User Tag List

Thread: Howdy

MBTI
    FREE

Default Howdy

I am an INTP who has come here after being banned from INTPc and INTJf for breaking rules not written in their FAQ section. I suppose the inclusion of ambiguous and/or unwritten rules allows for a greater degree of discipline left to the discretion of the moderators, but I for one am glad to see the rules here are more clearly written.

I look forward to sharing ideas/conversations with all of you.

On People:

I am basically an easy going fellow. Very little truly bothers me, although I may express some ill humor if someone is being particularly annoying. I really appreciate honest strangeness. By honest I mean an inherent strangeness that exists in someone because they refrain from conforming to social norms. I DON'T mean someone who goes out of his/her way to be different than everyone else. The former shows a kind of self respect and confidence, the latter simply a desire for self definition through nonconformity.

Knowledge is a very important part of my life. Not necessarily book-smarts or classroom knowledge, but a general desire for and love of knowledge in every form. Whether someone is gaining kinesthetic knowledge by mastering the mute on her snowboard, or she is simply versing herself in the subtleties of Robert Frost's "Acquainted With The Night," she is my type of person. I suppose one could say if someone has a particular goal for bettering him/herself in some way, he/she is my type of person.

Rude people bother me. I don't mean people who are rude to everyone without exception. People like that are simply being themselves and fit into the first group in the first paragraph on people. I am talking about people who are selectively rude to groups or types of people they feel are not worthy of their respect. Everyone deserves an equal opportunity for being treated respectfully. If there is an appropriate reason to refrain from being polite, be my guest. However, if a person does nothing to warrant mistreatment, be nice.

On Lifestyle:

My goal in life is to be happy. Thusly, my lifestyle is tailored to provide me with the happiest existence possible. Obviously, lacking complete knowledge of what makes someone truly happy, I must make an educated guess. Family, love, friendship, knowledge, and a feeling of self fulfillment are all high my priority list. It is because they provide me with a great deal of personal satisfaction that I consider them so important.

My family is something I give the utmost priority in my life. I consider my family to be the main line of defense against feelings of woe and sorrow. There have been times in my life when I struggled with personal demons and had to face tremendous hardships, and during those times my family was there to see me through. There is an unconditional love that exists in the bonds between family members that doesn't exist anywhere else. It is that love that I cherish and rely on to keep me smiling.

I am on a never ending search for love. Love is something most everyone has a deep desire for, both to give and to receive. For non-family members it is a very intense and mercurial sort of bond. Sometimes very strong and other times very fragile, it provides me with very intense inner feelings that I can get from no other source. Although it can lead to tremendous sadness, it is very important for establishing a future family. I currently rely solely on previous generation family for support, but I hope to one day be married and have children, so that I may rely on them for support and strength.

Friendship offers something that family and intimate relationships cannot offer, a break from family and intimate relations. Sometimes it is wise to break free from all that is serious and just have a little bit of fun. With friends I am given the chance to explore all facets of my personality: silly, stupid, adventurous, quiet, calm, dominant, submissive, etc. I take my friendships very seriously and try to be the best possible friend I can be (not always easy as I have an undeveloped awareness of the feelings of others).

Aristotle states that "All men by nature desire knowledge." I am no exception to his statement. As previously stated, knowledge is very important to me. I embrace all types of knowledge: linguistic, logical-mathematical, spatial, bodily-kinesthetic, musical, interpersonal, intrapersonal, naturalistic, etc. I live for the experience of anything and everything. I love to read, write, watch television (science channel, discovery channel, etc.), go to school, browse the net, and a multitude of other things simply because of the knowledge I gain by doing them. Most of all, I love to quietly contemplate the various curiousities that exist in our world. It is from my quiet contemplation that I gain a vast amount of my understanding of the world.

What is life without the setting of goals and the attaining of those goals. If I never had anywhere to strive toward, anything to strive for, or anyone to strive to be like, I would have no sense of accomplishment in my life. I would be a motionless mass waiting to die on a street corner somewhere. Everyday I wake up with the desire to change something about myself. Whether it is a part of my personality that needs improvement, or simply completing an assignment for school, I set daily goals for myself. I suppose you could call me a driven person who is willing to do what it takes to get what he wants.

