User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default Recently-discovered INFJ here...

Hello everyone,

I'm Bethy, and I have recently (two months ago) discovered my INFJ preferences. I was first introduced to the MBTI by a former boss who was providing me with some career counseling. He thought he had my type pegged already (ISTJ - his main evidence for this was that I had studied German and was good at auditing files. Heh.) but advised me to take the test on my own. I took a free online version (I think it was the Humanmetrics one) and came out INFP. Which is what I thought I was, until I had one of those Aha!-moments and realized that Introverted Feeling was not my forte. So I sprung for the real MBTI, came out INFJ, and had that verified (both self and with a counselor). So here I am.

The first book I read on the subject was Keirsey's Please Understand Me II (which is a different theory, I know. And I didn't find his profiles and descriptions very helpful - he simultaneously idealizes and denigrates NFs to an insane degree). I just finished Isabel Briggs Myers' Gifts Differing, which I found very interesting. Kroeger and Thuesen's Type Talk was okay, but it dealt too much in stereotypes (P's do this, F's do that, etc). The writers I have found most helpful have been Berens and Nardi. I've read their book The Sixteen Types, and I hope to read more of them soon.

And there you have my type background. I'm looking forward to posting with you all!

MBTI
    INTJ

Hi and welcome, Bethy.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Welcome Bethy

Quote Originally Posted by Bethy View Post
    The first book I read on the subject was Keirsey's Please Understand Me II (which is a different theory, I know. And I didn't find his profiles and descriptions very helpful - he simuntaneously idealizes and denigrates NFs to an insane degree).
    Uh huh. Haven't read him for awhile, but that is probably the curse of the INTP theorist in him -- he admires y'all idealistically, since you connect with people in a way he never can, yet consistently downplays or undermines other aspects of NF'ers.

(But this seems to be common, for example where Feeler types often have their thinking downplayed and Thinkers have their feeling capacity downplayed.)

I just finished Isabel Briggs Myers' Gifts Differing, which I found very interesting. Kroeger and Thuesen's Type Talk was okay, but it dealt too much in stereotypes (P's do this, F's do that, etc). The writers I have found most helpful have been Berens and Nardi. I've read their book The Sixteen Types, and I hope to read more of them soon.
    Berens/Nardi have put out a series of nice little 60-page oversized books like that (if it is the one I am recalling). I have one of the titles but would like to get the others, especially with Berens' explorations into the Shadow Self functional analysis.

Lenore Thomson has a more "hardcore" title exploring the eight functions along with potential brain structure influences. The link is to a wikisite run by interested readers using her work as a springboard.

Naomi Quenk has also done interesting work exploring the impact/influence of the inferior function.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Lenore Thomson has a more "hardcore" title exploring the eight functions along with potential brain structure influences. The link is to a wikisite run by interested readers using her work as a springboard.

Naomi Quenk has also done interesting work exploring the impact/influence of the inferior function.
    I've just started exploring the inferior (my Extraverted Sensing!) and shadow functions, so this will be helpful

Thank you so much, Jennifer!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I've just started exploring the inferior (my Extraverted Sensing!) and shadow functions, so this will be helpful. Thank you so much, Jennifer!
    My pleasure, and hopefully the other content of this forum will be helpful to you as well.

Glad you are here.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Hello everyone,

I'm Bethy, and I have recently (two months ago) discovered my INFJ preferences. I was first introduced to the MBTI by a former boss who was providing me with some career counseling. He thought he had my type pegged already (ISTJ - his main evidence for this was that I had studied German and was good at auditing files. Heh.) but advised me to take the test on my own. I took a free online version (I think it was the Humanmetrics one) and came out INFP. Which is what I thought I was, until I had one of those Aha!-moments and realized that Introverted Feeling was not my forte. So I sprung for the real MBTI, came out INFJ, and had that verified (both self and with a counselor). So here I am.

The first book I read on the subject was Keirsey's Please Understand Me II (which is a different theory, I know. And I didn't find his profiles and descriptions very helpful - he simultaneously idealizes and denigrates NFs to an insane degree). I just finished Isabel Briggs Myers' Gifts Differing, which I found very interesting. Kroeger and Thuesen's Type Talk was okay, but it dealt too much in stereotypes (P's do this, F's do that, etc). The writers I have found most helpful have been Berens and Nardi. I've read their book The Sixteen Types, and I hope to read more of them soon.

And there you have my type background. I'm looking forward to posting with you all!
    Hello, Bethy. Welcome to MBTI Central. Feel free to ask any questions you may have about MBTI or psychology in general.

You seem knowledgeable, and I'll be glad to hear your input in our discussions.

How much did it cost you to take the actual MBTI, by the way?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    How much did it cost you to take the actual MBTI, by the way?
    That is a good question.

And was it the normal MBTI, or the MBTI Step II?
    (I badly want to take the Step II, but the cheapest I can find it online is $99.)

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Hi, and welcome!

MBTI
    ESTJ

Welcome.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp