Thread: Play with lint

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Very true! A posse of 8 racoons made off with our nacho chips when our back was turned on the last family camping trip. :eek: Good thing for them that they forgot the hot salsa!
    Raccoons have no respect for the sanctity of family outings.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Raccoons have no respect for the sanctity of family outings.
    And they carry rabies!

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    And they carry rabies!
    See! No good reason for raccoons! Hermetically seal 'em up in a Winnebago and shoot 'em into space! :steam:

lol I kid. *smiles nervously at angry raccoons*
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    now now, there comes a time in every man's life when he must cast aside his youth and relinquish his pocket lint for the greater good!
    the greater good can lick my.... yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    don't cats like to play with lint?
    *sniffs at some lint*

*gets some lint in his nose*

*snorts then bats at the lint*
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    isxp

LOL@ PinkPiranha, runvardh, and whatever I didn't expect there to be this much talk about lint!

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO;
    LOL... I guess navel lint would work too, so don't forget to collect that from everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO;
    I keep a 35mm film canister full of the finest vintage our dryer produces in my backpack.

*opens lid, takes a wiff, proclaims, "mmm... terry cloth, fabric softened, 2007*

MBTI
    isxp

Default It's an old article, but I just had to post it!

Pocket Deposits May Soon Prove Valuable
    Column by Anders Hove
    Opinion Editor

"They might as well close the patent office; now everything has been invented." So said my grandmother when the neighbors purchased the town's first self-starting automobile. That was back in the 1930s.

I'm inclined to agree. Aside from the Dobsonian telescope mount, I can't think of a single thing worth having invented after 1930. I'm convinced that the real advances in productivity since the Great Depression have taken place not because of technological change, but due to more efficient use and allocation of known technologies and resources.

Leave it to a graduate student to prove my point. David Dotson, a master's degree candidate at New Mexico State University at Las Cruces, has this year discovered that a heretofore disused national resource has enormous potential as an agricultural fertilizer. The material in question is a fibrous fleece derived from the abrasion of linen and other fabrics.

In other words, lint.

The human race has been struggling with lint for years. It collects in the most ridiculous places. Lint collects on bodies, under beds, in sock drawers, on the carpet, and in the drain. Our keys are forever getting mired in fluff-filled pockets. Some people with Pocket Lint Syndrome appear to have a socially-unacceptable chronic itching problem. For this reason and others, most people deem lint a nuisance.

Some people have more of a lint problem of others. International Garment Processors (IGP), a company that stonewashes jeans, throws away 70 cubic yards of lint every week. And that's just a small part of America's daily lint production. Imagine how much cotton is going to waste every year due to lint disposal? Wouldn't it be better for the world if that matter could be used for something?

Now it appears it can. And mind you, lint is no ordinary fertilizer. In his experiments, graduate student Dotson spread lint over ground that would otherwise be sterile, and in some cases even toxic. The result was an astounding increase in grass growth.

Scientists and industrialists see this as evidence that industrial lint waste will now be put to good use aiding reclamation efforts. But imagine what will happen when lint recycling reaches the environmental home front. Suddenly, each morning, many will be confronted with a nagging question: You're not planning on throwing that belly-button lint away, are you?

And picture the lawns and gardens in your neighborhood spruced up with a nice layer of lint. Stonewash for vegetables, dryer lint for shrubs, shower-drain scum for general grass growing.

Some of us will undoubtedly recognize our own erstwhile fleece deposits. People will be seen scrutinizing their yards, looking for evidence that Levis decay faster than Wranglers, or proof that someone is overwashing their favorite L.L. Bean shirt.

Among households dominated by polyester and rayon, lint supplies will run low. Children will be sent running to neighbors' houses: "My mother asks, could you possibly spare a couple pounds of lint?" More charitable sorts may drop off excess lint at the local Salvation Army.

As you can see, we are about to enter a brave new world of futuristic living. All thanks to lint, a substance most of us have known about for years. It just goes to show that the best things in life aren't invented or earned, they just collect in your undergarments.

MBTI
    Infx

Quote Originally Posted by pocket lint View Post

(...)As you can see, we are about to enter a brave new world of futuristic living. All thanks to lint, a substance most of us have known about for years. It just goes to show that the best things in life aren't invented or earned, they just collect in your undergarments.
    That's actually pretty neat. I just see people growing potted plants with all lint and little to no soil.. hehe..
    Forming characters! Whose? Our own or others? Both. And in that momentous fact lies the peril and responsibility of our existence. - Elihu Burritt

Member of the Maverick's Biker Club - Now crashing through walls instead of just..walking into them.

MBTI
    isxp

I just noticed that there were three ISTPs viewing my thread a couple of minutes ago, and all at once! Hmmmmmm....

I'd like you to explain just how you got a photo of my keyboard?

MBTI
    isxp

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    I'd like you to explain just how you got a photo of my keyboard?
    Well, I am Lint. I am everywhere, whether you like it or not.