User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That is a good question.

And was it the normal MBTI, or the MBTI Step II?
    (I badly want to take the Step II, but the cheapest I can find it online is $99.)
    That's how much mine cost. It had two sections: One was a straightforward questionnaire, and the second asked a set of questions regarding each preference.

I don't know if the latter part was Type II, or just part of the regular MBTI...?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Bethy View Post
    That's how much mine cost. It had two sections: One was a straightforward questionnaire, and the second asked a set of questions regarding each preference.

I don't know if the latter part was Type II, or just part of the regular MBTI...?

What the Step II [sorry, it's Step, not Type -- my bad!] test does is break each of the eight functions into five subcategories. (They are mentioned elsewhere here and on Wiki as well, if you are interested.)

So now there is some distinction between types of Extroverts (for example) or types of Feelers, because perhaps one Extrovert has only some of the extroverted traits and scores high in one or two of the five Introverted traits while still remaining an Extrovert overall. (Is that clear?)

Breaking down the functions really helps better describe particular individuals who might deviate from the "standard" 4-letter type they ascribe to overall.

So you would have probably noticed if each of your four letters was broken down into five subcharacteristics.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Breaking down the functions really helps better describe particular individuals who might deviate from the "standard" 4-letter type they ascribe to overall.
    Just be clear, the reason for the sub factors is for test validity more than descriptive terms.

It does, however, emphasise the fact that two Es might have the same cognitive makeup yet express widely different behaviours (typically a person answers "positive" on 3/5, neutral on 1/5 and negative 1/5 - as a result, it is possible for two Es to have only one expressed trait in common!)

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Hi Bethy Welcome aboard and I hope you enjoy yourself here. Glad you're here.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    INFP

Howdy and welcome! I'm new, too!
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters

MBTI
    INFJ

Well, that was fast.

If I'm going to get rapped across the knuckles for begging to differ with negative blanket statements about types then there is no point in spending any time here.

Goodbye, farewell, adieu. It was nice while it lasted. Logging off now.

MBTI
    INTj

"The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

"Mutely withdrawing from human contact"

MBTI
    INTJ

Smile

Hello everyone,

I'm Bethy, and I have recently (two months ago) discovered my INFJ preferences. I was first introduced to the MBTI by a former boss who was providing me with some career counseling. He thought he had my type pegged already (ISTJ - his main evidence for this was that I had studied German and was good at auditing files. Heh.) but advised me to take the test on my own. I took a free online version (I think it was the Humanmetrics one) and came out INFP. Which is what I thought I was, until I had one of those Aha!-moments and realized that Introverted Feeling was not my forte. So I sprung for the real MBTI, came out INFJ, and had that verified (both self and with a counselor). So here I am.

The first book I read on the subject was Keirsey's Please Understand Me II (which is a different theory, I know. And I didn't find his profiles and descriptions very helpful - he simultaneously idealizes and denigrates NFs to an insane degree). I just finished Isabel Briggs Myers' Gifts Differing, which I found very interesting. Kroeger and Thuesen's Type Talk was okay, but it dealt too much in stereotypes (P's do this, F's do that, etc). The writers I have found most helpful have been Berens and Nardi. I've read their book The Sixteen Types, and I hope to read more of them soon.

And there you have my type background. I'm looking forward to posting with you all!
    Hi Bethy,

My favorite books are the ones by Paul Tieger and Babara Barron like Do What You Are.
    They're a lot more positive than others I have read.

Welcome to the forum.

Well, that was fast.

If I'm going to get rapped across the knuckles for begging to differ with negative blanket statements about types then there is no point in spending any time here.

Goodbye, farewell, adieu. It was nice while it lasted. Logging off now.
    This was of great interest to me. At first, scratching my head and looking for contextual clues did nothing, so I logged in and looked at some of Bethy's more recent posts.

I can see her reasoning and the "offending" parties' thoughts concerning types. It's odd though, because the purpose of a type is to generalize, define, and even pigeonhole someone, and yet Jennifer has pointed out via discussing MBTI Step II that even being "typed" isn't sufficient in addressing some key differences.

Personally, I would like to see MBTI results used solely for research, self-reflection, person-organization/culture/job fit and within the context of counseling: career, relationship, education, conflict. Of course, regarding career counseling job-fit or even educational goals, the MBTI is at best a guide, because an artist that happens to be an INFJ may bring unbelievably new contributions to art and same can be said for many other type/career combinations. Ultimately, we should do what we love and while I hope that what one loves is what one is best at, it is not necessary though it is expectantly inefficient.

Nevertheless, going full circle, I hope Bethy signs back in and certainly hope she is doing well.