User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Default I don't know *what* I am....

Long time listener, first time caller...

Well, not really. I just found this place today. Somehow, and I am unsure how, I found my way back into wondering about my whole MBTI type...probably having to do with minor work dissatisfaction....but I digress.

Live in Phoenix, married a long time, mid-40s.

So...my one question is...is it possible to change types over time? Not force the change...but have it change organically?

One of my previous jobs was helping run an internship program at a graduate school's career center, where we gave the MBTI as part of the process. At the time (early-to-mid 1990s), I scored very strong ENTP, with a "P" so off the chart my boss asked "how do you even get to work in the morning?" to which I replied..."well, you'll remember I *do* live in the apartments across the street...".

However, of late (past 5-8 years), I notice myself drifting away from the "E" into the "I". I consider myself mildly misanthropic on a good day. I like my friends, and folks I deal with who have similar interests, but not many others.

I used to like going to parties with friends, but was never much on the 'walk up to a stranger and start talking' person. General social obligations bore me, though I can (could) appear as if I loved them...back when I really cared. I could still do it, if I could be bothered to even care about not looking like I think the social obligation is just that...an obligation.

Having recently re-taken the MBTI online (a couple different sites...the short version because I am too cheap to pay for it), I come out INTP.

When I am with friends, or in a setting of mutual interest (such as a shooting competition with other folks), I am outgoing, talkative and interested in others...even if they're different MBTI types.

In looking over the E and I things, I can see where I can slide back and forth between the two. I love languages (teaching myself spoken Mandarin because I am currently bored and want an intellectual challenge), I love to argue/debate but abhor folks to devolve into ad hominem because I view it as "when you run out of arguments, call them names."

I love languages, but hate computer programming. Love to think big thoughts and dream up ideas, suck at implementation. Will start a project, then get bored and stop working on it. Love to read, love to watch movies, like to listen to music, but can't stand it when my wife turns on the TV for background noise...if it's something interesting, I HAVE to sit down and watch it.

I like writing, and want to write for a living, but can't get off my ass to do it, preferring the comfort-zone of running an Internet retail business...but hate retail.

I can definitely come up with some off-the-wall shit that makes even some of my more callous and hardened friends cringe. Am pretty adept at not stepping on my...self...in social situations, but if I get excited find myself swearing like a pirate if a pirate used the language I do.

I am in touch with my feelings, just don't care to share them with anyone other than my wife, and sometimes not even her. I think this is an NT thing more though....

Do they have an E/INTP designation?

So far, I am liking the board...interesting discussions, including the minutiae of word meanings.. (Oh that description SO fit me....).

There you have it.

Timmay

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

You're human right? At least you have that?

Welcome. Hopefully the forum will help figure out your type.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

The rumor is I am human, and I am inclined to believe that. Some folks might argue otherwise, but I doubt their sincerity.

I guess I am not so worried whether there "can" be a mixed E/INTP, since I believe myself to be one...I think I am on the cusp betwixt the E and I...but I am definitely xNTP. I don't consider myself an odd-ball, well, apart from all my other male friends liking team sports, which I detest. I like solitary sports...poker, Kendo, shooting, golf...where your skill is what matters, not relying on others.

Did I mention I have a PhD in Misanthropology?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    The rumor is I am human, and I am inclined to believe that. Some folks might argue otherwise, but I doubt their sincerity.

Did I mention I have a PhD in Misanthropology?
    OMG, no wai. Me too!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post

OMG, no wai. Me too!
    How is that possible...I thought INFJ were nuturer's and warm, caring people. Are you playing against type, or is this the MBTI equivalent of "on the internet, nobody knows if you're a dog..."?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

How is that possible...I thought INFJ were nuturer's and warm, caring people. Are you playing against type, or is this the MBTI equivalent of "on the internet, nobody knows if you're a dog..."?

Oh, that's all rubbish they print in the profiles. We're all cynical, you'll see.

No, I'm selectively misanthropic. For a few, I am indeed the warm and caring nurturer. But I did indeed set the bar in my class for misanthropy. No one can evidence the suspicion, distrust, and pure hatred I hold in my heart for humanity. Summa cum laude.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    Summa cum laude.
    I sometimes think I wrote the textbook and syllabus.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

I sometimes think I wrote the textbook and syllabus.
    That's not possible. Because I wrote the textbook. Perhaps you wrote the workbook.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Perhaps...but I can say that whoever wrote those ads for Ally Bank, where the guy is messing with those kids, is my hero.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I mentioned being misanthropic in my introduction thread, too.

Welcome!!!

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles