a thought. Sometimes I can
    If you don't finish up and type the whole message sometime soon I'm getting out my lint roller!

MBTI
    isxp

Quote Originally Posted by DaRick
    Welcome. I myself am torn between ISTJ, ISFJ, INFJ and INTJ. I've gone from ISTJ to INTJ after a recent re-test.[/B][
    I see that you are new here as well, welcome! I feel like a walking contradiction, also.

Maybe this will make you less torn:

Study of scoring consistency
    Split-half reliability of the MBTI scales is good, although test-retest reliability is sensitive to the time between tests. But this variation is better than with most other personality tools, which show a similar variation over time. However, because the MBTI dichotomies scores in the middle of the distribution, type allocations are less reliable. Within each scale, as measured on Form G, about 83% of categorizations remain the same when retested within nine months, and around 75% when retested after nine months. About 50% of people tested within nine months remain the same overall type and 36% remain the same after nine months. [11]

Validity
    The scientific basis of the MBTI has been questioned. Neither Katharine Cook Briggs nor Isabel Briggs Myers had any scientific qualifications in the field of psychometric testing. Furthermore, Carl Jung's theory of psychological type, which the MBTI attempts to operationalise, is not based on any scientific studies. Jung's methods primarily included introspection and anecdote, methods largely rejected by the modern field of cognitive psychology. [12]
    The statistical validity of the MBTI as a psychometric instrument has also been subject to criticism, in particular, the dichotomous scoring of dimensions. For example, it was expected that scores would show a bimodal distribution with peaks near the ends of the scales. However, scores on the individual subscales are actually distributed in a centrally peaked manner similar to a normal distribution. A cut-off exists at the centre of the subscale such that a score on one side is classified as one type, and a score on the other side as the opposite type. This fails to support the concept of type--the norm is for people to lie near the middle of the subscale. [4][5][13][14][15]
    It has been estimated that between a third and a half of the published material on the MBTI has been produced for conferences of the Center for the Application of Psychological Type (which provides training in the MBTI) or as papers in the Journal of Psychological Type (which is edited by Myers-Briggs advocates) [16] and it has been argued that this reflects a lack of critical scrutiny. [13][16] Estimations on the research related to the most utilized tool published in fifty years (e.g. 40 million administrations) is affected by the popularity of the instrument.

Reliability
    The reliability of the test has been interpreted as being low, with test takers who retake the test often being assigned a different type. According to surveys performed by the proponents of Myers-Briggs, the highest percentage of people who fell into the same category on the second test is only 47%. Furthermore, a wide range of 39% - 76% of those tested fall into different types upon retesting weeks or years later, and many people's types were also found to vary according to the time of the day.[13][15] Skeptics claim that the MBTI lacks falsifiability, which can cause confirmation bias in the interpretation of results. Allegedly, the terminology of the MBTI is so vague that it allows any kind of behavior to fit any personality type, resulting in the Forer effect, where an individual gives a high rating to a positive description that supposedly applies specifically to them [13][12]. As a result, when people are asked to compare their preferred type to that assigned by the MBTI, only half of people pick the same profile. [17]
    However, while the Forer effect (which may apply to horoscopes)[13] is said to apply to "vague and general personality descriptions" [18], the descriptions offered for the Myers-Briggs types are often detailed and specific. For example, David Keirsey[19] examined how the four temperaments differ in terms of language use, intellectual orientation, educational and vocational interests, social orientation, self image, personal values, social roles, and even characteristic hand gestures. Keirsey went on to describe the hierarchy of intellectual roles played by each of the four types within each temperament, resulting in sixteen unique descriptions which, unlike the Forer effect, rely not on the universal traits that make human beings the same, but on the specific traits that make human beings different from one another.

I was too lazy to check the direct sources of where most of this info was from, but it is cited at the bottom of the MBTI wikipedia page.

MBTI
    isxp

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    If you don't finish up and type the whole message sometime soon I'm getting out my lint roller!
    but... but!...... Why are you guys bullying me? What did I ever do?

MBTI
    isxp

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    It's ok, my best material always happens when I'm a little boozed up; the rest seems to be angry outbursts or me being excessively excited.

I just wanted to use those emoticons, LOL.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

but... but!...... Why are you guys bullying me? What did I ever do?
    sorry! the smiley face meant that it was in a joking tone!

MBTI
    isxp

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    sorry! the smiley face meant that it was in a joking tone!
    I was trying to play along. It's okay, everything is just dandy!

MBTI
    isxp

Hmmm..... I hope it's not bad that this is almost turning into a chat thread...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Hmmm..... I hope it's not bad that this is almost turning into a chat thread...
    I say as long as the mods and madmins don't say anything you're clear.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    I say as long as the mods and madmins don't say anything you're clear.
    (and this is coming to you from someone who tends to end up in chat threads! )