User Tag List

MBTI
    ENFP

Default Rusty and dipping toe back in...hi.

Hi - After blowing the dust off my old MBTI stuff to show a friend who's just been 'done' by a careers advisor and not sure of his type...thought I'd better check out the Internet and came across MBTI central.

In the 80s + 90s, went to lots of courses in UK and was registered as qualified to test folk. I seem to have had mainly introverted friends - find them so much more restful than the extroverts like me!

Spent some time in 2 different communities/vocational colleges in USA and UK and didn't feel happy with the way we were all using MBTI to type each other and put each other in boxes. On the other hand, I have found the MBTI insights very helpful in my work and personal life.

I always score 0 on sensing and high on perceiving. I feel I am a redeemed extravert and consciously suppress my natural desire in groups to open my mouth first. Folk are surprised when I tell them that for most of my adult life I have been on silent retreats regularly to recharge my batteries from a demanding job working with people.

I am in a bit of difficult personal situation in that I have to avoid folk wearing perfumed products, which make me ill. This means, now I am retired, that my opportunities for renewal through activities etc with people are very limited. I seem to be operating in all my inferior areas and not very well at that! The 2 people who try to be perfume free for me are both introverts, one ISTJ and the other INFP (I think).

I seem to remember reading somewhere about ENFPs in latter half of life derailing/unravelling a bit if, like me, they lose their vision...anyway, enough of that. Anyone who wants to know what happens to ENFP under enforced isolation, contact me...

My friend is coming round next week to talk MBTI but I am aware that I am very out of date. He is on anti-psychotic meds which keep him well but have severe side effects. Somewhere in the back of mind is a warning bell: should he even be doing psychometric tests? Any advice welcome.

Am enjoying reading the site. Liz

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Hi, and welcome! There are certain perfumes which cause an alergic reaction in me as well, but I think it is a much milder form of what you are experiencing.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENFP

Many thanks for the welcome LL. There's a lot on the web about perfume sensitivity/allergy. For me it triggers migraines and causes ENT (Ear nose throat not extraverted intuitive...lol) probs. I have a website but haven't been well enough to develop it further at present:

Campaign for Perfume Free Air

Am off now to explore further on the site. Bye for now. Liz

MBTI
    INFP

Default I'm glad you were able to retire!

Howdy howdy!

A friend of mine at work also has severe allergic reactions to anything that has perfume, which includes laundry detergent and other soaps. I always feel for her because the only way she can really work now is that she has found refuge in an old converted closet with her door closed. Take good care!
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters

MBTI
    ENFP

Hi Sandy - please pass my sympathy to your friend. Our only consolation is that through the environmental lobby and various health orgs, this issue is getting wider publicity. Liz

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    Hi - After blowing the dust off my old MBTI stuff to show a friend who's just been 'done' by a careers advisor and not sure of his type...thought I'd better check out the Internet and came across MBTI central.
    Hello, Liz. Welcome to MBTI Central. Feel free to ask any questions you may have about MBTI or general psychology.
    In the 80s + 90s, went to lots of courses in UK and was registered as qualified to test folk. I seem to have had mainly introverted friends - find them so much more restful than the extroverts like me!
    A qualified tester? That will be interesting. Maybe you can help TenebreousReflection...

I am in a bit of difficult personal situation in that I have to avoid folk wearing perfumed products, which make me ill. This means, now I am retired, that my opportunities for renewal through activities etc with people are very limited. I seem to be operating in all my inferior areas and not very well at that! The 2 people who try to be perfume free for me are both introverts, one ISTJ and the other INFP (I think).
    Sorry to hear that. I hope you find an opportunity to deal with people soon. That can't be easy for an extrovert.

I seem to remember reading somewhere about ENFPs in latter half of life derailing/unravelling a bit if, like me, they lose their vision...anyway, enough of that. Anyone who wants to know what happens to ENFP under enforced isolation, contact me...
    Ouch. How bad is it? Do I want to know?
    My friend is coming round next week to talk MBTI but I am aware that I am very out of date. He is on anti-psychotic meds which keep him well but have severe side effects. Somewhere in the back of mind is a warning bell: should he even be doing psychometric tests? Any advice welcome.

Am enjoying reading the site. Liz
    Well, we'll try to let you know if there's anything glaringly obvious you're missing, but most of us aren't professionally trained to understand this or anything.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Hi Liz Glad you've decided to dip your toe back in, the water's warm here. Welcome and enjoy yourself.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    ENFP

Thank you Athenian and AASoul for the warm welcome - love your signatures.

From looking at the board, something tells me I might be in the minority as a 60 yr old...whose brainbox is definitely not working like it used to. So please bear with me...and don't mock the afflicted (lol)!

Also I think most of you are based in USA?? Please allow for cultural differences. When I lived near Philadelphia for 3 months in 1988, on a sabbatical, I became acutely aware of those differences. They led to some often amusing misunderstandings!

Help me, Athenian, with TenebrousReflection...erm...what/who is it?

I am qualified (nearly didn't with the statistics bit of the exam...but after a post-exam essay, managed it). Please don't expect too much...I am very rusty. I don't know whether you have this in USA certainly here in Europe - the Human Givens counselling 'approach'? Find this very helpful.

Athenian - yes it is difficult for me as an extravert to have this problem with perfume. Having experience in setting up self-help groups, I of course tried this to start with but no go...I have contacts via my website. I find this particular freedom lover needs structure and lists to stop me procrastinating about all the things I have to do. I then unravel for a few days (not a pretty sight!) and start all over again...

I'm off the hook with my friend - he has decided to put MBTI on the back burner for now, which I think is very wise.

See you on the boards...when I get my courage up. Liz

MBTI
    INTJ

Hi Liz and welcome

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    ENFP

Hi Natrushka - thanks for the welcome. Liz