User Tag List

First 12

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Hey there! Welcome aboard.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
    Welcome.

introverted intuition + introverted thinking = someone who can understand complex and subtle concepts involving abstract models in relation to factual details.

That seems like an excellent combination for the hard sciences to me. It just depends on how developed Ti is and what one's exposure was to science and mathematics at a young age.

Did you study a certain realm of physics? Mechanics? Electricity & Magnetism? Relativity? Quantum? I particularly enjoy the formulation of General Relativity, but have found that it is actually used very little in engineering. So, I can relate to being engrossed by the world of physics but suddenly realizing that it doesn't really aid in improving the world beyond the core pursuit of ultimate knowledge of the universe. That's why I entered engineering rather than physics and then leaned toward computer science.

From my perspective, INFJs who are intelligent about the sciences are awesome but rare. Cheers.
    I showed an aptitude for math and science at a VERY young age - apparently I was doing multiplication in kindergarten, which sounds pretty nuts to me but my mother swears by it. I was one of those kids that could instantly calculate in my head for no good reason. I was fortunate that it was encouraged by a teacher taking me out of class twice a week to work on math & logic related problems. I've been tested as having an excellant use of Ti, but I contend that I only seem to use it strongly in an academic setting. In my personal life, I seem to just use it to analyze my feelings and when I need to detach from a situation to get a better handle on it. I also tend to use Ti when analyzing human relationships and systems, but again, it's not in the forefront of my personality anywhere but in an academic setting. I would question my INFJ preferences if at my core, I didn't truly relate to the NF temperment - mainly the need for my work to focus on human potential & growth. I also always wondered what route I would've taken had math & science not been encouraged so strongly by my parents and teachers. I've felt really conflicted my entire life between what I'm good at and what I truly need to be satisfied. It's been a struggle to find a balance, hence why I am seriously considering teaching Physics.

I studied Atmospheric Physics (heavy on the thermodynamics). I did always take an interest in Quantum Theory & Relativity - but mainly for theoretical, mind feeding purposes (as in theory is fun for me!). In Atmospheric Physics, I took a particular interest in the formation of weather systems - all of the factors coming together & relating to one another to form an end result.

How do you like Engineering as compared to a more straight science path?

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Welcome! I've seen you around.

I am an INTJ/INFJ, so I'm kinda like you in a way. Do you struggle with perfectionism?
    YES!

It's my biggest downfall. I'm hardest on myself, but I think it accidentally extends to other people as well. I never mean it to effect anyone else, but I've heard complaints about how people feel they can't live up to my expectations and how I expect an ideal relationship. Provided, I'm rarely conscious of it (and I always feel awful when it's brought to my attention) so I like to say that I'm such a perfectionist that it oozes out of me.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Hello, quietgirl. Welcome to MBTI Central. I've seen some of your posts. I would say that I'm rather interested in learning as well. I think that if I understand myself and others well enough, that will be beneficial for them. I think something about people is revealed in every thing we create, and in the very way we understand things, so that's why I'm so curious about everything.

I've always been conflicted in a way many NF's aren't. It seems like most of them are confused between INFP and INFJ, while for me, it was always INFJ and INTJ, and I've never identified much with INFP at all. You'd think the latter confusion would be more common, since those two both have the same dominant, and the other two have completely different functions.
    I've never tested INFP and the descriptions have never resonated with me. Also, my brother is an INFP, and while we have some similarities, for the most part we're very different. I've actually flipped to INTP more than INTJ, as strange as that sounds. However, there are fundamental differences between an INTP and me - mainly coming from my very strong Ni way of perceiving, I'm guessing. Our biggest arguments have stemmed from my need to create closure because I have gathered all of the necessary information and his need to continue gathering the information, thus keeping his options wide open.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by quietgirl View Post
    How do you like Engineering as compared to a more straight science path?
    Engineering is more about coming up with clever and creative solutions to solve problems rather than needing specific, mathematical solutions to expand existing fundamental models. Thus, engineering tends to be more creative and less regimented. It also tends to be more about actually doing things rather than simply analyzing data (though we do that too sometimes).

There are some engineers who are more practical, working as technicians. But since I mainly work with the computer software side of engineering analysis, I am highly theoretical and deal with creating simulations of real-world systems. So in that respect, I lean back toward physics and the abstract sciences. Beying as abstract as I am, I love it. I see it as facilitating our ability to expand the state of knowledge and the capabilities we have in air and space.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
    Engineering is more about coming up with clever and creative solutions to solve problems rather than needing specific, mathematical solutions to expand existing fundamental models. Thus, engineering tends to be more creative and less regimented. It also tends to be more about actually doing things rather than simply analyzing data (though we do that too sometimes).

There are some engineers who are more practical, working as technicians. But since I mainly work with the computer software side of engineering analysis, I am highly theoretical and deal with creating simulations of real-world systems. So in that respect, I lean back toward physics and the abstract sciences. Beying as abstract as I am, I love it. I see it as facilitating our ability to expand the state of knowledge and the capabilities we have in air and space.
    Hmm. Maybe I just had a bad professor when I took an Engineering class. The field seems rather interesting. It's been a struggle for me to find a way to help out humanity in some way while using my natural math/science way of thinking.

MBTI
    INTJ

Teaching physics sounds like a wonderful way for you to apply math/science to the great benefit of humanity. Seriously, encouraging kids to become enthusiastic about science is tough and we need talented, caring people to do it. Go for it.