User Tag List

Thread: Hi...

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Default Hi...

I've been interested in personality theory on and off for a while now. Free online tests place me as INFP. However I'm also diagnosed with ADHD and I have to wonder if the cognitive deficits associated with that (poor working/short-term memory, impulse inhibition, etc.) might be causing me to behave as most Ps behave for reasons other than most Ps behave that way. In other words, maybe the neurological mechanisms that causes the average P to be spontaneous and less organised aren't the same as those causing me to be like that.

I suspect that most Ps CAN plan and remember sequences for multi-step tasks reasonably well, and they CAN think through consequences thoroughly before acting if they decide to; they just prefer not to when they don't have to. The fact that there are other ADHD difficulties not associated with Ps as far as I know, e.g. failing miserably to keep up with a continuous flow of speech even when very interested in the content, taking much longer to read anything for understanding than my reading skills predict I should, makes me tend to favour this view of ADHD as on a distinct spectrum, rather than one end of the P spectrum, in neurological and cognitive terms.

The other possibility is that the ADHD brain structure is merely an extreme (to the point of maladaptivity) version of the P brain structure. If this were the case, we would expect Ps not extreme enough for an ADHD diagnosis to perform less well than Js in the cognitive tests that help to indicate the presence of ADHD. As far as I know, no such studies have been carried out.

Regardless, my behaviour is undoubtedly P-ish (so very P-ish I've been scarcely functioning in several areas of life, hence the diagnosis) I just think it worth pointing out that it's possible that aspects of my brain structure are in fact more similar to those of Js. If P and J really do determine whether a function is 'introverted' or 'extraverted' (I'm not aware of how this aspect of the theory came into being), then it's possible that Ni and Fe are dominant for me, despite my P-ish behaviour. I don't know enough about neurological and psychological research into these traits or abilities to form much of an opinion either way. I know quite a lot about findings regarding the ADHD brain and cognitive profile, but not about any looking for differences between different kinds of people within the healthy range of these behavioural/cognitive spectra. If anyone knows any, I'd be glad to hear of it, as it would be the best way I can think of to settle the issue.

Anyway, I am finally receiving some appropriate help to become independent and make use of my talents and my main goals for the future are getting things published and starting a career in learning support (student mentoring, note-taking, proofreading, things like that).

Other than that, I guess I'll just say hi and offer to answer any questions.

- CPR

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Hi there, compulsiverambler!
    I do not know very much about ADHD. It is my understanding that Perceivers are simply less decisive that Judgers. Before making decisions, everyone takes some time to gather enough relevant information before coming to a final conclusion and taking appropriate actions based on that conclusion. Percievers tend to want to spend more time in that information gathering process. They feel the need to leave the matter open-ended as they explore their options. They do not feel the need that Judgers do to bring the matter to a swift conclusion and to back that conclusion up with definate actions. I think it would be more helpful to take these aspects into consideration than to look at how organized and focused you are. It seems to me that an ADHD Judger might err more on the side of being too rash and acting on too little information and that a Perceiver with the same disorder would spend even more time trying to see a situation clearly as such a person would have less ability to stay focused. But, like I said, I don't know very much about ADHD, so I could be wrong.

I'm sure your disorder must pose real challenge to you on your journey of self discovery. I have two autistic children and sometimes it is very hard to see who they really are apart from their disorder. It seems to me that as you look at yourself, you are having some trouble seeing who you truly are beyond your disorder. You seem to be very determined though, so I think that there is much hope for you. You are much more than a person with ADHD, and I wish you all the best of luck as you strive to reach beyond your challenges to the realization of your dreams! I hope you find this forum helpful to that end. Glad to have you!
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.
    ~ Groucho Marx

Phantonym

Welcome to the forums, compulsiverambler! Teehee. Great username

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Welcome to the Forums! glad to have you here

Welcome.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Hi Welcome, glad to have you on board.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    INxJ

Welcome

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Edited: People really have some cool avatars here! I'll have to get one...

Quote Originally Posted by Star W View Post
    Hi there, compulsiverambler!
    I do not know very much about ADHD. It is my understanding that Perceivers are simply less decisive that Judgers. Before making decisions, everyone takes some time to gather enough relevant information before coming to a final conclusion and taking appropriate actions based on that conclusion. Percievers tend to want to spend more time in that information gathering process. They feel the need to leave the matter open-ended as they explore their options. They do not feel the need that Judgers do to bring the matter to a swift conclusion and to back that conclusion up with definate actions. I think it would be more helpful to take these aspects into consideration than to look at how organized and focused you are. It seems to me that an ADHD Judger might err more on the side of being too rash and acting on too little information and that a Perceiver with the same disorder would spend even more time trying to see a situation clearly as such a person would have less ability to stay focused. But, like I said, I don't know very much about ADHD, so I could be wrong.

I'm sure your disorder must pose real challenge to you on your journey of self discovery. I have two autistic children and sometimes it is very hard to see who they really are apart from their disorder. It seems to me that as you look at yourself, you are having some trouble seeing who you truly are beyond your disorder. You seem to be very determined though, so I think that there is much hope for you. You are much more than a person with ADHD, and I wish you all the best of luck as you strive to reach beyond your challenges to the realization of your dreams! I hope you find this forum helpful to that end. Glad to have you!
    I think you're absolutely right about seeing who I really am. ADHD is much more multi-faceted and complex than the name suggests, so understanding and predicting your own behaviour is a major challenge. I will consider what you suggest about decision making patterns.

I find that I'm very impatient (hate waiting and activities of delayed gratification) and do and say things before thinking at all more often than I should, which are ADHD traits and could be seen as either more J or more P depending on your point of view but perhaps are independent of them. As to whether I'm more process-oriented or closure-oriented, I really don't know; it seems to depend on the situation, how I'm feeling and how what I'm getting out of the task.

It is further complicated by the fact that there is some evidence that people with ADHD struggle to monitor our own behaviour and see ourselves either objectively or as onlookers may see us. I think this is probably related to our poor sense of the passing time and difficulty consciously viewing the present moment as one of a sequence of events in a linear narrative, in which the actions of every moment will inevitably affect the course of every proceeding moment. Instead, each moment seems very self-contained and disconnected from every other, certainly from the future, which makes whatever we're doing right now difficult to interpret as part of a chronological big picture. This is explained in at least one article on the web as the ADHD person being intuitively aware of just two times: now and not now.

In the majority of cases, until the crash and burn happens, untreated adult ADHDers rate their functioning much more highly than those close to them do, because they don't feel like what they're doing most of the day is procrastinating, they aren't aware of how consistently they're under-estimating how long tasks will take and they don't know that it's not normal to misplace and forget things as frequently as they do because each day is remembered as a confusing blur of unrelated thoughts and moments in which somehow, for some reason, little got accomplished again. For similar reasons, I'm finding it quite hard to assess my own preferred decision making style, but I'll certainly give it some more thought.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

Welcome.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    meh

Heya CR. Nice to meetcha.