User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Hello World!

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by shadowstormz View Post
    Is C# anything like C or C++?
    C# is like the precocious child of Java and C++. It has all the wonderful Object-Orientedness of Java while retaining much of the core "under-the-hood" functioanlity of C++. Plus, with the Microsoft .NET environment, Visual Studio makes it ridiculously easy to build windows applications instead of having to deal with the console all the time. The windows forms editor in Visual Studio is significantly easier than trying to build GUIs in Java with Swing or AWT.

Anyway, C# is a fun and powerful language. Once you know Java and C++, you pretty much know C# except for a few completely new (ingenious) features added in, like the ability to pass methods around like variables(keyword: "delegate"). I'm loving it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
    C# is like the precocious child of Java and C++. It has all the wonderful Object-Orientedness of Java while retaining much of the core "under-the-hood" functioanlity of C++. Plus, with the Microsoft .NET environment, Visual Studio makes it ridiculously easy to build windows applications instead of having to deal with the console all the time. The windows forms editor in Visual Studio is significantly easier than trying to build GUIs in Java with Swing or AWT.

Anyway, C# is a fun and powerful language. Once you know Java and C++, you pretty much know C# except for a few completely new (ingenious) features added in, like the ability to pass methods around like variables(keyword: "delegate"). I'm loving it.
    But is it cross-platform? Will it work with other operating systems like Linux, FreeBSD, OS X? Isn't it proprietary/dependent on Windows?

MBTI
    INTJ

Actually, there are some ways to run it on other platforms, but that is true. It is not nearly as platform independent as Java, though it is more powerful.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
    Actually, there are some ways to run it on other platforms, but that is true. It is not nearly as platform independent as Java, though it is more powerful.
    What would be the best language to use if you need something more platform independent?

Can C# be legally run/compiled on other platforms without paying a licensing fee to Microsoft? In other words, is it an open standard that could be implemented on another platform? Parts of it are patented. Are they the important parts or just Windows-specific functionality?

I have to admit, I'm concerned because I use Linux, and a development like this, if it's widely accepted, could push everyone back into Windows.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Hi there! Welcome.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by AllAboutSoul View Post
    Hi there! Welcome.
    Thankies! I'm seeing so many fellow INFJs!