User Tag List

Thread: greetings

MBTI
    INTJ

Default greetings

Well, having recently remembered and intrigued by an MBTI test I took 7 years ago, I've took it upon myself to start soaking knowledge about types. I doubt I'll do much posting here, but I am enjoying reading the back catalog of posts you guys've done.

Anyway, a bit about me, so on the off-chance I do stick around and become a regular. I guess I should start with being an INTJ. Anyhow, Last june I graduated from the University of Manitoba with a BSc(hons) in Pure Math (a bit of INTP tendency towards enjoying purely theoretical constructs). This year Im doing work in the music field, teaching guitar and bass and doing freelance transcription/arrangement for some extra money. Recently I got accepted to gradschool (same place as my undergrad), So next September I'll be doing my masters in either Algebraic Geometry or Mathematical Music Theory.

As for general hobbies and interests (beyond the obvious bit on music and math) I enjoy history (my minor was Byzantine history), drawing and craft beers (ie, being a beer snob! come to think of it, I just like being a snob in general!)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w
    Socionics
    EII

Hi Eicr

I take it you love electric guitars then...that's +1 for you in my book !

Now that you mention math & music: my favorite band, Tool, is often refered to as a math-metal band, whatever that's suposed to be. You don't happen to know them by any chance ? if not, what bands do you like ?

MBTI
    INTJ

of course ive heard of tool. Im not a huge fan though, as someone who actually has a background in math, their attempts at being mathematicians make my eyes roll (im SO sick of people using the Fibonacci numbers, it pops up enough by accident, we dont need people intentionally using it). What they fail to realize is that the most complex mathematics in music happens to merely be the general principles like music scales and harmony. The Tool songs I like, tend to be the catchiery ones. You see the problem when people consciously try to mix math and music is that that they rarely do justice to both ideas. Either the math is pedestrian and lame, as in the case with tool, or the music ends up sucking as is the case with some band that tried to write a song based on Zorns lemma. I figure, just try to write a good song, more often than not it will be mathematically interesting. All this isnt to say I dont like complicated music, quite contrary in fact, its my favourite kind. I just like complicated music thats complicated from a musical standpoint.

However, if you like some of the more interesting rhythmic ideas of Tool, check out Meshuggah (if you dont mind death metal vocals). All their songs are in 4/4 time and the drummer is always following a straight 8's patter on his right hand, but everything else in the band follows the most counter-rhythmic patter, and as a result they get a really cool effect. Also, Pain of Salvation is totally boss, one of the most sincere and emotionally charged prog bands Ive ever heard (not tasteless wankery like in the more recent Dream Theater efforts) as well as being one of the most complicated. Its interesting to see a prog band be just as complicated as is usual for the genre without sacrificing artistic integrity or musical theme and message behind it.

But if you want to find music that is truely mathematically deep, look no further than Bach's Art of Fugue. I dont like using absolutes and saying that its the most mathematically sophisticated music ever written, but I havent found anything to top it. Bach was actually using the concepts behind permutation matricies to write the fugues about 100 years before anyone knew what a permutation matrix was.

and THAT ladies and gentlemen, was what i meant by being a snob!
    Last edited by Eicr; 10-27-2007 at 02:48 PM. Reason: adding

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Eicr View Post
    and THAT ladies and gentlemen, was what i meant by being a snob!
    no s#*t ?!

A friend of mine recommended meshuggah a while ago. but except for some songs I've yet to give it a good listen.
    I like it so far. Pretty intense.

I doubt Tool deliberately tries to make mathematical music. The fibonaci sequence is just a vocal riff. I think that's a kick ass song too btw (lateralus).
    I'm listening to Art of Fugue right now. My father likes Bach a lot. I know little of classical music. It's "Art of Fugue : contrapunctus 1"-something, in case the snob in you wants to know !

cheers

MBTI
    yupp

welcome

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Eicr View Post
    Well, having recently remembered and intrigued by an MBTI test I took 7 years ago, I've took it upon myself to start soaking knowledge about types. I doubt I'll do much posting here, but I am enjoying reading the back catalog of posts you guys've done.

Anyway, a bit about me, so on the off-chance I do stick around and become a regular. I guess I should start with being an INTJ. Anyhow, Last june I graduated from the University of Manitoba with a BSc(hons) in Pure Math (a bit of INTP tendency towards enjoying purely theoretical constructs). This year Im doing work in the music field, teaching guitar and bass and doing freelance transcription/arrangement for some extra money. Recently I got accepted to gradschool (same place as my undergrad), So next September I'll be doing my masters in either Algebraic Geometry or Mathematical Music Theory.

As for general hobbies and interests (beyond the obvious bit on music and math) I enjoy history (my minor was Byzantine history), drawing and craft beers (ie, being a beer snob! come to think of it, I just like being a snob in general!)
    Hello, Eicr. Welcome to MBTI Central. Feel free to ask any questions you may have about MBTI theory or general psychology.

What was it like at your University?

What was the most interesting thing you learned about Byzantine history. (Wasn't that city's name changed to Constantinople before the end of the Roman Empire?) Were these the "Byzantines" that considered themselves to be the Eastern Roman empire until the Turks defeated them in 1453?

MBTI
    INTJ

University was fairly different than High School for me. I coasted through High School and still got honour roll by an easy margin. I tried to the same thing in University (in a rigorous mathematics program at that!). In my last two years I learned to pull up my socks and actually work, so I brought my GPA up to a level which got me into grad school. I still procrastinate like a sonofabitch though.

As for the actual program (if you're wondering like what our math program was like), our university heavily favoured topology, which is not my strongest suit, so that was difficult, having to wade through all those courses. We're also somewhat weak in an undergraduate Algebra program (inspite of having BOTH of the Guptas and the worlds authority on Lattice theory). We do ok in the discrete math section, which I excelled at. The fields of choice for me (Algebraic Geometry, Finite Geometry) I mostly got my background by having discussions with the UofM's one Geometrist, who is going to be my supervisor next year. The most frustrating thing about our program though, is that its increadibly difficult, comparitively, specifically the Analysis courses. We've grad students have to drop out from a third year undergraduate analysis course. And its pretty common knowledge that if you want to do any graduate work, you need some background in functional analysis, its just too bad our program really makes the required analysis courses painful. However, now that I'm done those courses, Im actually kind of happy for it. Im pretty sure I know more analysis than the average person with a math BSc.

Yeah, Byzantium was changed to Constantinople by Constantine when he moved his capitol there, and the empire it headed was known as the Eastern Roman Empire, and its denizens (even up to its fall in 1453) still called themselves romans, despite speaking Greek. However, to the modern historical community, its known as the Byzantine Empire