User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISFP

Default Hello from an ISFP or an INFP!

Hello!
    This is the first forum I have ever participated in, so have patience with me. I have not taken an official MBTI exam, but I have taken a few online knock-offs. The result is that I am either a ISFP or an INFP with a 5-10% varience in the Sensing/Intuitive category. Is it possible to be both? I have read many descriptions of either type and I follow examples from both types (a little bit of each.) Anyway, It is nice to find a gathering who has at least heard of MBTI so, hello everyone!
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    - Abraham Lincoln -

"I am rather inclined to silence, and whether that be wise or not, it is at least more unusual nowadays to find a man who can hold his tongue than to find one who cannot."
    - Abraham Lincoln -

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Welcome!

I wouldn't think that it's too unusual for an IxFP to be confused about S/N. INFP and ISFP have a lot in common. Perhaps in reading the various threads through this forums something will click with you and you'll identify with one type more than the other.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

hello and welcome. I am quite close to the S-N border - and usually test as an N - so you're not alone! I find the tests N-biased, but if you identify equally well with both descriptions, maybe you're just very well balanced on that axis.

hope you enjoy it here.

MBTI
    ENTP

From the title? S. Just a hunch though, ignore if you will.

Welcome aboard anyway. I hope you do turn out to be an S (even though my love for INFP's is now well known), cos we don't get enough of those round here
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by jsarah View Post
    Hello!
    This is the first forum I have ever participated in, so have patience with me. I have not taken an official MBTI exam, but I have taken a few online knock-offs. The result is that I am either a ISFP or an INFP with a 5-10% varience in the Sensing/Intuitive category. Is it possible to be both? I have read many descriptions of either type and I follow examples from both types (a little bit of each.) Anyway, It is nice to find a gathering who has at least heard of MBTI so, hello everyone!
    Hello, jsarah. Welcome to MBTI Central. Feel free to ask any questions you may have about MBTI or general psychology.

I tend to be very close on the T/F dimensions myself. You can call yourself an IxFP if you're not sure, because some people have a weak or nonexistent preference, and that's acceptable. Most people do have a preference, even if it's hard to see, so if you have an idea which it is, choose that one.

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

Hi and welcome.

I used to score pretty close in the S-N scale; I think for several reasons. I was raised among S's so it may have rubbed off or maybe being the type who likes to please I adopted it to fit in. (Or avoid being punished.) Another reason it may be hard to tease out your preference is because in these 2 types, the S and N are in the auxiliary and tertiary positions which, if I remember correctly from the type manual, are easier to switch between.

What helped me decipher my true preference on this scale was self-observation over time. What I started to notice is:

- I'm not a hands-on person. From what I've seen (esp. in type-based career books), ISFPs are more drawn to practical assistance work than INFPs. They literally enjoy getting their hands into whatever it is they are doing - art, nurse, physical therapist, dental, crafts, culinary, aesthetician, etc. I've never wanted to get that close to a person on a professional level. Even when I was considering pursuing alternative therapies, it was energy or Reiki healing.

- Another distinction I've noticed is that ISFPs are more likely to show their love and concern through deeds, esp. food and crafts. I don't enjoy making either and am more inclined to write a heartfelt note or better yet a haiku, or something similar.

- The other thing to observe is - how do you relate (in a real-world sense preferably) to ISFPs vs. INFPs? I usually get along with ISFPs, but can sometimes find myself becoming impatient with ISFPs, especially when they take me literally.

With INFPs, we may or may not get along (depending on the compatibility of our values), and we may not say much to each other, but when we do converse there is often - and this is hard to describe - almost an unspoken code exchanged, where an entire paragraph's worth of thought might be exchanged with a couple key words. Or one person will make an obscure reference and the other one will get it without comment and continue with another obscure reference and both can go on like this on a private tangential journey of their own.

It's the kind of thing where - you had to be there to get it. The other thing is; these kinds of exchanges can take place in passing, very briefly. There is often a playful element to it - like an extended friendly game of mental badminton... nothing too taxing. And then hours later I can run into the other INFP and exchange another left-field comment and it'll be like we picked up right where we left off. It's kinda cool, now that I analyze it like this. It doesn't happen with many people, so when it does it's something to be cherished.

Anyway, that's my advice on verifying your preference.

Have fun here; it's a good bunch.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by jsarah View Post
    Hello!
    If you live in a fantasy world, you might be an INFP.

Welcome to the forum.

MBTI
    ENTP

See, you've only just got here and you've inspired a thread already. That's got to be a good thing.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    yupp

Hey welcome.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Hi there! Welcome aboard.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~