On Values:

I do not have values in the traditional sense of the word. To most, values are seen as a set of rules about life which one should follow to be seen as an ethical individual. Do not have sex until marriage, do not kill, do not covet thy neighbor's wife, etc. For instance, people of religious upbringing often look toward the divine command theory of ethics to establish their values. What God says is right is right, and what God says is wrong is wrong. Thusly, if God were to say to the people of our world that murder has become the right thing to do, murder would no longer be an immoral act, but an act of morality.

Rather than rely on a set of rules passed down to me, I rely on cold, harsh logic to establish my values. Most often this leads me to follow the utilitarianist's view that an action is deemed right insofar as it produces the greatest amount of happiness for the greatest number of people and offers the greatest reduction in unhappiness for the greatest number of people. Simply put, do whatever makes most people happy and the least number of people unhappy. Obviously proximity and time are important factors in making an ethical choice using the utilitarianist philosophy. My personal satisfaction or the satisfaction of those closest to me carries much greater weight than the satisfaction of those persons many miles away. Also, I am most often willing to sacrifice the present happiness of myself and others if it means a greater amount of happiness in the future.

On Politics and Government:

I vote. There is not much else I can say about politics or the government without sounding ill informed. I deeply respect and support our republic and even though I may disagree with certain policies set forth by the current administration, I am basically comfortable with the current climate. If I had to be classified, one could call me a Moderate-Conservative Democrat. I am a Moderate-Conservative because I don't believe there is a need for any immediate radical changes to our government's policies. I am a Democrat because if I had the choice, I would most likely prefer a Democrat in the White House. However, I would not be indisposed to having a Republican in the White House, so long as he/she does not continue along the path that the current administration is heading.

*Note: The popular uses of the terms liberal and conservative are much different than how I used them above. In traditional political theory, there is a spectrum consisting of 5 main elements. The reactionaries are the furthest to the right, and believe in backward change through the use of violence. The conservatives are mid-right and believe that no change is necessary (they are the most content of the 5 groups). The moderates believe in a gradual change through the use of non-violence. Liberals are mid-left and believe that much change is necessary and are willing to use all facets of the law to enact those changes. Radicals and the furthest to the left, and believe much change is necessary, and are willing to (and do) use violence as a means of enacting those changes.

On Humor:

What can I say? I have a perverse sense of humor. Family Guy, South Park, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, all provide excellent examples of my type of humor. I am a "what if" man. Delving into the darker side of humanity, the obscure and unnatural, my humor is that which normal, refined society would refer to as sick and twisted. Sure, I can see the hilarity in more appropriate forms of comedy; but to get me to really laugh, it must be something that would make others vomit with disgust. Even worse, most of my enjoyment comes at the expense of others. If someone else feels bad about his/herself as a result, it seems funnier. Of course if he/she is truly hurt by the experience it's not funny, but if only slightly embarrassed, it is hilarious.

Welcome

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Long introduction. Short reply: Welcome to the Forums!

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I suppose the inclusion of ambiguous and/or unwritten rules allows for a greater degree of discipline left to the discretion of the moderators, but I for one am glad to see the rules here are more clearly written.
    Well I'm glad you're glad. And the difference is quantities of alcohol.

In other words, I was drinking more thee years ago then I was one year ago.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INxJ

Welcome

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Hi Welcome, glad to have you on board.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

Phantonym

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    On Humor:

What can I say? I have a perverse sense of humor. Family Guy, South Park, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, all provide excellent examples of my type of humor. I am a "what if" man. Delving into the darker side of humanity, the obscure and unnatural, my humor is that which normal, refined society would refer to as sick and twisted. Sure, I can see the hilarity in more appropriate forms of comedy; but to get me to really laugh, it must be something that would make others vomit with disgust. Even worse, most of my enjoyment comes at the expense of others. If someone else feels bad about his/herself as a result, it seems funnier. Of course if he/she is truly hurt by the experience it's not funny, but if only slightly embarrassed, it is hilarious.
    Oh, really? Hmmm...interesting. Can't wait for you to unleash your perversion. This should be veeeeery interesting

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Nice to see you here Jonnyboy.
    "If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see."
    Thoreau

MBTI
    ESFJ

Welcome
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ENTP

I will read your intro if your post's prove to be insightful or entertaining.

In the mean time, welcome!